Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Dobbo in action -
DOB.webp

Major,Celtics win was great smashed the Italians great viewing as a kid no fear for that team.Even enjoyed the Manu win the next year against Benfica (hides)!Always felt during that mid to late sixties period thats where we belong,we had the players but it wasn't to be.I know we're talking European football but for me British achievement of the 60's was that stunning World cup win.Ramsey revolutionised tactics,said he would win it from the off and did.Very unlucky not to go all the way in 70.He also won the league with Ipswich!A genius with his own methods and to hell with the media

A veteran Blue recalls the 1960s, World Cup and all:

Mick Lyons ran through brick walls for us below-
View attachment 39447
Ken McNaught holding head too, playing for Villa. A certain £&£&@&££ called clive thomas was the ref, his first visit to Goodison since the semi final debacles the season before. Got dog's abuse and laughed it off. Emlyn Hughes levels of ego and self importance!!!
Still we won this game 4-1 which was also revenge for the league cup loss to villa the season before.
Loved Mick Lyons...he bled blue blood.

Whisper it, Joey, but I, like you, was cheering United on, at a cousin's house in Cronton, in '68, even though I had a soft-spot for Eusebio, a superb player. I have never suffered from United-phobia because of a family connection with a great bunch of Salford Reds, with whom Gowan Snr and mates used to stay from the late 1940s whenever Everton where at Old Trafford, and vice-versa. (It was a great arrangement which came to a much-lamented end following the night game at Goodison in 1974 - you may remember the Mick Lyons winner - when our United-supported cousins were attacked on the way back to their car.)

Ramsay's World Cup win was a heck of an achievement, no question, but he was blessed with a sizable core of world-class players - not something we'd had since the late 1940s, I suspect - and home advantage. But neither of those considerations detracts significantly, so you have a good point.

Mention of 1970 set me thinking about the comparative merits of the two squads. Was the 1970 England better? Very arguably, but then didn't Ramsay make a spectacular mistake, for very understandable reasons, against West Germany by withdrawing Bobby Charlton too early?

Indeed he did...allowed The Kaiser to push up and start bossing the game. It didn't help that the 2 chances we had to put it away fell to the 'wrong' players...Astle had a chance that, IMO, Ball would've buried and Ball one that Astle would've snapped up. As you say the 70 squad was collectively 'better' than the 66 squad but mistakes by Individuals on and off the field cost us.

There were still the Italians to get past to play Brazil in the final...would we have won it - who knows? (I don't think we would) At least we were spared the rout inflicted on the Italians, by what was the best ever 11 man performance ever seen before or since

Whittle was something else during that season, a man-inspired. What on earth went wrong with his career? I thought we had a certain blinder!

Anyway, any excuse for reshowing this. What a superb run and finish:

With respect to Hurst/Greaves and Trebilcock/Pickering, was it serendipity or managerial genius? Still can't decide. But the Catt got more right than wrong in that decade, so I'll plump to the latter!

...I think the decision to go for Trebilcock over Pickering and Hurst over Greaves demonstrated the single-mindedness of those managers. Greaves and Pickering were fans favourites and the players with deserved reputations but Ramsey and Catterick had a feel for the game that told them to go with the lesser known alternatives. Imagine had those decisions backfired. It's part of the reason now that I say you have to let Koeman do his job and build his own team.

Thanks for posting the Whittle clip. I'm of a view that all players have a golden period or two in their career. One of Whittle's coincided with the title run. It's what happens between the golden periods that separates the very best.

...I think the decision to go for Trebilcock over Pickering and Hurst over Greaves demonstrated the single-mindedness of those managers. Greaves and Pickering were fans favourites and the players with deserved reputations but Ramsey and Catterick had a feel for the game that told them to go with the lesser known alternatives. Imagine had those decisions backfired. It's part of the reason now that I say you have to let Koeman do his job and build his own team.

Thanks for posting the Whittle clip. I'm of a view that all players have a golden period or two in their career. One of Whittle's coincided with the title run. It's what happens between the golden periods that separates the very best.

Far as I can remember, Greaves wasn't dropped in favour of Hurst, he was injured ... gash on the shin, I think. Hurst brought qualities which Alf R valued (work ethic etc) and J G's fate was sealed. Fortuitous but not managerial genius.

Far as I can remember, Greaves wasn't dropped in favour of Hurst, he was injured ... gash on the shin, I think. Hurst brought qualities which Alf R valued (work ethic etc) and J G's fate was sealed. Fortuitous but not managerial genius.

..I think you're right, but there was pressure to bring Greaves back later in the tournament but Ramsey resisted.

..I think you're right, but there was pressure to bring Greaves back later in the tournament but Ramsey resisted.

I imagine that the greater the pressure, the greater Alf's resistance would have been. Not a man to bow to the will of the common man ... as he proved when he persisted with a clearly "done" Bobby Moore in later years.

Wasn't Whittle's case much the same? Got into the '70 team because of injury to Husband? Proved his worth then but not a favourite of Catterick. Remember him for an egregiously stupid piece of decision making in the '71 semi against the Reds. Was got shot of shortly after.

I imagine that the greater the pressure, the greater Alf's resistance would have been. Not a man to bow to the will of the common man ... as he proved when he persisted with a clearly "done" Bobby Moore in later years.

Wasn't Whittle's case much the same? Got into the '70 team because of injury to Husband? Proved his worth then but not a favourite of Catterick. Remember him for an egregiously stupid piece of decision making in the '71 semi against the Reds. Was got shot of shortly after.

..absolutely. There were also lots of rumours around at the time about Whittle. Regardless, Ramsey and Catterick were cut from the same type of cloth, I think folk call it 'old school'. As you say, it can backfire and Alf probably stayed loyal to Moore too long. There was an argument that Tony Kay would've been part of the set up only for events elsewhere but I don't know if he was Alf's 'type'.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back