Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Mate I upload pictures on here - they go on the web automatically and get used what's your problem - mine our from old books, but get nicked as you say?
many a rare picture I put on here for the enjoyment of the Forum gets reused or placed elsewhere on the net?
I know where you're coming from Joey mate, I do. And great picture threads like this one thrive and survive on reposting things from the internet, Twitter accounts, or which we scan in ourselves from old books and mags as you say. So I'd never diss the forum in general for that. But people do have a right to have their copyright and other IPRs respected if they wish.

I spent countless hours and pocket money collecting all those cuttings when I was a kid, then countless weeks a year or so ago scanning, piecing articles together Tetris-style, shade balancing, rotating and turning them all into a website. Soon after, I could see via the stats a number of people systematically downloading each of the hundreds of images in sequence, then soon after that they were appearing on other people's pages with no attribution or credit. In some cases those people were lapping up the praise for posting such rare material. That grates a bit, yes.

There's a clear copyright message on my own site but sometimes people republish the scans. It's not a huge deal - who of us always reads the small print? Certainly not me - so I like to think a polite request to remove an image is all that's needed. It was one time a while back here on this thread, which I was very grateful for. My post a few days ago to Summerisle was just the same friendly request. Would be grateful Summerisle if you could oblige. Cheers.

76e4d5346a6d148b3d26fbf055bf235e.jpg

I know where you're coming from Joey mate, I do. And great picture threads like this one thrive and survive on reposting things from the internet, Twitter accounts, or which we scan in ourselves from old books and mags as you say. So I'd never diss the forum in general for that. But people do have a right to have their copyright and other IPRs respected if they wish.

I spent countless hours and pocket money collecting all those cuttings when I was a kid, then countless weeks a year or so ago scanning, piecing articles together Tetris-style, shade balancing, rotating and turning them all into a website. Soon after, I could see via the stats a number of people systematically downloading each of the hundreds of images in sequence, then soon after that they were appearing on other people's pages with no attribution or credit. In some cases those people were lapping up the praise for posting such rare material. That grates a bit, yes.

There's a clear copyright message on my own site but sometimes people republish the scans. It's not a huge deal - who of us always reads the small print? Certainly not me - so I like to think a polite request to remove an image is all that's needed. It was one time a while back here on this thread, which I was very grateful for. My post a few days ago to Summerisle was just the same friendly request. Would be grateful Summerisle if you could oblige. Cheers.

Why don't you place a watermark across your photos problem solved if you have the original that's were the money is - my son does it for me on two rare ones I posted so get a IT man to advise you, how to do it - problem solved a copy right message will not stop people copying and pasting - if you put your logo across the middle of the picture it's also advertising your pictures too;)
Also may fetch extra custom etc!

No problem, back to intensive research.:)

tumblr_o15ape9Bxt1umm772o1_400.gif

By common consent, the finest centre-half ever to wear the royal blue
Have you read his book yet the prince of centre halfs?
Great sad read the one that got away - my late father seen him play told me the classiest player who could shoot with both feet a total footballer from the back dribbling the ball out into attack never wasted the ball any time linked up with the attack etc ;)
We got stung twice when he applied for the managers post, and we dismissed him then too for the disastrous Bookworm Buchan !

Last edited:
Have you read his book yet the prince of centre halfs?
Great sad read the one that got away - my late father seen him play told me the classiest player who could shoot with both feet a total footballer from the back dribbling the ball out into attack never wasted the ball any time linked up with the attack etc ;)
We got stung twice when he applied for the managers post, and we dismissed him then too for the disastrous Bookworm Buchan !

I've dipped into it twice so far, Joey, and enjoyed it immensely. The problem is getting it off my Dad, who's even gone so far - unique in my experience - of sticking torn scraps of the Liverpool Echo into it as book marks.

Last Sunday he insisted upon reading me a quote from - forgive me if I've got this wrong - a journalist called Peter Hodgson (?) describing Everton's performance against Aston Villa in early September 1938*. It's a wonderfully evocative description of a warm, late, autumn evening, - described as "smoky," if I recall correctly - when all those assembled realised just how good that Everton side was.

For my Dad, this was vindication of everything he'd told me about that side when I was a kid, for among the crowd that night, standing on the Goodison Road terracing near the half-way line, was my Grandad, Dad, and his two brothers. With virtually everyone he knew and loved now long gone, there is only Rob Sawyer's biography of TG to confirm the accuracy his memory. No wonder he won't let it go.

I've mentioned before how many of my Dad's generation revered not Lawton, prolific and courageous as he was, but, of all unexpected things, our centre-half. I suspect it was you who caught best the essence of his appeal, from his (silent) film star looks to his daredevil retention of the ball in our box under intense pressure. This was a rare and precious ability scandalously betrayed by a timid, conservative Everton establishment, who appear to have feared and resented an authentic pioneer as a player, and then again as a manager.

We should really start a thread on the Everton establishment's enduring preference for the dull and earnest conformist over the trail-blazing charismatic.

* The magnificent Everton side that night: http://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-everton-05-september-1938-69187/

My older brother when the Great Brian Labone burst into our team as a youngster, and marked the great Tom finney out of the game as he played no 9 on occasion - told my late father what a footballer of which he was - my late father stated no way will he ever be as good as the great TG Jones - and described to him and I as I grew up what a revolutionary centre back - he really was, and how badly our football club treated him - the book details that in full he could have become a great manager for us - the book states how his tall slim build his suntanned skin - his mop of long black curly hair made him stand out - then his football totally light years ahead of anything a centre back in that era could do -Franz Anton Beckenbauer is what the book claims was the nearest to TG Jones - that says it all!
When John Hurst partnered Labby - my late father loved him as a player I asked why as he was great - just glimpses of TG Jones - he smiled!
Brain Labone was classy, but that era of centre halves got rid - evidently TG Jones as a young player ignored the shouts from the bench hoof it, and either dribbled it out or sent a wondrous pass out to the winger!
as the great Dixie Dean stated - the best all round footballer he had ever seen, and better than the Master John Charles as he had a crouched style of play, and not the upright elegance of TG Jones -
TG was asked to play no 9 on occasion , and did not disappoint scoring a goal or two!
A great read for any blue supporter;)
When I read it I could only think of my late fathers words on TG , and wished how he could have read such a tribute to his favorite player!
TGJA.webp

Last edited:
Just as a matter of interest and copyright law - and I am posing this as a serious question - but to who does the copyright belong? You as the 'collector' of such obscure and ancient photographs/images or the original photographer/publisher? If the latter, how can you claim 'ownership' or does this die with the originating source either in the literal sense or over time thereby entitling whoever to adopt the 'copyright'?

As I said, I am not wishing to be controversial or anything just inquisitive as I like to know and understand these things.

Just as a matter of interest and copyright law - and I am posing this as a serious question - but to who does the copyright belong? You as the 'collector' of such obscure and ancient photographs/images or the original photographer/publisher? If the latter, how can you claim 'ownership' or does this die with the originating source either in the literal sense or over time thereby entitling whoever to adopt the 'copyright'?

As I said, I am not wishing to be controversial or anything just inquisitive as I like to know and understand these things.
We are 814 pages into old photos of the blues, and this question is raised as I stated before I have put pictures on here, and they go on the internet everywhere - not just on the GOT - in fact other GOT posters see them miss them on here , and repost them on here lol
does it bother me after taking an age to upload them -NO - its for the joy of the GOT community -
as I stated the copyright law usually big firms like almany paste a logo over the picture so you can view them,but they have the copyrights as for the law I would imagine it's a minefield - I seen a guy on a car boot selling gloss paper photos for a £1 of all teams - I got talking to him he was prepared to pay me £30 for the rare Photos I had turned him down, as he would have had to take the originals away - thats where the money is on the originals not on a copy - newspapers place sport pictures everyday if you a diligent to save them, and collect them its your collection imo!
My son put two logos on rare photos on here of mine so thats your answer.
legally after 844 pages it has to be ok?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back