Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Oumar Niasse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far too early to make a judgement on Niasse, however it's fair to remark that there were some slightly disappointing signs yesterday.

Yes he was put in a difficult situation by the manager, yet you'd have liked (if not expected) to show some fight in what was a energetic game.

Instead he looked lethargic and well short of the required work-rate needed for the PL. Is that partly due to lack of fitness? I don't know.

He seemed unable or unwilling to tackle, which may be a fitness or culture thing coming from Russia, but not jumping for loose balls was shocking.

He'll certainly need to do a lot more when he's given a starting opportunity if he's to influence games as defences will not give him an easy ride.

Far too early to make a judgement on Niasse, however it's fair to remark that there were some slightly disappointing signs yesterday.

Yes he was put in a difficult situation by the manager, yet you'd have liked (if not expected) to show some fight in what was a energetic game.

Instead he looked lethargic and well short of the required work-rate needed for the PL. Is that partly due to lack of fitness? I don't know.

He seemed unable or unwilling to tackle, which may be a fitness or culture thing coming from Russia, but not jumping for loose balls was shocking.

He'll certainly need to do a lot more when he's given a starting opportunity if he's to influence games as defences will not give him an easy ride.

He'll be rusty from the Russian Winter break mate, which makes it a strange signing in that he was probably never going to be up to speed with his match fitness for another few weeks regardless.

He'll be rusty from the Russian Winter break mate, which makes it a strange signing in that he was probably never going to be up to speed with his match fitness for another few weeks regardless.
That's something I mentioned when we originally signed him. Obviously Martinez would have been looking in the long-term when purchasing him.

That's fair enough; yet in the short term it looks as if he will not be completely ready before the end of March, if not later. We need an impact now!

Still, I think there's a subtle difference between rustiness (which is to be expected) and not committing to simple aerial challenges for the ball.

Hopefully it is something he will learn from...

That's something I mentioned when we originally signed him. Obviously Martinez would have been looking in the long-term when purchasing him.

That's fair enough; yet in the short term it looks as if he will not be completely ready before the end of March, if not later. We need an impact now!

Still, I think there's a subtle difference between rustiness (which is to be expected) and not committing to simple aerial challenges for the ball.

Hopefully it is something he will learn from...

I agree mate, for all his faults Martinez generally hasn't signed many duds ( Alcaraz and Kone accepted ). Only time will tell, but booing the lad the moment he's in the pitch isn't going to help him at all .

Not gonna slate him about yesterday as he was thrown on in a situation he's never been in before by the manager.

Stupid sub and I think most people realised that at the time.

I agree mate, for all his faults Martinez generally hasn't signed many duds ( Alcaraz and Kone accepted ). Only time will tell, but booing the lad the moment he's in the pitch isn't going to help him at all .
There's a chronic problem with large parts our home support at the moment which should be a real concern. I question a lot of their expectations.

Yesterday there were some real open unjustifiable grumbles throughout the game about our performances and those of certain players.

From what I saw, up until around Lennon came off we played extremely well yet they were shouting criticisms. It absolutely baffled me!

Obviously the end result wasn't good and nor have many of our results this season, but I think people expect the lads not to make any mistakes.

While I haven't had the best first impression of Niasse I am more willing to give him time, although I think he'll already be the new Koné for some.

Jo I'll give you, but I will never understand how people reckon Traoré was such a dreadful signing (aside from he was massively unlucky and picked up an injury that meant he played a total of about an hour for us or something)?
Because he was an awful footballer, it says a lot when you can make that decision after such a short amount of minutes for the club. The goal he scored means nothing. Niasse looks no better than Shaun Goater so far. He's not had the ball to feet enough to prove us wrong yet thankfully.

I can't blame Niasse for yesterday or judge him on it.

I don't know why it made more sense to roberto to bring him on in that situation rather than bring him on for 30 mins 3 nil up against villa with 11 men.

Remember when that lad managed to sign for Southampton (i think) pretending he was George Weah's brother...then he played...

That's how it felt yesterday. Not judging him yet because it's one game. But he was shockingly bad! Almost laughably bad.

Can forgive lack of talent but not lack of work ethic. Lazy bugger had us playing with 9 men for the last 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back