Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

There were some outstanding performances by British teams in European competitions in the 1960s, but for my money, Celtic's win against Inter in the 1967 European Cup final was the the very best. In fact, I rate that Celtic team the best British club side of the decade.

How British viewers saw the game, courtesy of the BBC commentary and Portuguese TV coverage:

Pathe highlights:

Colour highlights:

..I can distinctly remember watching the Celtic game on telly in 1967. Amazing to think that the whole of that great team were born in and around Glasgow.

There were some outstanding performances by British teams in European competitions in the 1960s, but for my money, Celtic's win against Inter in the 1967 European Cup final was the the very best. In fact, I rate that Celtic team the best British club side of the decade.

How British viewers saw the game, courtesy of the BBC commentary and Portuguese TV coverage:

Pathe highlights:

Colour highlights:

Major,Celtics win was great smashed the Italians great viewing as a kid no fear for that team.Even enjoyed the Manu win the next year against Benfica (hides)!Always felt during that mid to late sixties period thats where we belong,we had the players but it wasn't to be.I know we're talking European football but for me British achievement of the 60's was that stunning World cup win.Ramsey revolutionised tactics,said he would win it from the off and did.Very unlucky not to go all the way in 70.He also won the league with Ipswich!A genius with his own methods and to hell with the media

Major,Celtics win was great smashed the Italians great viewing as a kid no fear for that team.Even enjoyed the Manu win the next year against Benfica (hides)!Always felt during that mid to late sixties period thats where we belong,we had the players but it wasn't to be.I know we're talking European football but for me British achievement of the 60's was that stunning World cup win.Ramsey revolutionised tactics,said he would win it from the off and did.Very unlucky not to go all the way in 70.He also won the league with Ipswich!A genius with his own methods and to hell with the media

Whisper it, Joey, but I, like you, was cheering United on, at a cousin's house in Cronton, in '68, even though I had a soft-spot for Eusebio, a superb player. I have never suffered from United-phobia because of a family connection with a great bunch of Salford Reds, with whom Gowan Snr and mates used to stay from the late 1940s whenever Everton where at Old Trafford, and vice-versa. (It was a great arrangement which came to a much-lamented end following the night game at Goodison in 1974 - you may remember the Mick Lyons winner - when our United-supported cousins were attacked on the way back to their car.)

Ramsay's World Cup win was a heck of an achievement, no question, but he was blessed with a sizable core of world-class players - not something we'd had since the late 1940s, I suspect - and home advantage. But neither of those considerations detracts significantly, so you have a good point.

Mention of 1970 set me thinking about the comparative merits of the two squads. Was the 1970 England better? Very arguably, but then didn't Ramsay make a spectacular mistake, for very understandable reasons, against West Germany by withdrawing Bobby Charlton too early?

Whisper it, Joey, but I, like you, was cheering United on, at a cousin's house in Cronton, in '68, even though I had a soft-spot for Eusebio, a superb player. I have never suffered from United-phobia because of a family connection with a great bunch of Salford Reds, with whom Gowan Snr and mates used to stay from the late 1940s whenever Everton where at Old Trafford, and vice-versa. (It was a great arrangement which came to a much-lamented end following the night game at Goodison in 1974 - you may remember the Mick Lyons winner - when our United-supported cousins were attacked on the way back to their car.)

Ramsay's World Cup win was a heck of an achievement, no question, but he was blessed with a sizable core of world-class players - not something we'd had since the late 1940s, I suspect - and home advantage. But neither of those considerations detracts significantly, so you have a good point.

Mention of 1970 set me thinking about the comparative merits of the two squads. Was the 1970 England better? Very arguably, but then didn't Ramsay make a spectacular mistake, for very understandable reasons, against West Germany by withdrawing Bobby Charlton too early?

..Beckenbaur still can't believe it. I think Bobby Charlton was a magnificent player but he was getting on a bit, it was ridiculously hot and the game was all but won. Brazil we're very special, though, so another World Cup was unlikely. In '66 Geoff Hurst came to the fore, in '70 we struggled with the likes of Jeff Astle.

..Beckenbaur still can't believe it. I think Bobby Charlton was a magnificent player but he was getting on a bit, it was ridiculously hot and the game was all but won. Brazil we're very special, though, so another World Cup was unlikely. In '66 Geoff Hurst came to the fore, in '70 we struggled with the likes of Jeff Astle.
Peter Bonetti the cat had a mare that day too!

Agreed. Watching Terry Cooper, an excellent attacking full-back, lump crosses at Astle in the second half against Brazil was a depressing spectacle. We needed a centre-forward to hold the ball up and bring others into the play - Osgood would have been a far better bet, I thought, and still do.

Agreed. Watching Terry Cooper, an excellent attacking full-back, lump crosses at Astle in the second half against Brazil was a depressing spectacle. We needed a centre-forward to hold the ball up and bring others into the play - Osgood would have been a far better bet, I thought, and still do.

...absolutely. In those tournaments it's often a bit of luck finding the right player at the right time. Hurst instead of Greaves for example was fortune and a bit of a master stroke from Ramsey. I suppose similar to Treblecock over Pickering in '66, not to forget Alan Whittle's 11 goals on the title run-in in 1970.

DGFqaD2XcAA10Ks

...absolutely. In those tournaments it's often a bit of luck finding the right player at the right time. Hurst instead of Greaves for example was fortune and a bit of a master stroke from Ramsey. I suppose similar to Treblecock over Pickering in '66, not to forget Alan Whittle's 11 goals on the title run-in in 1970.

Whittle was something else during that season, a man-inspired. What on earth went wrong with his career? I thought we had a certain blinder!

Anyway, any excuse for reshowing this. What a superb run and finish:

With respect to Hurst/Greaves and Trebilcock/Pickering, was it serendipity or managerial genius? Still can't decide. But the Catt got more right than wrong in that decade, so I'll plump to the latter!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back