Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Joe Royle scoring one of his two goals in the same fixture v Chelsea in the same game as above in the 5-2 rout
JR.webp

Bally scoring in a 5-2 rout v Chelsea in our title run in at home in irony of a 58,000 + crowd - proud to be there!View attachment 10419
That was a special performance. I' m sure it was the Easter weekend. I think Howard scored after a few mins then Bally scored as well within the first 10 mins. We were 5-0 up until Chelsea scored a couple of late goals if I remember right.
Had season ticket in Bullens rd paddock standing on a beer crate so I could see over the wall. Amazing to think that you could take stools and beer crates to stand on in those days.
Awesome game that day from an awesome team.
Happy days

That was a special performance. I' m sure it was the Easter weekend. I think Howard scored after a few mins then Bally scored as well within the first 10 mins. We were 5-0 up until Chelsea scored a couple of late goals if I remember right.
Had season ticket in Bullens rd paddock standing on a beer crate so I could see over the wall. Amazing to think that you could take stools and beer crates to stand on in those days.
Awesome game that day from an awesome team.
Happy days
I was in the park as a young lad with all my family spot on HK scored from the kick off - Joe got two - Ball's header pictured and Whittle kept his goal a game going what a fantastic footballing team they were the best footballing side I have seen in blue shirts - you right about standing on a crate those walls were so high - kids used to take everything in folding chairs stools, and milk or beer crates what a crowd too you had to get ther 60 to 90 mins to avoid the cues around the round. Happy days so glad to witness that team I was lucky - I seen most away games too in those two seasons when the home supporters at an away game clapped the football you new they were a special blues team!

I was in the Gladys St for this and remember thinking that my ribs were going to be crushed as I was pinned against one of the barriers. The atmosphere at that game was tremendous and is what I remember far more than any details of the actual match. I was SOOOOOO proud to be a blue that day. (Still am like!)

I was in the park as a young lad with all my family spot on HK scored from the kick off - Joe got two - Ball's header pictured and Whittle kept his goal a game going what a fantastic footballing team they were the best footballing side I have seen in blue shirts - you right about standing on a crate those walls were so high - kids used to take everything in folding chairs stools, and milk or beer crates what a crowd too you had to get ther 60 to 90 mins to avoid the cues around the round. Happy days so glad to witness that team I was lucky - I seen most away games too in those two seasons when the home supporters at an away game clapped the football you new they were a special blues team!

Off topic a bit this but I was watching a MOTD programme from the 1973 Cup Final and the ground was completely full about 2 hours before kick off! These days you're lucky if it's full by half time!

Off topic a bit this but I was watching a MOTD programme from the 1973 Cup Final and the ground was completely full about 2 hours before kick off! These days you're lucky if it's full by half time!

Yes it was the terraces were you paid on the day that made fans go early or you would be locked out if the turnstiles shut - sometimes thousands outside by arriving late!
also the gates at the end of each home game at Goodison used to open for the fans to leave early to get their bus or trains etc many kids would be waiting just to go in free too watch the last ten minutes! Usually in those days you could leave early as we had the game easily won unlike today hey!

Yes it was the terraces were you paid on the day that made fans go early or you would be locked out if the turnstiles shut - sometimes thousands outside by arriving late!
also the gates at the end of each home game at Goodison used to open for the fans to leave early to get their bus or trains etc many kids would be waiting just to go in free too watch the last ten minutes! Usually in those days you could leave early as we had the game easily won unlike today hey!

Had to be there early at GSE, to get a good spot behind the goal and most important get a barrier behind your back!

It's amazing that I can remember stuff from games 45 years ago yet I can't remember what I had for tea last night

Phenomenal penalty taker, remember Joe. he was a chain smoker also him and Young plus others like going to a club in Bold Street. Think it was something like "The Odd Spot".
It was The Odd Spot - my old man and his Dad used to go in frequently - bit of a gambling den so I was told.

Used to stand to the right of the goal with a barrier behind in line with the six yard box in the Gwladys Street. Season Ticket holder along with a few mates,that end was always packed.
Remember against Leeds and the gate was announced as 66,000 reckon there was more.
Away games and we literally took over ends that housed the home teams fans....stretford end,north bank highbury ,the shed end chelsea to name a few ....

found this on the web -
1962-63l.jpg

Ray Parnell is Peter Johnson's handyman - usually seen in The Shrew in Oxton quite a lot. Went on to have a career with Tranmere. Alex Parker was a family friend - seem to recall being told he made a coffin for grandparent's dog (he was a carpenter) and that my Dad called in on him at his pub somewhere on the Scottish border some time later. Derek Temple was best mates with my mate's Dad and he got into hot water sometime in the late 50s for playing football on his hols in The Isle of Man. Scored a ton of goals under an assumed name in a tournament and some Stoke scout asked if he was interested in playing for their first team (his mate was offered reserve terms). Derek said "no, it was a fluke he scored so many" and got away with it.

Used to stand to the right of the goal with a barrier behind in line with the six yard box in the Gwladys Street. Season Ticket holder along with a few mates,that end was always packed.
Remember against Leeds and the gate was announced as 66,000 reckon there was more.
Away games and we literally took over ends that housed the home teams fans....stretford end,north bank highbury ,the shed end chelsea to name a few ....

Reckon the turnstiles were only closed when no one else waiting to get in.

Too true Joey, remember watching one match,or part of it, up a tree in Stanley Park, versus Wolves on a Boxing Day,
Davie Hickson scored two that day playing against the great BillyWright who finished up in hospital with concussion
after a tussle with Davie, this was one of the very, very few home games I've missed since I started watching Everton,
missed from inside the ground that is!!!!.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back