Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're into the realms of "if this happens then this happens and then this, we have a chance".

But....

....if Leeds lose tonight and more likely again on Sunday against City, it hands us enormous incentive to beat Chelsea and get to within 1 point of Leeds with a game in hand.

All we can do is win our games and see where we lie. But Leeds defo have a very difficult run in on paper. If we can just be breathing down their necks by this time next week it will be very much game on.
I think there will be more twists and turns. We just have to keep/start winning our games.

I can see Leeds getting dragged back, Villa possibly too. Our aim needs to be 11 points from now. Minimum 9.

I think there will be more twists and turns. We just have to keep/start winning our games.

I can see Leeds getting dragged back, Villa possibly too. Our aim needs to be 11 points from now. Minimum 9.
If you win games then you keep pressure on those around.

We are definitely for the first time a team assigned to go down.

Others like Leeds and Burnley have been - and then got themselves out of that position. We need to do the same.

It's looking bleak, but we have a chance. Three wins and a draw can save us I think. If the team and fans are up for those games we can just do it. Anything less and we're relegated.

If we played from now on with the same intensity and snide as we did in the first half yesterday would we have a better chance of avoiding the drop?

If we played from now on with the same intensity and snide as we did in the first half yesterday would we have a better chance of avoiding the drop?
We needed to do that from the moment Lampard came in.

He didn't learn his lessons here fast enough.

As soon as he saw that collapse against Newcastle up there he needed to get that lot into snide mode and deny teams space and play counter attacking football.

That would have had us another 6/7 points better off.

I don't think we'll have much choice but to sell them if we drop. There is no way that Richarlison, DCL or Pickford will want to stay especially in a world cup year. Besides, they offer the best chance of balancing the books.
If we ship out the overpaid under-contributors (such as Gomes and Mina) after letting Delph, Tosun & Sigurdsson, we will make a decent dent in one of the two factors that have caused the books to become so unbalanced in the first place: the payroll.

The other factor is the transfer fee deficit. Selling Richy to (for instance) Real Madrid for 70m will see us bank a profit equal to 70m MINUS whatever we paid for him (somewhere between 35m and 50m). Regardless of that, we still need to sell Mina, Gomes and anyone else who is likely to leave for nothing - we're better off making a SMALL loss against book value if the money saved in wages is in the region of 5m per year, per player. The other consideration is Academy grads like Davies and Gordon - if they are sold, the fee is pure profit. Equally a very low-cost purchase, like Rondon, Gray or Townsend, could also be moved on for a net profit.

I'm not against selling Richy, or DCL or Pickford if we have ALREADY tried all the above and failed. I'm against automatically shipping them out first, before even trying to get rid of Gomes and Mina. We just have to be MUCH smarter in our financial dealings generally: I'd agree wholeheartedly that we either have to extend Doucoure this summer or sell him, for instance.

"Stop being negative and back the club......."
1a906cd5-094c-4232-870d-035e29b23be8.jpg

Relegation would be the big wake up call this club has needed for years. Villa, Leeds, Newcastle etc have all tasted it in recent times and if you think we're any better a club than any of those in the current era then you have delusions of grandeur. We've done nothing for decades apart from exist.

If we ship out the overpaid under-contributors (such as Gomes and Mina) after letting Delph, Tosun & Sigurdsson, we will make a decent dent in one of the two factors that have caused the books to become so unbalanced in the first place: the payroll.

The other factor is the transfer fee deficit. Selling Richy to (for instance) Real Madrid for 70m will see us bank a profit equal to 70m MINUS whatever we paid for him (somewhere between 35m and 50m). Regardless of that, we still need to sell Mina, Gomes and anyone else who is likely to leave for nothing - we're better off making a SMALL loss against book value if the money saved in wages is in the region of 5m per year, per player. The other consideration is Academy grads like Davies and Gordon - if they are sold, the fee is pure profit. Equally a very low-cost purchase, like Rondon, Gray or Townsend, could also be moved on for a net profit.

I'm not against selling Richy, or DCL or Pickford if we have ALREADY tried all the above and failed. I'm against automatically shipping them out first, before even trying to get rid of Gomes and Mina. We just have to be MUCH smarter in our financial dealings generally: I'd agree wholeheartedly that we either have to extend Doucoure this summer or sell him, for instance.
But they won't want to stay anyway. It doesn't mean that you can't try and raise funds selling the garbage but there is absolutely zero way that Richarlison or Pickford stay to play in the championship and risk losing their world cup spot. DCL might stay if no one shows any real interest. He has no WC spot to lose

If you win games then you keep pressure on those around.

We are definitely for the first time a team assigned to go down.

Others like Leeds and Burnley have been - and then got themselves out of that position. We need to do the same.

It's looking bleak, but we have a chance. Three wins and a draw can save us I think. If the team and fans are up for those games we can just do it. Anything less and we're relegated.
This is the key thing. We've barely registered any draws this season. The away games simply cannot be overlooked now. We need the Palace, Watford, Brentford games to all be wins.

Regardless of what has been said, we have the game in hand, it's still in our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back