Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we've given managers time before, in fact every manager we've had bar Allardyce has had over a season to get it right.

None of them did.
A season is not long given the mess this club has been in for many years. It is of course feasible that the manager changing so often is actually hampering us and causing additional chaos. Give the manager a chance to put his stamp on the team and the results will follow.

Benitez hasnt done anything in 15 years.
He flopped at inter.
He flopped at madrid.
He flopped napoli.
I dont think potter is winning the champions league at brighton. So this is is going down a cul de sac.

In the last 15 years he finished 2nd with Liverpool. Won the SuperCoppa Italiana and Club World Cup with Inter. Won the Europa League with Chelsea. Won the Coppa Italia and SuperCoppa Italiana with Napoli. Won the Championship with Newcastle and solidified them as a mid-table Premier league side. Kept Dalian in the Chinese Super League for 2 seasons in a row.

And GOT has been in meltdoon.

Hence why Potter/Frank/Favre/Lampard or whoever else wouldn't last 18 months here as its a poisoned chalice of a job.
You think maybe that the current managers employment history might be a factor in some of that fallout ? Something that probably wouldn’t be an issue for others .

The bloke in our dugout previously managed our rivals has never had his name sang by the clubs fans and there is a real possibility that he could go throughout his tenure here without it happening . Tell me again how that’s perfectly normal , would happen with anyone else and is down to a small minority on this forum . Out of interest as his biggest fan did you start any songs when we won those home games ? You were absolutely delighted on here and giving it the big one , did you start a we’re on the march … ?

Look before you answer telling me I’m advocating his immediate dismissal or calling me a Geordie or pointing out how I’m stupider than your dog and want Eddie Howe the point i’m , long-windedly , trying to make is this bloke is getting this reaction at least partially because of the performances and because of who he is. To me it seems crazy to suggest his history isn’t a factor and make comparisons with other managers a bit difficult.

If we can get a result tomorrow , and I think we can , then he’ll ease a little bit of pressure and that’s not a bad thing unfortunately I suspect the best case scenario is he kicks the can down the road until the next time he loses a couple .

In the last 15 years he finished 2nd with Liverpool. Won the SuperCoppa Italiana and Club World Cup with Inter. Won the Europa League with Chelsea. Won the Coppa Italia and SuperCoppa Italiana with Napoli. Won the Championship with Newcastle and solidified them as a mid-table Premier league side. Kept Dalian in the Chinese Super League for 2 seasons in a row.
We’re not counting anything to do with the Chinese league now are we ?

Christ. I’d get a game.

You think maybe that the current managers employment history might be a factor in some of that fallout ? Something that probably wouldn’t be an issue for others .

The bloke in our dugout previously managed our rivals has never had his name sang by the clubs fans and there is a real possibility that he could go throughout his tenure here without it happening . Tell me again how that’s perfectly normal , would happen with anyone else and is down to a small minority on this forum . Out of interest as his biggest fan did you start any songs when we won those home games ? You were absolutely delighted on here and giving it the big one , did you start a we’re on the march … ?

Look before you answer telling me I’m advocating his immediate dismissal or calling me a Geordie or pointing out how I’m stupider than your dog and want Eddie Howe the point i’m , long-windedly , trying to make is this bloke is getting this reaction at least partially because of the performances and because of who he is. To me it seems crazy to suggest his history isn’t a factor and make comparisons with other managers a bit difficult.

If we can get a result tomorrow , and I think we can , then he’ll ease a little bit of pressure and that’s not a bad thing unfortunately I suspect the best case scenario is he kicks the can down the road until the next time he loses a couple .

I dont buy that its all down to Benitez being an ex RS manager.

Obviously he gets much less rope from the anti Benitez mob but we've seen Koeman & Silva hounded out in less than 18 months, Alladyce heckled and booed out the door after 6 months (when he did a decent job in fairness) and even Ancelotti would have faced backlash had fans been in the ground to watch those Fulham/Sheff Utd defeats at Goodison.

The job is simply too much of a poisoned chalice with our fans for the type of manager who needs time to build something.

Unless they get a freak season of no injuries and a top 6 finish to build on instantly they'll be hammered when the same suspects like Keane, Davies, Iwobi et all throw them under the bus.

Inter and madrid sacked him. He left napoli because they didnt qualify for the champions league. Forget the italian cups. They're not even taking that serious in italy.
You're throwing the chinese league out there as success?
You went back to liverpool. Thats where i was starting it from.
Lets be real. Benitez had his time at valencia and liverpool. 20/15 years ago.
But he suits Everton. He's our new steady eddie. I hope. Watford was scary.

…I think that’s fair, Dave. I also agree we‘ll give anybody a challenge with a fully fit team.

West Ham are decent, though. They have bought well, got a strong spine to the team. They may have a dip but I can see them having a good season.
If they beat or draw with Liverpool next week I'm their biggest fan.

Ah so Benitez instructed his defenders not to defend and his holding midfielders not to do their jobs.

Maybe start asking questions of the same garbage players we had out there on the pitch who've let us down time after time instead of painting a target on the convenient ex LFC manager who's been here 5 minutes and given no money to spend.
Incredible how things change, isn't it mate?

Last season you said it wasn't right to just blame the players, and that its the fault of the manager for not 'adequately training' them.

Cant keep blaming the players - would you go to work putting in maximum effort if every manager you worked under was throwing you under the bus / not adequately training you? I know I wouldn't.
Well we went from a formation and system that suited us best in which we won abar 9 games on the spin then changed it because we lost one game.

But yeah...DEM PLAYERS!!!

Ah, so when is it okay or not okay to blame the players? It wasn't their fault under Ancelotti, but it is their fault under Benitez?

Imagine paying someone £11.5 million a year to be told they cant coach without an entire new squad.

Benitez is paid about that, right?
Imagine paying someone £11.5m a year and not expecting better than being humiliated at home to relegation fodder, and not giving the (very handsomely paid) coach any of the blame because he doesn't have an entire new squad.

A season is not long given the mess this club has been in for many years. It is of course feasible that the manager changing so often is actually hampering us and causing additional chaos. Give the manager a chance to put his stamp on the team and the results will follow.
Every single one of those deserved running out of town - probably before they were actually sacked in Koeman and Silva’s case particularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back