Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

My older brothers ticket stub he went to see pele and the magic Brazil -
1966 world cup stub.webp

HUNGARY: GELEI, KAPOZTA , MATRAI, SZEPESI, MESZOLY, SIPOS, BENE, MATHESZ, ALBERT, FARKAS, RAKOSI.

BRAZIL GILMAR, DJALMA SANTOS, BELLINI, ALTAIR, PAULO HENRIQUE, GERSON, LIMA, GARRINCHA, ALCINDO, TOSTAO, JAIRZINHO.

When the two teams lined up, the shout from the crowd was, where`s Pele? It seems he took one to many knock`s in the Bulgarian game.
But the disappointment was soon over come, because this game resulted in one of the best ever games played at Goodison Park. For pure football skill this was hard to beat. The Hungarians sensed that without Pele, Brazil were not the same team, and so it proved.
Bene score first for Hungary, and although Tostao equallised just before half-time, you could see that Hungary were the better team.
2 further goals from Farkas and Meszoly made sure that the Magyar`s were full value for their 3-1 win, in what turned out to be one hell of a game. This also turned out to be Brazil`s first defeat in the world cup since 1954

View attachment 13851

HUNGARY: GELEI, KAPOZTA , MATRAI, SZEPESI, MESZOLY, SIPOS, BENE, MATHESZ, ALBERT, FARKAS, RAKOSI.

BRAZIL GILMAR, DJALMA SANTOS, BELLINI, ALTAIR, PAULO HENRIQUE, GERSON, LIMA, GARRINCHA, ALCINDO, TOSTAO, JAIRZINHO.

When the two teams lined up, the shout from the crowd was, where`s Pele? It seems he took one to many knock`s in the Bulgarian game.
But the disappointment was soon over come, because this game resulted in one of the best ever games played at Goodison Park. For pure football skill this was hard to beat. The Hungarians sensed that without Pele, Brazil were not the same team, and so it proved.
Bene score first for Hungary, and although Tostao equallised just before half-time, you could see that Hungary were the better team.
2 further goals from Farkas and Meszoly made sure that the Magyar`s were full value for their 3-1 win, in what turned out to be one hell of a game. This also turned out to be Brazil`s first defeat in the world cup since 1954
37 and a half pence! - plenty of money left over from ten Bob ; a few pints and a bag of chips. Cheapest in Brazil - 59 quid.:eek:

A rare Everton Picture sent to me by my older brother a close friend who knew a player gave him this picture it the great Harry Catterick meeting a few players with captain Bobby Collins, and chairman a young John Moores View attachment 13850 -

Left to right

Jimmy Gabriel, Bobby Collins, Labby (could be Mickey Lill going the ears), Frank Wignall, The Cat, Roy Vernon, John Moores

Left to right

Jimmy Gabriel, Bobby Collins, Labby (could be Mickey Lill going the ears), Frank Wignall, The Cat, Roy Vernon, John Moores
I think it's a young Labby?
I spoke to my older brother last night he said an insider friend of Tony Kay gave him that picture it's still in a plastic sleeve from when he was given it H- I had asked him about seeing Brazil in the World Cup, and that came with other stuff!

Last edited:

I think it's a young Labby?

Its the ears, Lill's took off in a wind, he was a full wing nut. I was lucky enough to play golf with Labby, even in his sixties his ears hadn't got that big. That picture must have been not long after Cattericks appointment say 1961, the taxi had just departed and we were about to give the little guy to Leeds, I bet Catterick had that planned when he posed for the shot

Its the ears, Lill's took off in a wind, he was a full wing nut. I was lucky enough to play golf with Labby, even in his sixties his ears hadn't got that big. That picture must have been not long after Cattericks appointment say 1961, the taxi had just departed and we were about to give the little guy to Leeds, I bet Catterick had that planned when he posed for the shot
Maybe I will ask my brother tonight, it's a rare picture, he watched Micky Lill, could be hard to distinqish, Roy Vernon looks so thin!​

View attachment 13851

That Florian Albert was some player,the fans really liked him,they were chanting Albert,Albert,through the game.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back