Oumar Niasse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thought he did well against us for Wigan. Was reasonably pleased when we first bought him. Then he had that 3/4 game purple patch at start of last season and the 1 year ext kicked in, again I wasnt too unhappy as I thought the old kone was back.
He was basically Martinez's replacement for Anichebe, and has a similar record to Anichebe's. That's the level we should expect from him.

Always thought he did well against us for Wigan. Was reasonably pleased when we first bought him. Then he had that 3/4 game purple patch at start of last season and the 1 year ext kicked in, again I wasnt too unhappy as I thought the old kone was back.

The problem is we have a history of letting absolutely turd strikers play well against us.

I'm not sure if your serious? Of course Valencia is poor, nobody has ever denied it but Niasse is on another level of awful! Quite possibly the worst player to ever wear the Royal Blue jersey. Then you say Kone isn't as bad as everyone says he is? How many times have you seen Kone play? The lad is garbage just like Valencia but both of them are still head and shoulders above Niasse.

he really isn't. That injury he had took a lot out of his game. He's always been a decent striker in the prem, just not a goalscorer, but most had written him off before he started here, they didn't believe he was good enough and thus find it hard to even think about complimenting him, and then over analyse anything that mirrors a mistake. He's never had support here, let's be honest.

he really isn't. That injury he had took a lot out of his game. He's always been a decent striker in the prem, just not a goalscorer, but most had written him off before he started here, they didn't believe he was good enough and thus find it hard to even think about complimenting him, and then over analyse anything that mirrors a mistake. He's never had support here, let's be honest.

I agree to an extent

The knives were out for him in some quarters before he'd even kicked a ball

That being said, he's hardly impressed, that game against Sunderland aside, though has he?

If we'd got him on a free and had contributed what he had, I'd be more leniant, but we paid actual money for him and he's never truly justified it IMO

To be fair I think a lot of people were relatively happy when we signed Kone - as has been said he'd played well against us the year before and scored a few goals that season - but he was absolutely abysmal during pre-season and anyone who saw him couldn't have helped but have reservations at that point. He then started the season badly and had missed a couple of absolute sitters already before he got his injury.

He's not a bad player really, his link up play and ability to hold the ball up are pretty useful, but he's lost a bit of pace and I think his confidence has taken a knock so he rarely looks like a goal threat in all honesty. From what I've seen of Niasse though, Kone is in a completely different league.

Paul Scharner haha, remember we were genuinely linked with him for a bit. He went to West Brom instead and then promptly scored at Goodison for them as well.
That was him. A proper thorn in our side. On that note, imagine how less painful the derbies would have been if we had signed rush.

In fairness that's the level we've probably go from him. Just not good enough for where we want to be.
I'd probably agree, his goal per game ratio is fairly similar to Anichebe's. He's clearly not good enough for where we want to be, but I don't think there's anyone who thought he would be, if he was he wouldn't have been at Wigan in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back