Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

image.webp
Outside team hotel Bilbao again

Don't forget it was still the ilk of southern players playing for London teams always seem to get the call up were favourites - just imagine if we had a team with Ball Harvey , and Kendall in it today all three would be the basis of the England midfield team - It took an age for Joe Royle to play, and Bob Latchford.
The Late great Sir Bobby Robson seen his Ipswich team destroyed by them three, and passed comment of why they{ all three} were not playing for England and that was before we had been Champions with them!
So Kingy may have been on the fringes, but players from southern teams who were average were mostly chosen in that era!
some southern bog standard players off hand Alan Mullery - Martin Chivers - Peter Bonetti - Ray Wilkins - Northern players Nobby Styles - Jack Charlton there must have been many more who got caps Howard Kendall never got one what a joke!
Joey think Brian Labone was the first Everton player to be capped for England after the war, but don't think it was through
bias, we just didn't have anyone good enough, although Fielding and Eddie Wainwright came close.

Yes , and we got beat in the semi final by city at villa park 1-0 in a awful game!
You are right there Joey, the match was a real stinker, and just as I was thinking we can't be as bad in the replay,
Tommy( bleeding) Booth scored in the last minute to really f--k my day up and about 25000 Evertonians with me.

You are right there Joey, the match was a real stinker, and just as I was thinking we can't be as bad in the replay,
Tommy( bleeding) Booth scored in the last minute to really f--k my day up and about 25000 Evertonians with me.
I was there, crushed at the very back of the Holt end - Thousands got in without tickets as the exit wooden doors had been kicked in - m6 traffic hold up got there 15 minutes in my older brother concerned of safety for me as I was 14 years old, it was a omen they would pinch a streaky goal at the end!

Joey think Brian Labone was the first Everton player to be capped for England after the war, but don't think it was through
bias, we just didn't have anyone good enough, although Fielding and Eddie Wainwright came close.
Later on in the 1960's how could Howard Kendall never gain a cap , John Hurst, Colin Harvey only once in a nothing friendly in today's game that holy trinity would have been the cornerstone of the England midfield the late great Bobby Robson stated that, your right about Labby pure class!

I was there, crushed at the very back of the Holt end - Thousands got in without tickets as the exit wooden doors had been kicked in - m6 traffic hold up got there 15 minutes in my older brother concerned of safety for me as I was 14 years old, it was a omen they would pinch a streaky goal at the end!
I think that was the last time we lost a SF at Villa Park.

I think that was the last time we lost a SF at Villa Park.
Typical first ever semi final - we were favourites Kendall got badly injured early on the players looked like subbuteo size our position was so high up my brother never had to show his tickets as we just hurried in late we were looking for the correct turn style, and with 15 minutes gone we just heard a shout entrance open here so in we went to a the top end of the holt end what a crush fans were being sick as theory pushed in. I saw one blue dressed in nice cloths walking on the lower tier path having to wipe sick off himself with newspaper it was scary - it put me off ever going to a semi final again yet my older brother has continued to go!

Blimey that must have been hard going because it was a brilliant tense night with fabulous support for us. Good pitch invasion too at the end although I stayed in the stand!!!! Best behaviour hahaha.

Blimey that must have been hard going because it was a brilliant tense night with fabulous support for us. Good pitch invasion too at the end although I stayed in the stand!!!! Best behaviour hahaha.
Reidy and others coming back out of the tunnel at the end and sitting chanting with the supporters in the Witton Rd(?) Stand. We'll never see the likes of that again. Impossible to convey the full emotions of nights like that in those days. Magical.

I remember some Everton fans on the pitch at the end running towards the Holte End with a blue banner saying "Were back!", and thinking those lads really needed to sort their punctuation out!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back