Relegation 23/24 Thread

Both Burnley and Forest showed more attacking prowess in that game than I have seen from us since we played Brighton last season. The way they both had a go and got the ball forward at times was great to see. Burnley had a young French winger who wanted the ball and wanted to run, same with Elanga and Hudson Odoi for Forest. I can’t remember a time in recent history where any of our players looked anything other than scared to receive the ball. What the hell is going on.

It is still early to day relegation battle. Yes, we only have 1 point and we are in trouble. Except the Villa match, I think we still play quite well. However, result is result. We have to survive in PL to wait for another billionares to come in. If we lose to Luton, Dyche should be sacked after that.

Disagree a better coach gets more out of this group even with the issues the squad has

Based on?

We don't have a midfielder who can hold the ball and make a pass for one.

And even if you can shoe horn and Garner or Onana in that mould...compare them to sides around us and confidentially say they can do that job consistently.

The squad is a relegation battle/bottom half squad. It can look prettier but you're still fighting the same fight.

Agree. Doncaster Rovers were literally passing it around us the other week. Professional footballers can pass a ball about when they are coached to do it.

Ancelloti coached them - pragmatic and defensive
Benitez coached them - awful defensively, terrible in transition, still tried to pass the ball
Lampard - high press, play between the lines. Didn't work. Wanted the number 8 as a pivot.

No matter how bad those managers were, they're experienced at a top level and know more about the game than most.

When you have a mish-mash of players with no plan, different managers with different systems every 18months (on average), coaching them to do things they struggle to consistently do - then change manager - isn't "simple"

Distilled to its essence? ...We are awful: a mishmash of everything bad. Thankfully there are at least 3 other teams in the division equally horrible. So, another exciting season is in store; not many seconds of which, out of principle, I'll watch.

What would you guys prefer, finish fourth from bottom again only to have another groundhog season of scared football tactics. Or, drop to the Champ, and spend 2 or 3 seasons down there remoulding the side into a young, hungry and combative team that has a real go the next time it comes up ?

I know there is always the danger that you can get stuck down there but I don’t think that will happen to a club of Everton’s size, I fancy you would have a couple of painful years with the debt and then once that millstone is gone you would start building as a club again, bringing youngsters through and competing properly rather than playing like the shell of a club you currently are