Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

I imagine that the greater the pressure, the greater Alf's resistance would have been. Not a man to bow to the will of the common man ... as he proved when he persisted with a clearly "done" Bobby Moore in later years.

Wasn't Whittle's case much the same? Got into the '70 team because of injury to Husband? Proved his worth then but not a favourite of Catterick. Remember him for an egregiously stupid piece of decision making in the '71 semi against the Reds. Was got shot of shortly after.
..absolutely. There were also lots of rumours around at the time about Whittle. Regardless, Ramsey and Catterick were cut from the same type of cloth, I think folk call it 'old school'. As you say, it can backfire and Alf probably stayed loyal to Moore too long. There was an argument that Tony Kay would've been part of the set up only for events elsewhere but I don't know if he was Alf's 'type'.
Kay Vs Moore, back in the day, the London papers helped pick the team...In general any northern lad had to be very good to ease out or win a place over a London based player.
Which is why Kendall couldn't get past Mullery and Storey.

The story goes that when Kay was stood down before the trail Ramsey rang Catterick for advice on a replacement...He recommended Nobby Stiles.

Greaves Vs Hurst & Hunt, all 3 scored goals but one was basically a goalhanger and 2 worked their socks off. Again the London press were at the forefront of the greaves for England campaign.
Whittle, Johnson and A.N Other ( a young full back?) were moved on smartish after 'alledged' low grade shinanigins with Holly Lodge (over 16) school girls

Far as I can remember, Greaves wasn't dropped in favour of Hurst, he was injured ... gash on the shin, I think. Hurst brought qualities which Alf R valued (work ethic etc) and J G's fate was sealed. Fortuitous but not managerial genius.
Interesting comment this matey. Just goes to show you dont always need the best players to make a great team. Greavsy was a world class striker no doubt, but Hurst came in and suited the team ethic that Sir Alf created. I was only 8yrs old when we won the World Cup, but have watched many replays since of the games in '66. I noticed how the work ethic was there. Football doesnt really change does it?

Dixie Dean getting stuck in -
DDair.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back