Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand the continuing Bedwetter's rant about selling our best players.If they wish to leave, there is nothing the club can do to stop them.BUILD AN UNDERGROUND BUNKER AND KEEP THEM AT THE CLUB AGAINST THEIR WILL
We already have an underground bunker, it's called the lower Gwladys Street. Locking players in there is a violation of the Geneva conventions.

You dismiss that player and dont know who he is. Brilliant.
You said we could sign players with proven pedigree for the same or less than what we have paid for Pickford and Klaasen. You also said we should go for "Japanese kid from Cologne" to show Lukaku we mean business. So how do you feel he is proven pedigree when compared to Klaasen?

You said we could sign players with proven pedigree for the same or less than what we have paid for Pickford and Klaasen. You also said we should go for "Japanese kid from Cologne" to show Lukaku we mean business. So how do you feel he is proven pedigree when compared to Klaasen?
He plays in an infinitely better league for a kick off.

I do not understand the continuing Bedwetter's rant about selling our best players.If they wish to leave, there is nothing the club can do to stop them.BUILD AN UNDERGROUND BUNKER AND KEEP THEM AT THE CLUB AGAINST THEIR WILL
It's pretty obvious mate, a little read through the early to mid days of this thread has a lot off pissy pant bed wetting nonsense, coupled with agenda driven nonsense. Put that into a mixing pot with a desperation to seek attention, call the club and not be wrong on the internet. Well, you get this.

How is that a departure from what we've always tried to do?!

How many players overs ( say ) the last ten years, have he bought and then sold at a profit who havn't been first team regulars ?

Off the top of my head, recently, we've had Naismith ( though he came on a free ) and Oviedo ( though the profit was fairly minor ), but they were both squad players. If you think back to the players where we've bought and then sold at a profit, the main ones are Stones and Arteta, but :-

a ) They both wanted to go and
b ) They were first team regulars

Other players we sold ( to buy ) came through the ranks so didn't cost us anything. Rooney, Rodwell and Anichebe are the obvious examples.
We're now spending money on young players who may, or may not make the grade at first team. This isn't totally new, it started under Martinez with the likes of Galloway, but we're spending more on them now, and appear to be following a slightly different model than we did in the past.

Are we still likely to be a sell to buy club ? Yes, to a certain extent, but that'll likely include selling players after two or three years who have improved, but not enough to feature regularly so we'll sell them on for a profit. Obviously you'll focus on the high-profile sales, but almost all clubs will suffer from that, it's just the way the world of football is these days.

It's pretty obvious mate, a little read through the early to mid days of this thread has a lot off pissy pant bed wetting nonsense, coupled with agenda driven nonsense. Put that into a mixing pot with a desperation to seek attention, call the club and not be wrong on the internet. Well, you get this.
Ridiculous comment. You'd think we'd been going out signing galacticos all summer to read that ^^^.

How many players overs ( say ) the last ten years, have he bought and then sold at a profit who havn't been first team regulars ?

Off the top of my head, recently, we've had Naismith ( though he came on a free ) and Oviedo ( though the profit was fairly minor ), but they were both squad players. If you think back to the players where we've bought and then sold at a profit, the main ones are Stones and Arteta, but :-

a ) They both wanted to go and
b ) They were first team regulars

Other players we sold ( to buy ) came through the ranks so didn't cost us anything. Rooney, Rodwell and Anichebe are the obvious examples.
We're now spending money on young players who may, or may not make the grade at first team. This isn't totally new, it started under Martinez with the likes of Galloway, but we're spending more on them now, and appear to be following a slightly different model than we did in the past.

Are we still likely to be a sell to buy club ? Yes, to a certain extent, but that'll likely include selling players after two or three years who have improved, but not enough to feature regularly so we'll sell them on for a profit. Obviously you'll focus on the high-profile sales, but almost all clubs will suffer from that, it's just the way the world of football is these days.
...Lescott, Johnson, Fellaini...

...Lescott, Johnson, Fellaini...

Lescott's a good shout.
We made very little on Johnson though and,like Stones and Arteta, Fellaini wanted to go as well.

But, you're missing, or forgetting, or possibly, heaven forbid, ignoring my original point. All those three were first team regulars, and the point I was making was that we're now buying young talent in the hope that they'll become first team regulars,but, if they don't then we'll likely turn a profit on them and increase our revenue on player trading in a way that doesn't have a negative impact on the squad as selling your best talent does.

Obviously that doesn't mean that we won't be selling our best talent, but it does mean it's more likely that we're not selling our best talent purely for financial reasons, and a lot of the reasons will be down to the players themselves wanting to move on, which happens in all walks of life.

Feel free to continue ignoring my point though.

xxx

Lescott's a good shout.
We made very little on Johnson though and,like Stones and Arteta, Fellaini wanted to go as well.

But, you're missing, or forgetting, or possibly, heaven forbid, ignoring my original point. All those three were first team regulars, and the point I was making was that we're now buying young talent in the hope that they'll become first team regulars,but, if they don't then we'll likely turn a profit on them and increase our revenue on player trading in a way that doesn't have a negative impact on the squad as selling your best talent does.

Obviously that doesn't mean that we won't be selling our best talent, but it does mean it's more likely that we're not selling our best talent purely for financial reasons, and a lot of the reasons will be down to the players themselves wanting to move on, which happens in all walks of life.

Feel free to continue ignoring my point though.

xxx
That's been my understanding of most or nearly all our signings under Moyes and under Martinez. Yes we bought players that were veterans and in their prime, but so too are Bolasie, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Williams...and how has it ever just been the case in the past that players wanted to leave when we know that debts had to be covered and more than encouragement would have been given to get them out the door again?

I dont accept this is proving to be a pivotal period.

That's been my understanding of most or nearly all our signings under Moyes and under Martinez. Yes we bought players that were veterans and in their prime, but so too are Bolasie, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Williams...and how has it ever been the case in the past that players wanted to leave when we know that debts had to be covered and more than encouragement would have been given to get them out the door again?

I dont accept this is proving to be a pivotal period.

OK, so you've ignored my point again.
This makes me sad, so I hope you're happy now !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back