• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Other Club Transfers 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were swindled out of at least a point this season when Liverpool were at the top of their 5 year peak and we were at the lowest point we've been for 3 decades.

The truth of the matter is that all but a relegation class team in the PL can set up to play and get a draw or even a smash and grab win against any other.

We were chronic this season but every single top team we either did get points off...or should have got points off if the ref and VAR booth weren't completely bent:

City at home we deserved a point
Liverpool away we deserved a point or win
Chelsea we took 4 points off
Spurs we drew with at home
Arsenal we beat at home
United we took 4 points off
I know that but the original post references Arsenal,Spurs etc needing to improve to put more pressure on the rs which would mean them consistently beating the mid and lower teams in the Prem, which would be us.

Yeah every game we lost we deserved to. Every game we won we were lucky. Can’t be wrong when that’s your world view.
You say this sarcastically but it is not sarcastically pretty close to how last season went after October. We were really bad. We had few solid performances.

You say this sarcastically but it is not sarcastically pretty close to how last season went after October. We were really bad. We had few solid performances.

We didn’t stay up because we were luckier than the teams below us, that’s ridiculous.

Lampard had horrendous conditions to deal with. Players were awful, injuries to the few decent players we did have, half a transfer window left. You don’t just switch form on when you haven’t got quality players. He did well to keep us up, he pivoted away from the style of football he started off with because he realised the players couldn’t do it. He then implemented a style that got the wins to see us to safety. That sounds like someone tactically astute to me.

Tactically inept?

Beat Eddie Howe with ten men, beat Tuchel, beat Rangnik, beat Vieira, would have done Klopp were it not for the referees, a ridiculous decision away from blunting Guardiola, demolished Bielsa.

Nearly every one of them apart from Bielsa had far far better players than Lampard did. Tactically inept? Give it a break.

We didn’t stay up because we were luckier than the teams below us, that’s ridiculous.

Lampard had horrendous conditions to deal with. Players were awful, injuries to the few decent players we did have, half a transfer window left. You don’t just switch form on when you haven’t got quality players. He did well to keep us up, he pivoted away from the style of football he started off with because he realised the players couldn’t do it. He then implemented a style that got the wins to see us to safety. That sounds like someone tactically astute to me.

Tactically inept?

Beat Eddie Howe with ten men, beat Tuchel, beat Rangnik, beat Vieira, would have done Klopp were it not for the referees, a ridiculous decision away from blunting Guardiola, demolished Bielsa.

Nearly every one of them apart from Bielsa had far far better players than Lampard did. Tactically inept? Give it a break.
We'll see how it goes mate. There are plenty of holes to pick in basically everything you said but it's less taxing to just wait for more evidence at this point, either way.

We'll see how it goes mate. There are plenty of holes to pick in basically everything you said but it's less taxing to just wait for more evidence at this point, either way.

I thought (and said) before that United game that changed our fortunes that Lampard hadn't learned any lessons: we went to West Ham and then Burnley and his decision making to keep the game open cost us 4 points in those two games. That was when I had major doubts we had the right man in the dugout and I was all for making a last throw of the dice if we didn't beat United. But we did, and IMO he got the approach to every other game (Arsenal was a dead rubber) pretty much spot on - including the away game to Watford, where it'd have been all too easy to try and get the win and leave us exposed at the back.

He demonstrated a pragmatism that bodes well.

He deserves a lot of time now to try and roll out his preferred way of playing. He's earned that and he should get it.

The league has been a two horse race for ages by a massive gap. Spurs Arsenal and United have been pathetic in recent seasons apart from a few odd moments. Liverpool falling off their level a bit and the others improving would be a welcome change from this never ending media deluge of glory glory Liverpool that has bend the last 5 years.
It seems like it, but that just isn't true. Before this season the rs have only finished in the top 2 twice in the last 8 years - the same as chelsea and man utd

Interesting to see how Fabio Viera adapts to English football. Class player but could go the way of Hugo Viana if it all goes wrong.
Its very rare these days that players like this bounce into the PL all guns blazing! I know there are exceptions (Bruno Fernandes etc), but there are far more 'it will take time' signings, than impact signings.
Your more likely to look at Spur's signings for automatic impact, just like Conte did with Bentacur & Kuliceviski (spelling) in january!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back