Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes should have and was in fact under threat of being sacked at the end of 2003-2004 season. Rooney had not progressed we had gone backwards as a team. Instead he stayed got us to the CL by a miracle and we were forced to watch 9 further years of treading water without playing particularly attractive football.

That was impressive as hell, to be fair.

He had enough money to do what he did especially when you look where our wages put us and he had Rooney. .

I'd take the squad he inherited to fight relegation any time any place over any team that's been relegated during Moyes tenure. Our problem was we were an unstable big club under Walter and Johnson aspiring to compete but making a pills of it.

Under the watch of Moyes and Kenwright we gained stability but the cost was a drift into small club status existing in the division was enough - scandalous imo.

The biggest example is 11 years and no trophies later some still refer to "relegation battles" as though that defines this remarkable club .... 11 fookin' years???

Well on our way to being Sunderland we were.
Precisely

Yes Everton were involved in relegation battles but in terms of POTENTIAL, the club were massively underachieving.

To put it into context, Tony Pulis took over at Stoke they were threatened with relegation to the 2nd division. He established them as a Premier League club and got them into Europe. It's ten times a greater achievement than that of Moyes.

Sam Allaedyce brought Bolton from the arse end of the Championship to 6th in the PL and the knockout stages of Europe. What happened them after he left?

Martin O'neill took Leicester to the PL. in his first season in charge and kept them there in relative safety for years, winning two league cups along the way. What happened them after he left?

(not that I would want any of those managing Everton)

Moyes took a job at EVERTON. He got 11 years in the job, and he did reasonably well.
You could say he's a good manager, but never a great one by any stretch.

Last edited:
He had enough money to do what he did especially when you look where our wages put us and he had Rooney. .

I'd take the squad he inherited to fight relegation any time any place over any team that's been relegated during Moyes tenure. Our problem was we were an unstable big club under Walter and Johnson aspiring to compete but making a pills of it.

Under the watch of Moyes and Kenwright we gained stability but the cost was a drift into small club status existing in the division was enough - scandalous imo.

The biggest example is 11 years and no trophies later some still refer to "relegation battles" as though that defines this remarkable club .... 11 fookin' years???

Well on our way to being Sunderland we were.

Your mistaking how you define Moyes time here, with how others define Everton.

Relegation battles are not what defines the club, that's what defines Kenwright and his tenure and his predecessor and the damage that was done, before Moyes, and consequently the restrictions under which Moyes worked.

Moyes & Martinez are now the lowest spenders in the league since 2003, yet you dismiss Moyes efforts with a simple, he had enough money to do what he has done. And you claim that our squad was better than say Leeds when they went down, Smith, Pennant, Viduka, Robinson, Duberry, Batty, Lennon, Milner, Barmby, most in their prime... I just can't see it myself.

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-2003-to-date.html

He was a superb manager.

But I do think, to play devil's advocate, there is an argument to be made that we as fans, focus entirely on his first two seasons, when we finished 6th and won an fa cup and not on the third season where we lost to york city and were pretty godawful.

I think personally, the highs far outweigh the lows, but there were lows.

I remember York vividly. Total shambles. Agreed there were lows. I loved the guy though.

He was a superb manager.

But I do think, to play devil's advocate, there is an argument to be made that we as fans, focus entirely on his first two seasons, when we finished 6th and won an fa cup and not on the third season where we lost to york city and were pretty godawful.

I think personally, the highs far outweigh the lows, but there were lows.
We should've kept Royle longer.

Johnson's fault, that.

Precisely

Yes Everton were involved in relegation battles but in terms of POTENTIAL, the club were massively underachieving.

To put it into context, Tony Pulis took over at Stoke they were threatened with relegation to the 2nd division. He established them as a Premier League club and got them into Europe. It's ten times a greater achievement than that of Moyes.

Sam Allaedyce brought Bolton from the arse end of the Championship to 6th in the PL and the knockout stages of Europe. What happened them after he left?

Martin O'neill took Leicester to the PL. in his first season in charge and kept them there in relative safety for years, winning two league cups along the way. What happened them after he left?

(not that I would want any of those managing Everton)

Moyes took a job at EVERTON. He got 11 years in the job, and he did reasonably well.
You could say he's a good manager, but never a great one by any stretch.

But Pulis spent like twice what Moyes did and never finished above 11th. So is it really a greater achievement? It isn't.

I agree with Allardyce though. I said back when we had Moyes that Allardyce at Bolton did basically the same job Moyes did here but better. And both have struggled when taken out of their comfort zone and put in at a club with more pressure on them.

The percentage managers of which Moyes and Allardyce were the greatest have had their day in english football, I think.

kTeP61w.jpg

Saved the club from oblivion

The greatest Everton manager of all time

Should build a statue of him and put it in the center circle

Hugging Leon 'millionaire martyr' Osman and Phil 'yer boots with money' Neville

Your mistaking how you define Moyes time here, with how others define Everton.

Relegation battles are not what defines the club, that's what defines Kenwright and his tenure and his predecessor and the damage that was done, before Moyes, and consequently the restrictions under which Moyes worked.

Moyes & Martinez are now the lowest spenders in the league since 2003, yet you dismiss Moyes efforts with a simple, he had enough money to do what he has done. And you claim that our squad was better than say Leeds when they went down, Smith, Pennant, Viduka, Robinson, Duberry, Batty, Lennon, Milner, Barmby, most in their prime... I just can't see it myself.

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-2003-to-date.html
It's interesting you use the expensively assembled Leeds outfit as your example because no one spent more than Leeds on players they were the ultimate big spenders yet finishing 5th in 2002-03 led to relegation with said players in 2003-04. If that doesn't prove the folly of hanging your hat on the financial argument I really don't know what does.

Moyes went for the common denominator play of keep it tight and work hard the province of Pulis, Allardyce, Mcarthy and countless others his average league position aligned with our wage bill position (he said so himself). As others have said he was given time like no other but here comes the opinion.

In my eyes he wasted the opportunity there was no development after 3 years and we flat-lined amid some dreadful football, puzzling decisions turning into perennial chokers. The oft referred to ability to spot a player is massively overplayed if you've played football you can spot a player full stop, inspiring and getting the best out of them is an entirely rarer talent - something Moyes has never had and never will.

Any debate on these matters has been rendered pointless by Moyes at Utd and Martinez at Everton, it really has.

It's interesting you use the expensively assembled Leeds outfit as your example because no one spent more than Leeds on players they were the ultimate big spenders yet finishing 5th in 2002-03 led to relegation with said players in 2003-04. If that doesn't prove the folly of hanging your hat on the financial argument I really don't know what does.

Moyes went for the common denominator play of keep it tight and work hard the province of Pulis, Allardyce, Mcarthy and countless others his average league position aligned with our wage bill position (he said so himself). As others have said he was given time like no other but here comes the opinion.

In my eyes he wasted the opportunity there was no development after 3 years and we flat-lined amid some dreadful football, puzzling decisions turning into perennial chokers. The oft referred to ability to spot a player is massively overplayed if you've played football you can spot a player full stop, inspiring and getting the best out of them is an entirely rarer talent - something Moyes has never had and never will.

Any debate on these matters has been rendered pointless by Moyes at Utd and Martinez at Everton, it really has.

That's not true.

You're doing yourselves no favours by using hyperbole and lies when your main argument is perfectly sound without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back