Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Our worst ever striker?

Think off all the promise and excitement of having this absolute giant of a man come in, only for him to play 15 minutes, get injured and be out for the entire length of his loan - we paid his wages the entire time. Absolute disasterclass

I heard we were paying Slaven Bilic’s wages for years after he left.

Cool guy though.

In regards to strikers I’d refuse to put Straq and Niasse in due to their sheer effort and scoring some important goals.

Beattie what a load of crap he was one season 1 goal & that was penalty his other seasons were poor too - we paid 6 million for him - down the road at Crewe FC was a gem going for 1 million Dean Ashton - DM had lost the plot by then ....
Beattie has some nice moments, he was a talented player generally but he was so ill fitted to fill the Bent role as he couldn't be bothered to run.

Beattie what a load of crap he was one season 1 goal & that was penalty his other seasons were poor too - we paid 6 million for him - down the road at Crewe FC was a gem going for 1 million Dean Ashton - DM had lost the plot by then ....
At that time Ashton would have walked over broken glass to come to us...He'd would have been absolutely brilliant.

Very different side that won the cup from that day. Angell and Barlow had been kicked into touch by then. Also had Anders Limpar by then. Bit of Quality.
It was 2 months before the cup final. We had a small injury crisis so Barlow and Angell were up front as Ferguson Stuart and Rideout were injured (no surprise with Ferguson) and Amokachi had not worked his way into Royle's plans fully at that time (he came on as a sub).

Limpar played that day! He was a Walker signing.

Kind of mad that we had six strikers to pick from really.

Got beat by Blackburn at home the next game which was memorable for some of the worst time wasting I have ever seen. Shearer booted the ball into what felt like Stanley Park at one point.

It was 2 months before the cup final. We had a small injury crisis so Barlow and Angell were up front as Ferguson Stuart and Rideout were injured (no surprise with Ferguson) and Amokachi had not worked his way into Royle's plans fully at that time (he came on as a sub).

Limpar played that day! He was a Walker signing.

Kind of mad that we had six strikers to pick from really.

Got beat by Blackburn at home the next game which was memorable for some of the worst time wasting I have ever seen. Shearer booted the ball into what felt like Stanley Park at one point.

You might be right mate. I can just recall it was early/mid ish 90s and we were playing in that stripey salmon pink kit. And i drove down so i couldnt even have a beer watching a mainly depressing side at the time.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back