Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When teams are fighting against relegation ANYTHING can happen.

Remember the years we were close to the trapdoor and look at how we got out of trouble...

We cant discount Burnley doing the unthinkable.

However, if we win 3 games / win 2 + draw 3 and take 9pts then it looks like were going to outpace burnley and also perhaps Leeds.

So if we can hit 9 or 10pts were safe unless those 2 sides pull out some incredible results.

Can we get 9 or 10pts? Of course we can...and we will.

UTFT ;)
Actually don’t think we will need 9 or 10 points to stay up but I do think we can get that many ;)

When teams are fighting against relegation ANYTHING can happen.

Remember the years we were close to the trapdoor and look at how we got out of trouble...

We cant discount Burnley doing the unthinkable.

However, if we win 3 games / win 2 + draw 3 and take 9pts then it looks like were going to outpace burnley and also perhaps Leeds.

So if we can hit 9 or 10pts were safe unless those 2 sides pull out some incredible results.

Can we get 9 or 10pts? Of course we can...and we will.

UTFT ;)
If we can’t get nine points from a likely already relegated Watford away and Brentford and Palace at home who will have nothing to play for then we don’t deserve to stay up. I also feel we can pick up a point or two from the other four games, I kind of fancy us against Chelsea at home tbh, we’ve had some wins off that fixture in years gone by. I think we can get 9-12 points and I don’t think Burnley can.

I guess my main point is that if we can’t get equal or more points than Burnley from our seven games than they do from their six then we don’t deserve to stay up and that’s that.

Also, if Leeds don’t beat Palace Monday night they’ll have to play City home, Arsenal away, Chelsea at home and I fancy them getting dragged back into this too.

Burnley at home this stage of the season are tough to beat. I expect Burnley to get something

There was some serious rubbish posted on here the other night about the Southampton game. They were the ideal opponent and people were adamant Burnley would lose. I think people are massively underestimating the trouble we are in.
Not sure they're/we're underestimating it. Just not giving up yet. A lot of football to be played yet. Time for despair IF it happens.

Not sure they're/we're underestimating it. Just not giving up yet. A lot of football to be played yet. Time for despair IF it happens.
I'm not giving up. I'm just not having these 32 or 33 points shouts. We are going to need to win 3 more games to get safe. We won't be able to rely on Burnley losing every game because they won't.

I thought the Southampton result might change people's perceptions but they still seem to think they will just lose 6 more times.

Have they? Name some of those games? Also, if we lack fight then why have we gained more points from losing positions than most teams in the league? And that's with us being in losing positions more than any team bar Watford. We've been behind more often than Burnley or Leeds, yet pulled it back far more than they have. It's not fight we're lacking, it's decent attacking play and lack of chances created that damaged us.
Right now I’m in an utterly black mood with them. I don’t see a team with the wherewithal to get themselves out of this position.

I get no enjoyment from them, only heartache. They are a massive disappointment.

Does anyone realistically think we can even get a point tomorrow?

They are such an embarrassment now. An absolute joke of a club. Relegation and oblivion is what they deserve.

As for me, I intend to insulate myself from the impending disaster by distancing myself. I’ve got far more enjoyable things to do with my life than waste it on this shower.

I'm not giving up. I'm just not having these 32 or 33 points shouts. We are going to need to win 3 more games to get safe. We won't be able to rely on Burnley losing every game because they won't.

I thought the Southampton result might change people's perceptions but they still seem to think they will just lose 6 more times.
We're all coping in our own way ?

Burnley at home this stage of the season are tough to beat. I expect Burnley to get something

There was some serious rubbish posted on here the other night about the Southampton game. They were the ideal opponent and people were adamant Burnley would lose. I think people are massively underestimating the trouble we are in.
Works both ways doesn't it. Some people have us down and out with the last month .
I expect us to be in a worse position tomorrow night . But still with plenty to play for

Lots of people are in denial. From the players - who seem to think it timely to reference past notions of England call-ups - to the fans who are still making excuses for a side that lost, from a winning position, to the one team that can now relegate us. That result told us all we need to know. We can still say up, of course. Burnley are down there for a reason too, but relegation is a distinct possibility now because there is no evidence that we are good enough to stay up. This also applies to Burnley, though, and it is why we might still squeak a survival. But for a club with our resources to be fighting it out with an admirable but much less well resourced club such as Burnley is what is truly depressing. And there's no point moaning that fans of other clubs want to see us down. We are the big spenders with big notions. We have been humiliated. If fans of other clubs even care, of course they'd prefer little Burnley to put one over one of the so-called big boys.

If we cannot earn another nine points, we can forget surviving. And I really don't think any of us can complain if our rabble cannot rouse themselves to the point that they can beat Watford, Palace, and Brentford. I mean: what exactly are we staying up for if this is beyond us?

The downsizing will mostly (if not entirely) be the playing squad though.

It doesn't take markedly less ground staff (for example) to upkeep Goodison in the Championship vs in the PL. And the cost savings on the playing side are in a different stratosphere vs ground staff, tea ladies etc.

Getting rid of 1 mid tier player would pay all those wages for a year.
I agree that player salaries are the big wins but plenty of non-playing staff suffer when clubs go into desperate cost cutting too. It's easy to lose a few people in bigger teams such as catering and laundry.

I dont think they will lose tomorrow. Wolves are not in form and aren't great. Our performance home to them was most frustrating of the season for me. A complete lack of urgency and aggression from us

I'm hoping wolves get something but don't see more than a point
Wolves are playing pretty decently but they have experienced some terrible refereeing decisions recently. The Jimenez one was a complete joke, the penalty at Newcastle was nonsense as Wood clearly dived & the penalty for Villa when Sa was bashed into all played into their results. They were cruising against Leeds and Villa and while not great at Newcastle, were unlucky for that to be given as a pen.

If they play to their strengths they'll beat Burnley but more recently they've struggled against teams who want to play batter your opponent ball. It's going to be interesting but with Burnley only playing a day or so ago, I think Wolves will have too much for them. Also, Southampton should have taken the lead on at least two occassions before Burnley scored. If Wolves take the lead, then Burnley will find it very difficult to get back into the game.

Their defeat against Leeds was a complete freak. Down to 10 men and throwing a two goal lead away.

They're right in the mix for a European spot and will see those pie munchers as one of the fixtures they have to target for 3 points.

They also lost to Newcastle away last match barely having a shot at goal. Read somewhere Neves is back in training so perhaps he might return.

Burnley's last three home games are Wolves, Villa and Newcastle so they'll certainly be looking at getting 6-7 points from that.

Can't really make a case it's significantly harder than Chelsea, Brentford, Palace left as home games anyway given Brentford are one of most inform teams around. If people are bigging up Wolves then Brentford need to be respected aswell.

Burnley results since Wolves came back up in 2018:

Wolves 1-0 Burnley
Burnley 2-0 Wolves
Wolves 1-1 Burnley
Burnley 1-1 Wolves
Burnley 2-1 Wolves
Wolves 0-4 Burnley
Wolves 0-0 Burnley

So haven't beaten Burnley since September 2018....

"We're outside the relegation places and have a game in hand....it's not fair....IT'S NOT FAIR!!"

wet-hot-american-summer-group-hug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back