Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heart went out of our club when Moyes left, hibbert said something along those lines. Can only agree with him.
The problem was his head had been turned since about January with the Mancs. His last few months were really poor, but not as disastrous as this season.

Since September 25th when we beat Norwich, we have only won two league games, against Arsenal on December 6th, and Leeds on February 12th.

We've accumulated since September 25th, nine points from the fifty seven points that were available. We've won two games, drew three, and lost fourteen.

So less of the bed wetting shouts, and let's acknowledge how bad things actually are!
Great post, unfortunately.

A couple of months back I said 60/40 we go down, the belief Everton has 'better players' being outweighed by:

- defensive frailty
- no obvious playing style
- low squad morale
- and crucially: neither a manager nor squad that's been in this position versus those around us.

I think it's edged towards 70/30 we're down, BUT we're not down yet. Why can't we scrape the points we need from home games? Who says Leeds, Burnley, Brentford will stay up? Injuries, referee decisions (they know they owe us one) and 10 weeks of football remain. We can do it :)

It's finally hit home for me, I now honestly think will be going down. looking at the fixture list I cant see us getting points from any team we have left to play other than Watford perhaps.

If we don't beat Wolves on Sunday, we might need at much as a 50% win rate in the final 12 games. lol

Goodbye Premier League, although it wasn't particularly kind to us at least we had a seat at the big table for a long time.

You can’t underestimate how important this wolves game is in our history , our rivals near the bottom play each other this weekend and we could in theory be in the bottom two by Sunday night without a win

I've for a while even after last night I still don't think we will go down.

However if we don't get at least 4 points from these next 2 games with out fixture list and away form how it is, then I think we will.

IF we manage to stay up Frank needs to be allowed to rebuild that whole defence because it is terrifying

I've for a while even after last night I still don't think we will go down.

However if we don't get at least 4 points from these next 2 games with out fixture list and away form how it is, then I think we will.

IF we manage to stay up Frank needs to be allowed to rebuild that whole defence because it is terrifying
Mate we need a new team. We stink everywhere. Apart from Pickford when he doesn't lose his head, we are gutless, clueless, spineless, passionless.

The heart went out of our club when Moyes left, hibbert said something along those lines. Can only agree with him.
Yup.

Martinez dined out on the defensive resilience and culture that Moyes built over nearly a decade, that took about a season and a half to drain away once he left. That was strong enough for Martinez to nearly make CL when he added Lukaku to the mix. That's Martinez with argubly the best squad in the world at Belgium and STILL not make a major final.

Despite the eventual recognition of Moyes achievements, I've never seen the same characteristics in other young British managers (Dyche, Howe, Potter etc) recognised amongst Everton fans. The desire and belief we needed a flashy name to cement us in Europe was like a tattoo. Alladyce had us in 8th... imagine that now. The guy was ridiculed.

In this sense, the natural conclusion of relegation ( I think it's now more likely than not ) only bears out basic footballing principles. Build from the back and try and find that talent that shades tight games. Grow from within. Everton has done the opposite since Moyes departure. We have a bit of forward talent (Rico, and DCL/Gray once a month, Gordon young but v.promising) but absolutely no resilience from midfield backwards. Just one add-on after another. Sticky tape.

Would relegation be bad?
- Newcastle, Villa, Leicester, Southampton, West Ham have reacted with better fortunes when clearing out toxic ownership
- It will force us to rid ourselves of a beleaguered squad too, and build the youth system that's been allow to fester at Everton
- But Sunderland, Portsmouth, Forest, Leeds and other well supported clubs show that this path can also be a torturous one with many still up and down frequently - the true cost of mismanagement and complacent player, agent and mgt splurges under Moshiri and Kenwright, post Moyes.

I pray we can stay up, but it must not cloud what needs to be done to correct our path.

Looking pretty glum as I ponder upon the result. Another game gone in which to right a few things. But while there are still so many games left we shouldn't allow ourselves to wallow in self pity. Starting Sunday we need to bag a win. Nothing more Nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.