Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Olivier Giroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of Rooney, Giroud and Sandro fighting for two starting places.
Giroud adds a slightly different dynamic to Rooney or Sandro.
I think its strange that Arsenal will let him leave for "only" £20m, considering he's ahead of Lacazette in the pecking order for the French national team.

Barkley and Lukaku
or
Rooney and Giroud

Not convinced that's a step forward personally - hoping Sandro can tear it up/we bring in another striker.

Barkley and Lukaku
or
Rooney and Giroud

Not convinced that's a step forward personally - hoping Sandro can tear it up/we bring in another striker.

I'd agree with that first bit. Rooney and Giroud is not as good as Barkley and Lukaku.

But could Rooney, Giroud, Sandro and maybe a couple of others be better than Barkley, Kone, Lukaku and Valencia.

I'd say yes. Quite possibly.

I'd agree with that first bit. Rooney and Giroud is not as good as Barkley and Lukaku.

But could Rooney, Giroud, Sandro and maybe a couple of others be better than Barkley, Kone, Lukaku and Valencia.

I find the Valencia/Kone comments I keep seeing ridiculous.

Is that the benchmark then?

I'm not sure Rooney is a Barkley replacement.

If Barkley leaves, we'll go get (or will already have) a player like Sigurdsson, IMO.

I think so too.

But then do we sign Rooney to sit on the bench?

Can't see either him, or Giroud not starting if they come.

I find the Valencia/Kone comments I keep seeing ridiculous.

Is that the benchmark then?

Not the benchmark but surely need to look further into the squad the the changes to 2 players? We were lucky Rom never got seriously crocked at any point. If he'd been out for any length of time the lack of squad depth would have quickly shown up front...

Rooney on a one year deal is fine. Giroud on a 3 year deal and we'll all probably call him the next kone in the last year of his contract.

We should be buying players with the intention of locking down the best 5 years of their career.

What was Lukaku's record against the top six last season? Not particularly impressive. Barkley, unfortunately seems to have struggled to kick on from that "potential" he was showing.

Rooney can play up top, he can drop deep, he can go left or right. I think signing Rooney offers options. Something lacking last season.
Id have thought the Klaasen is the replacement for Barkley?

Not the benchmark but surely need to look further into the squad the the changes to 2 players? We were lucky Rom never got seriously crocked at any point. If he'd been out for any length of time the lack of squad depth would have quickly shown up front...

Rooney and Giroud aren't coming here to be squad players though Andy, they're not replacements for Kone and Valencia.

If you accept Lukaku/Barkley is better than Rooney/Giroud, you can't leverage Kone and Valencia as the counter.

Rooney on a one year deal is fine. Giroud on a 3 year deal and we'll all probably call him the next kone in the last year of his contract.

We should be buying players with the intention of locking down the best 5 years of their career.

I used to think like that too. But there's nothing wrong with buying for now either. It doesn't always have to be within a certain age.

If we do well with older players this season it's fine and we can then look to buy again when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back