Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true.

You're doing yourselves no favours by using hyperbole and lies when your main argument is perfectly sound without it.

I'm hardly moyes biggest fan myself and had wanted him out for a while but it does make me laugh the lengths people go to criticize him now he's left

Retire or not. 10 years at Everton without a trophy - compare to what was before him and after him (hopefully), context will be forgotten but his lack of trophies won't.

I think how Moyers is defined depends on how well Martinez does likewise Walter Smith's era was partially defined by moyes's relative achievements

Sorry mate I've seen it quoted on here a number of times Moyes average league position is slightly better than 8th and our wage bill put us at 9th - it stands.

Bollocks.

2000-01 under Walter Smith we paid the 8th biggest wages and came 16th.
2001-02 under Smith & Moyes we paid the 13th biggest wages and came 15th.
2002-03 under Moyes we paid the 14th biggest wages and came 7th.
2003-04 under Moyes we paid the 10th biggest wages and came 17th.
2004-05 under Moyes we paid the 11th biggest wages and came 4th.
2005-06 under Moyes we paid the 8th biggest wages and came 11th.
2006-07 under Moyes we paid the 9th biggest wages and came 6th.
2007-08 under Moyes we paid the 11th biggest wages and came 5th.
2008-09 under Moyes we paid the 12th biggest wages and came 5th.
2009-10 under Moyes we paid the 10th biggest wages and came 8th.
2010-11 under Moyes we paid the 9th biggest wages and came 7th.
2011-12 under Moyes we paid the 10th biggest wages and came 7th.
2012-13 under Moyes we paid the 10th biggest wages and came 6th.

So under full Moyes seasons on average we paid the 10th biggest wages and came 7th, so 3 positions better rather than the one you claim. 3 +7 positions, 1+ 6, 1 +4, 2 +3, 2 +2 and 2 times we finished below our wages bill, 1 -3 and 1-7.

Combine that with our negative net spend and the spending of our peers, who spend 5 times as much, and that's quite good.

Compare that with a proven bad manager (Smith: who got nowhere near our wage total) and a proven good manager (Martinez: who'll take us to 4th with a wage bill in the lower half of the league's totals) and Moyes is proven as the straight down the middle average manager he is. But compared to prem managers on the whole, he's better than most.

its a sad day when Evertonians can judge a manager a success who hasn't won a trophy for us. We've accept mediocrity and its a disservice to all the ace teams that's gone before us.

Twenty years like. FFS.

its a sad day when Evertonians can judge a manager a success who hasn't won a trophy for us. We've accept mediocrity and its a disservice to all the ace teams that's gone before us.

Twenty years like. FFS.

God, you've changed your tune. If I could be arsed I'd vault you having a go at me for my Moyes hatred.

Bollocks.

So under full Moyes seasons on average we paid the 10th biggest wages and came 7th, so 3 positions better rather than the one you claim. 3 +7 positions, 1+ 6, 1 +4, 2 +3, 2 +2 and 2 times we finished below our wages bill, 1 -3 and 1-7.

Combine that with our negative net spend and the spending of our peers, who spend 5 times as much, and that's quite good.

Compare that with a proven bad manager (Smith: who got nowhere near our wage total) and a proven good manager (Martinez: who'll take us to 4th with a wage bill in the lower half of the league's totals) and Moyes is proven as the straight down the middle average manager he is. But compared to prem managers on the whole, he's better than most.

DID NOT READ

LOOOOOOLOLLLLLLZLLLLLLZZZZZ

Bollocks.

Attachments

• wonga.webp
    wonga.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 127
In my eyes he wasted the opportunity there was no development after 3 years and we flat-lined amid some dreadful football, puzzling decisions turning into perennial chokers. The oft referred to ability to spot a player is massively overplayed if you've played football you can spot a player full stop, inspiring and getting the best out of them is an entirely rarer talent - something Moyes has never had and never will.

Any debate on these matters has been rendered pointless by Moyes at Utd and Martinez at Everton, it really has.

The thing is players age, go off the boil, have their head turned, force a move, get greedy, go out on the lash slamming mountains of coke and screwing lap dancers, or simply get a better offer from another club and choose family and stability at said club that is/was more advanced than we were/are at the time.
Moyes was trawling the junkyards for players he knew could do a job but were outcasts - Arteta and Pienaar fall into this bracket. Was he brave to give them a loan chance? was he forced to shop there because otherwise it was nothing? Maybe a bit of both.
Getting the best from players, sounds amazing, but getting any games and then any goals out of sicknote Saha means the man deserves a country naming after him. Lifting players well beyond their glass ceiling and getting regular performances from them is an amazing skill he had and has. Applying that to a crop of talent two or three leagues above what he's used to is a different ball game.
Football has taught me many things, firstly dedication and commitment always pays off. Secondly never write anyone or any side off.

Seems Moyes is marmite, loved or hated, very little inbetween. I get the feeling some expected him to help force Kenwright out like Smith helped do to Johnson. Others to happy to lay into him because it was easier to blame him for us not challenging for the league like we had in the 80's than to look at the encyclopedia destructica of decisions that complimented the mismanagement and stupidity of those firing squad years.

Moyes did well for us, and we did well for him. If I'm lucky enough to make the Man U game in a week or so I'll cheer him, out of thanks, out of respect, out of not being some drunken know nothing with a self serving egotistical attitude about how I deserve only the best without any endeavour whatsoever.
If Ferdinand and Vidic are playing I'll boo my testes off.

Bollocks.

Mate it's a bit splitting hairs doncha think?

I've quoted slightly better than 8th as his league finish and you've gone with 7th!!!

9th as the wages and you go with 10th!!! I'm quite happy to concede this point but y'know in the grand scheme of things I don't think it changes things one iota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back