Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to target Leeds now if Burnley beat Watford they are only a win and a few points from safety that's the worry. Our schedule has been awful because we have always been behind in games played so every time we have to step up pressure is on our games, especially now Burnley are winning. Then there's the horrific away record. I'm fearing the worst this morning.
Don't complain about the scheduling mate.
We are in this position because we are crap , end of.
2-1 up to Burnley and lose , there's the reason right there.
Concede 5 yes 5 at home to Watford.
Lose at Norwich.
Yep it's all down to the schedulers.
The players don't even think we are in trouble see Holgates comments.
FFS The sooner we as a club ,and us as supporters wake up to the reality of what we have become the sooner we can start fixing this mess.

Gordon would be sold to the highest bidder. Anyone that we could sell would be sold.

The financial implications of relegation will be devastating beyond our imagination. We are not a Leeds; we are worse than a Leeds. We are making truly gargantuan losses every year and we have a truly gargantuan wage bill.

We would be left with the dead wood. The players no one wants. All on big money.

Leeds has time before they finally sunk. So many top earners had time to jump ship and they could line assets up to be sold well ahead of time. They accepted what was happening and planned for it.

We have none of the above. We have 2 players you could call assets but can't sell them now because we need to keep them focused. The rest as you say is high earners that aren't assets. Giving them away helps us but to whom?

Plus the financial situation we are in doesn't make recruiting easy , we need a calibre of player who would be too good for the championship but not good enough to expect to be playing in the prem. Where do you start there? And to do it 10-12 times successfully? Plus the element of paying them more than championship average doesn't help.

I suspect we will be finished as an entity. Sheff Weds, Sunderland, Wigan, Charlton Atletic are the comparables.
Leeds , Villa Man City and Newcastle have all gone down and come back. There is no inevitability that Everton will be finished.
We haven't been great , relevant or competitive in relation to the top teams for decades .
We should be used to mediocrity and dross by now.
We are Everton we can and will come back.

In recent match, we can see some improvements from the team. If we can turn it as a good result in the following matches, there is still a hope. Glad to see Lampard finally find a good setup to the team. Remenber the season is not over yet.

Don't complain about the scheduling mate.
We are in this position because we are crap , end of.
2-1 up to Burnley and lose , there's the reason right there.
Concede 5 yes 5 at home to Watford.
Lose at Norwich.
Yep it's all down to the schedulers.
The players don't even think we are in trouble see Holgates comments.
FFS The sooner we as a club ,and us as supporters wake up to the reality of what we have become the sooner we can start fixing this mess.
If we had won against Burnley Watford and Norwich, we would be safe. Losing to the bottom 3 , taking away every other team and result, is why we are where we are now.

In fact we could stand to lose most of our remaining games as long as those three were wins.

We'd get at least a £100mill in player sales, a huge reduction in the wage bill, and a £40+mill parachute payment in the first year.

So that's about £140mill income at a guess for being relegated.

Spend the parachute payment, bring in some loans.
You get a £40m parachute payment INSTEAD OF the ~£100m tv money.

So the "income for being relegated" is about £40m, not £140m. And for that £40m you trade in all your best players

Yes I get strong vibes of that. The amount of over spend coupled with going down its a tragedy. The owner and board need to go!!!
I can't see Moshiri selling up if we go down as he would receive far less for a Championship club. He would hope we get promoted again immediately, complete the stadium and then review the situation. He is sitting on a lot of cash having divested himself of most of his USM shares so his pockets are deep enough to do this. With parachute payments and player sales we could probably deal with EFL financial fair play restrictions in the short term. If we didn't come straight back up though, we could then be in big trouble.

Been enough the past 5.

It was 29 last season.

In the last 5, the following total prevented relegation; 2020/21 - 29 points 2019/20 - 35 points 2018/19 - 35 points 2017/18 - 34 points 2016/17 - 35 points

I just didn't think realistically it was ever going to be enough because a) this is Everton (and that counts for a lot in our history) and b) I knew Burnley had that run-in and those home games.

Last season is such an anomaly. 10th (as we know) got 59 points but so did 9th - those points came from somewhere.

I honestly reckon a team - I hope it's not us, obviously - could go down with 38-39 points this season.

We would offload, say, DCL, Richy and Pickford if we went down but actually some of the much maligned fellows like Keane and Holgate would probably shine in the championship! Rondon could be the next Mitrovic!
I'm hoping it wont come to that of course.

We played QPR, Huddersfield and Hull this season and didn’t look better than any of them. We conceded 5(?) Rondon didn’t score.
The Championship will be a very difficult slog tbh.

Leeds , Villa Man City and Newcastle have all gone down and come back. There is no inevitability that Everton will be finished.
We haven't been great , relevant or competitive in relation to the top teams for decades .
We should be used to mediocrity and dross by now.
We are Everton we can and will come back.
Leeds took 16 years!!!!!

Newcastle went down but were financially set to do so - that's how Ashley ran them. He didn't spend money in the PL but that meant if they went down they had money to have the biggest budget in the Championship by far.

Man City last went down in 1996 mate ffs

Everton are just not set up for relegation. I don't think people are quite grasping how bad it could be.

For one, we could be in very real danger of an automatic points deduction.

Two, all of the players would have to go pretty much, and none of them have relegation clauses I bet. So we'd be selling players way, way below their market value or having to loan them out just to get their wages out.

We have to make £50m as it is to avoid PL P&S punishment so that will be even stricter in the EFL. Everything goes down - matchday revenue, TV money etc - and we're using the TV money to keep us going right now.

Then we have the need to invest some money back into the squad to push for promotion because Everton have only budgeted for one year in the Championship.

So no, if we go down, it really is bad.

This squad as it currently is, without any sales, wouldn’t get promoted imo.
I'd beg to differ there is a massive gulf in quality between premier and championship, we will probably sell a couple but i could see us coming straight back up. I know I'll be called delusional but there are probably around six teams in the championship that will be fighting for promotion and we would definitely be one of them.

Leeds took 16 years!!!!!

Newcastle went down but were financially set to do so - that's how Ashley ran them. He didn't spend money in the PL but that meant if they went down they had money to have the biggest budget in the Championship by far.

Man City last went down in 1996 mate ffs

Everton are just not set up for relegation. I don't think people are quite grasping how bad it could be.

For one, we could be in very real danger of an automatic points deduction.

Two, all of the players would have to go pretty much, and none of them have relegation clauses I bet. So we'd be selling players way, way below their market value or having to loan them out just to get their wages out.

We have to make £50m as it is to avoid PL P&S punishment so that will be even stricter in the EFL. Everything goes down - matchday revenue, TV money etc - and we're using the TV money to keep us going right now.

Then we have the need to invest some money back into the squad to push for promotion because Everton have only budgeted for one year in the Championship.

So no, if we go down, it really is bad.
While I agree with pretty much everything you've said there, the bold/underlined bit... I've seen that bandied about a lot over the last few days... let's be honest we have absolutely no way of knowing whether that's true or not. Honestly, I'd be shocked if it was true - for one, I'd be shocked if insurers etc would allow for contracts to be signed without them for any club that's bobbing around mid table or lower.

You get a £40m parachute payment INSTEAD OF the ~£100m tv money.

So the "income for being relegated" is about £40m, not £140m. And for that £40m you trade in all your best players

Never said that though did I? I said the £100mill is on player sales, £40mill parachute payment, and huge reduction in our wage bill (the key reason for our financial issues).

And "best players"? Really? They've relegated us.

Never said that though did I? I said the £100mill is on player sales, £40mill parachute payment, and huge reduction in our wage bill (the key reason for our financial issues).

And "best players"? Really? They've relegated us.
I said best. I didn't say "good".

Although they can't be that bad if you reckon we're getting £100m in sales in a buyers market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back