Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you say is perfectly true.

But for several years before he left we were given to understand that Moyes was indeed "an elite manager" and it was only the financial constraints at Everton which were stopping him proving it.

That's why he was parachuted into Manchester United when Ferguson retired.

We now see that for the errant twaddle it was.

Both here at Goodison and at Old Trafford.

I never fell for that one myself, like.

Moyes was a good manager for about 7-8 years for us. Stayed too long. Never won a cup.

Probably our best non-cup/league winning manager, but that's all. Martinez is better, if only because of days like yesterday. Don't remember that happening much under Moyes. We could beat big teams at Goodison...but not like that.

Moyes is the very best of the percentage managers. But percentage football is no longer good enough to win things, and has been left in the dust by managers with deeper tactical understanding.

Moyes was a good manager for about 7-8 years for us. Stayed too long. Never won a cup.

Probably our best non-cup/league winning manager, but that's all. Martinez is better, if only because of days like yesterday. Don't remember that happening much under Moyes. We could beat big teams at Goodison...but not like that.

Moyes is the very best of the percentage managers. But percentage football is no longer good enough to win things, and has been left in the dust by managers with deeper tactical understanding.

Yeah I agree with all that.

Not too sure about the stayed too long stuff, mind for all that I was calling for his head long before he left.

I think last year was really crucial for the success of this year. It meant that Martinez had a trophy under his belt, which must help in the dressing room, that he was willing to come here and that he inherited probably the best and the most footballing of moyes teams.

The transition if he'd pick up the godawful team of saha and cahill up front instead would have been a lot less smooth than inheriting a team which played some great stuff last year.

you know the other weird thing, the media still think of Moyes as a "good YOUNG manager". He's 50 years old for christ sakes!

Yeah I agree with all that.

Not too sure about the stayed too long stuff, mind for all that I was calling for his head long before he left.

I think last year was really crucial for the success of this year. It meant that Martinez had a trophy under his belt, which must help in the dressing room, that he was willing to come here and that he inherited probably the best and the most footballing of moyes teams.

The transition if he'd pick up the godawful team of saha and cahill up front instead would have been a lot less smooth than inheriting a team which played some great stuff last year.
Yeah, I agree with that. The timing worked out perfectly for us. I do think Moyes had kind of given up on us for the past few years though...might just be goggles from how Bobby has us playing though. We needed someone to open the windows and let the place air out.

Think Arsenal are in a similar place to where we were the past few years - manager just seems too tired to keep fighting the fight.

But I'm happy to accept a couple of years of 6-8th to get us a confident Roberto with the team we have now.

I'll reserve judgement (or at least the latest chapter of my judgement) and see if he comes sniffing for Barkley and Coleman in the summer. That will lower my humble opinion of him a bit more I think.

I'll reserve judgement (or at least the latest chapter of my judgement) and see if he comes sniffing for Barkley and Coleman in the summer. That will lower my humble opinion of him a bit more I think.
Let him sniff.

Reactions: Loz
Royal was better than Moyes
Kendall was better than Moyes
Neither of these things makes Moyes a bad manager, just the other 2 were superb.

Martinez got an equal Fellaini size leg up, so what? Doesn't make him any less of a manager does it?

Moyes was the man who built a quality team from the scraps of the big spending behemoths, and took that team of misfits, freebies and lucky dips, and shoved it in the leagues faces by being the first to break into the top 4, a feat that has been replicated by only two teams, Spurs and City and what did they do to acheive that? spend big, big money over a prolonged period.

Sure if you forget the team he inherrited, the relegation battles we were in previously, the one goal from going down x 2 of the decade before and the mindset instilled by that, the lack of money, that lack of quality and the impact of losing your best striker to United after both the player and the chairman had told the world and the players that he wouldn't be going, and you incorrectly assumed Moyes took over a team from the 80's, he was pretty average, poor in fact... but that is not the truth of the matter.

Look at it objectively and he did a great job and laid some very hard to build foundations for Martinez to take over and turn into the Everton we all love but maybe started to forget over these last 30 years.

What is Moyes? A great builder of great teams without the tactical nouse to utilitise them to their fullest, a manager who pulled us back from the brink of disaster and pushed us to the brink of success whilst not quite having the mental strength to push hard enough to acheive it.

Was 4th an acheivement? Of course it was, the domination of the big teams was absolute when Moyes did it, to ignore this shows a deep lack of genuine perspective, or a wilfully impossed ignorance. Someone else getting 4th wasn't even considered at the time, let alone us with our Blue and White Tecos value team.

ps Neither Villa, Newcastle or Spurs have done anything like as well as Moyes did over that time period so its kind of understandable that Moyes gets more praise, considering they spent a load more money and started with superior teams and fluked going above us once, whereas we beat them season after season I would say its completely obvious that Moyes and Everton were superior. Also finishing top 10 is not what we did, we had a series of results between 8th and 4th barring two poor seasons. So yeah again, why would you expect Villa to get praise if they finished 10th?

That's without mentioning that he bought Coleman which is an argument winner in its own right to be fair.

I agree with all of the above, apart from the bit about Royle being better than Moyes. That FA Cup win and beating the RS a lot does tend to conceal other, quite serious, flaws.

He should be remembered like Gordon Lee who's football was far more attractive an almost man! nothing more nothing less and what's worse he tried to poach players after he left under kind circumstances where Gordon lee was sacked!

I remember playing brilliantly in games at this time of year with nothing at stake as we'd completely fallen out of the running for top 4.

Moyes never would have beat arsenal yesterday, even if they played that bad, because the way we'd set up with him in charge would most definitely invited them back into the game.

this is how i remember motes

I agree with all of the above, apart from the bit about Royle being better than Moyes. That FA Cup win and beating the RS a lot does tend to conceal other, quite serious, flaws.
Have to disagree with you there my friend. Royle's team actually played with some pace and flair, especially after they signed Kanchelskis. He also motivated his team so that they could win the big games, something that Moyes never really achieved in a decade. Look at Royle's first three games (with a team at the foot of the table)...victories against Liverpool, Chelsea and Leeds. Kept us up when even the bookies had stopped taking bets that we would go down, and also then won us the cup.
Left under a cloud when the board wouldn't allow him to sign Flo for about £1,000,000....Chelsea then buy him for less than half of that, keep him for two years and sell him for £12,000,000. Royle was proved a good judge again....but sadly had left us by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back