Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Right on Mate. I always liked Gabby, sad to have him leave. Remember being at a derby way back when their manager was Shanks. WE had a problem with no.9s and had been experimenting with Gabby up front in the 9 shirt. We beat them and I think gabby scored. Shanks was not happy at all.
Love that cameo of Gabby near the corner flag at the end of the 1966 cup final keeping hold of the ball,Jimmy Melia was an ex RS,managed Brighton to the Cup Final in 1983 and bizarrely had a house near me in Ainsdale at the timelol

Problem is and no doubt others feel the same. When one has seen so many games it gets a bit hard searching the old memory banks for individual games, performances and incidents.

Talking of neighbours Dario, an old friend of mine lived in Maghull and just a couple of doors away lived Brian Harris.

Problem is and no doubt others feel the same. When one has seen so many games it gets a bit hard searching the old memory banks for individual games, performances and incidents.

Talking of neighbours Dario, an old friend of mine lived in Maghull and just a couple of doors away lived Brian Harris.
God,that takes me back,I lived in Maghull til I was seven,a lot of blues lived around there then,Sandy Brown,Alex Young,Tony Kay,Roy Vernon etc.happy days:)

Super hard this guy and undoubtedly a legend in blue.

302661-tim-cahill.webp

Round the corner from me!! I played footy occasionally with Brian Harris kid in their garden. Must have been about 1967 or so??? So Long ago!,

God,that takes me back,I lived in Maghull til I was seven,a lot of blues lived around there then,Sandy Brown,Alex Young,Tony Kay,Roy Vernon etc.happy days:)
West. Joe Royle's mum worked in the post office in the Square for years. Rememebr getting his autograph when he visited a mate of his who lived in Clent avenue, just around corner from me. I was playing in the street and he went past in green sports car to see this mate so I could not resist temptation to go to the house!!!
Jim
Pearson also later on.

That World Cup was thought by many to have resulted in our poor defence of the title in 1970/71,Ball,Labone,Wright,Newton were "jaded" by their efforts in the heat of Mexico,when you consider Harvey,Kendall,Royle,West could potentially have joined them maybe its just as well those guys didn't make the squad,we could have gone from Champions to getting relegated:Blink:
Absolutely true. We all saw that our players this season were undercooked so it was blatantly obvious in August 1970 that they were jaded, especially Ball.

There was a proper Commissionaire on duty there in full uniform matchdays. Quick story about that entrance...when we beat WBA to win the title in 69/70, my big bro had taken me to the match that night. Massed crowd exultant leaving the ground and bro's old mate Taff from the RAF bumped into us on Goodison Rd. By that entrance, bro says just wait there and don't move I wont be long (different times then of course) and went into the Winslow for a pint - they hadn't seen each other for years. The door was open and no Commissionaire...so I went in bored on my tod. Alan Ball senior was inside and I asked him if he'd autograph my proey which he did...then I nearly passed out as Bally himself came through and had a chat...I could hardly speak as he was my hero and he signed the programme too. My bro was frantic apparently outside looking for me and nearly passed out when I walked out with Bally on his way to put stuff in the car park ! Brother and Alan went too young...Bally's Dad too. God bless 'em all.
Ballys dad was nuts ,as a manager he jumped over the wall at least once and snotted someone in the crowd who was giving him grief.I remember reading Ballys book "Ball of fire" when Bally junior was getting ragged by his ma for ruining a new pair of shoes then his arl fella picked them up and was beaming telling his misses " look though hes using his left foot".

Me too! Don't forget Gordon West he lived in Maghull also. Met Joe Royle a couple of times outside the grounds.
I went to the infants school think it was Deyes Lane,my mum(knew nothing about footy,bless her!!) used to chat to a nice scottish bloke at the gates when it was hometime,one day my mum had a dentists appointment so my dad(a rabid blue!!)came to collect me,the scottish bloke turned out to be dear old Sandy Brown,my dad couldn't believe my old mum had been chatting to him for months and not known who he waslol

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back