Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

......Ramsey wasn't in the business of handing out caps. Harvey and Temple were recognised but only just. Probably worth mentioning that the league was made up (almost entirely) of British players, so lots of English to select from.
Yes but southern players were always a favoured choice - there was discrimination no doubt in my mind |Ball Harvey , and Kendall would and should have walked into any England side - Managers like Bobby Robson would have chosen them instantly!

Yes but southern players were always a favoured choice - there was discrimination no doubt in my mind |Ball Harvey , and Kendall would and should have walked into any England side - Managers like Bobby Robson would have chosen them instantly!

....I played for a while in a team managed by Dave Hickson and he told me that in his day there was a real Southern bias, the team was picked by committee and your face had to fit.

roy-vernon-scores-in-the-merseyside-derby-of-september-1962-527085062.jpg

Roy Vernon nets for the blues

Very rare a header from Royston,can't actually remember ( if you could find footage,would be nice) something's stay crystal clear and other things become clouded ,over the years, I will be 80 this year,and will keep going while I have my health.
I have some great memories,shame the youngsters have not seen us win something,perhaps next year aye x
Not a header but never mind :

I don't think there is any footage of it,but there is a "Classic matches thread" on here mate,I couldn't believe my luck a few weeks ago I found Alex Youngs header v Spurs that 1963 title year and Ballys debut at Fulham 1966 which are in there,good for you mate,my old fella is 77 this year,still goes and enjoys it,it may not be great at the moment but its still Everton isn't it?:)
found thanks dario
http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/ITN/1963/04/20/FS200463014/?s=Everton Beat Spurs 1-0

Everton 1970,Brazil 1970,all was well in the football world that year Eggs:)

.....got me thinking Dario. Similar in '86, although it took Robson and Wilkins misfortune to introduce a backbone of Evertonians to turn the group stage around and reach the latter stages. Reid came in alongside Hoddle to form a really good partnership, with Trevor Stephen, Gary Stevens and Lineker.

That England side of 1970 was thought by many to be better than the '66 side. As you indicate, a few Evertonians involved, probably had Bobby Charlton not been substituted against West Germany we would have at least got to play Brazil (who only beat us 1-0 in the group stage). That was a magical World Cup and a magical Brazilian side.

.....got me thinking Dario. Similar in '86, although it took Robson and Wilkins misfortune to introduce a backbone of Evertonians to turn the group stage around and reach the latter stages. Reid came in alongside Hoddle to form a really good partnership, with Trevor Stephen, Gary Stevens and Lineker.

That England side of 1970 was thought by many to be better than the '66 side. As you indicate, a few Evertonians involved, probably had Bobby Charlton not been substituted against West Germany we would have at least got to play Brazil (who only beat us 1-0 in the group stage). That was a magical World Cup and a magical Brazilian side.
That World Cup was thought by many to have resulted in our poor defence of the title in 1970/71,Ball,Labone,Wright,Newton were "jaded" by their efforts in the heat of Mexico,when you consider Harvey,Kendall,Royle,West could potentially have joined them maybe its just as well those guys didn't make the squad,we could have gone from Champions to getting relegated:Blink:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back