Oumar Niasse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early start for DaveK on the ale here - Oumar Niasse a finisher. Maybe on Mars, but here on planet earth, in the English premier league, Niasse couldn't finish a fish supper - a view strongly held by Roberto Martinez and Ronald Koeman.

Unsworth is just being nice to him, because he (Unsworth) is a good bloke and doesn't have to get involved with picking the senior side.
Not sure you know mate. I can't make my mind up whether Unsy is playing him because he's under club orders to, or because he rates him.

What I can't really get my head around is why he would be under orders to play a guy who, otherwise, has been completely ostracised by the club. So could he actually rate him?

Not sure you know mate. I can't make my mind up whether Unsy is playing him because he's under club orders to, or because he rates him.

What I can't really get my head around is why he would be under orders to play a guy who, otherwise, has been completely ostracised by the club. So could he actually rate him?
I'd say it's this: Unsworth has been left with the task of trying to get the feller some game time, confidence and positive publicity in order that we're able to salvage some cash from him in the future...a job made ten times more difficult by the manager.

Not on Mars, no. In the Russian Premier League.

Now, of course, that isn't top 5 European league calibre by any stretch (we all got wise to that after Bilyaletdinov and McGeady), but it isn't the Liverpool & District Business House League either.

He didn't create the fee. Others did. Koeman doesn't want him? Fine. But dont tell the whole world how he's not wanted because he has to be sold one day...and it's not right he shoots a player down in flames in public or treats him like rubbish behind the scenes. He's fanned the flames of ill-will toward the player that's for sure. It actually reflects worst of all on Koeman for dealing with this in such a cack handed and arrogant way. If I were the CEO of this club I'd be giving Koeman his pay check of £6M this year minus £5m. That'll cover the cash he lost us because the sell on value will be about a million quid.
I don't like the way Koeman is treating Niasse either. He could give him a squad number (and a locker) and just decide not to play him if he wished. It's not as if we were struggling to keep within our 25 limit or overseas allocation. No need to ridicule him in public which is effectively what he's done.

I don't agree his treatment has fanned the flames though. Fans made their own mind up on Niasse last season, well before Koeman showed up. I think his treatment of him has actually had the opposite effect in that a lot more people feel sorry for him.

I'd say it's this: Unsworth has been left with the task of trying to get the feller some game time, confidence and positive publicity in order that we're able to salvage some cash from him in the future...a job made ten times more difficult by the manager.
You could well be right Dave.

A surprising bi product of this is that Niasse does appear to be showing the right sort of attitude and Unsy is getting a positive response from him, to the extent where many people are now asking whether he should be given another opportunity with the first team. A scenario you wouldn't have dreamt of 3/4 weeks ago.

One thing I will say as a side issue, Unsy continues to impress me with almost everything he does. I know it's a massive chasm between the premier and U23s, but he does appear to be maturing into quite an accomplished young manager.

None of us know what has gone on between Niasse and Koeman, so none of us can comment with any authority on this matter.
It does seem counter-productive to alienate Niasse from the first team if we are looking to sell him for anything like a reasonable fee. It is a very strange thing for a manager to do. The only thing that makes sense is that there is more to it.
If Niasse is refusing to move and intends to sit out his contract, as he is legally entitled to do, then there is little point in accommodating him.
This won't explain why he plays for the under 23 team unless some people at the club are holding out and see a chance that he could be loaned out or sold.
It is a strange one.

I don't like the way Koeman is treating Niasse either. He could give him a squad number (and a locker) and just decide not to play him if he wished. It's not as if we were struggling to keep within our 25 limit or overseas allocation. No need to ridicule him in public which is effectively what he's done.

I don't agree his treatment has fanned the flames though. Fans made their own mind up on Niasse last season, well before Koeman showed up. I think his treatment of him has actually had the opposite effect in that a lot more people feel sorry for him.
They'd made their minds up after a couple of appearances when the season had turned to flames and turmoil ensued.

As said above, Niasse fell into the void opened up by the end of one managerial reign and the beginning of another. The treatment of him is as ridiculous as it is lamentable.

You could well be right Dave.

A surprising bi product of this is that Niasse does appear to be showing the right sort of attitude and Unsy is getting a positive response from him, to the extent where many people are now asking whether he should be given another opportunity with the first team. A scenario you wouldn't have dreamt of 3/4 weeks ago.

One thing I will say as a side issue, Unsy continues to impress me with almost everything he does. I know it's a massive chasm between the premier and U23s, but he does appear to be maturing into quite an accomplished young manager.
If Moshiri hadn't have turned up I strongly suspect that Unsworth would have been given the chance to stake a claim for the manager's job.

I beg your pardon and would suggest you read this again.

Whilst I admire your undoubted optimism mate, and you make a fair point about him joining the club at a time when the dressing room was probably fraying at the very least, I fear it may be ill-judged.

I made a point of watching him closely in pre-game warm-ups last season and I felt sorry for him.
His touch was awful and you only had to look at the other players to see they were trying not to get involved with a passing routine with him. Pienaar did one pre-game and not once did Niasse control a pass first touch and his passing to SP was all adrift too.

Having spent the silly money we did on him, we have to hope that what we saw of him last season was totally false and that he may/will surprise us all... but one has ones doubts I'm afraid.

Unlike others who post about players flatly stating 'They're crap' etc etc I was purposely guarded in what I said.

Until such time as he may be given a full 90 minutes, I'll reserve my full judgement and even then may choose not to air my opinion.

As to what we saw last season, in very small and fleeting appearances, I don't think what I commented above was out of order.

I think this season he's done all that's been asked of him and people should fully get behind him as with other players.

Your comments are a sugar coated way of saying "he's rubbish". He's done more than Barkley this season, for example.

I think this season he's done all that's been asked of him and people should fully get behind him as with other players.

No argument from me on that... it's up to Mr.Koeman to see if he gets the chance to prove all the doubters wrong... and given we spent so much on him, surely we want him to come good.

Your comments are a sugar coated way of saying "he's rubbish". He's done more than Barkley this season, for example.

Mate, please do not try and tell me what I was saying... and furthermore, you added that second line after I responded in post 3881.

I did and do feel sorry for him... he did not ask for or set the price tag, and from what we saw of him last season, he did not look remotely like a player valued at £13 million plus.
And as stated, having spent that kind of money, I truly hope that if he gets the chance that he takes it BIGTIME !

They'd made their minds up after a couple of appearances when the season had turned to flames and turmoil ensued.

As said above, Niasse fell into the void opened up by the end of one managerial reign and the beginning of another. The treatment of him is as ridiculous as it is lamentable.
I'm one of them mate. He was so poor in his first 3 sub appearances it was funny. Didn't get a look in for next run of games so even RM must have thought he was crap. Then started a couple but by then the whole team had imploded as you say. Think most had already made up their mind by then though. I know I had.

If Valencia doesn't show signs of improvement and Niasse continues to apply himself for the under 23s, I wouldn't be adverse to giving him another go. The whole situation is a joke though and needs sorting in January window as neither of them are up to the required standard.

Showed how much of a finisher he was when he passed the ball to a stranded Kasper Schmeichel's face when presented with an open goal last season.

The fella is the worst footballer I've ever seen with my own eyes, that's about it really.

You cant base an opinion on if a player can finish or not off one chance!

Well obviously you can but it seems a bit daft. You could look at some misses by Lukaku last season and decide he was garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back