Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall thankfull for his contribution in relation to where we where at the time when he took over.

Relatively speaking, he was boss after Walter Smith but wouldn't have lasted very long if he took over in say Colin Harvey's day after Howard Kendall. A little like the position he finds himself in today.

Regardless, we are going to tonk arsenal tomorrow ....

how will he be remembered?
Like he's still here on this forum I reckon..

Fortunately Evertonians know their history so whilst he'll never be a Kendall, he'll be remembered as the guy who changed us from this:

Season P W D L GF GA W D L GF GA GD Pts Pos
1992-93 42 7 6 8 26 27 8 2 11 27 28 -2 53 13th
1993-94 42 8 4 9 26 30 4 4 13 16 33 -21 44 17th
1994-95 42 8 9 4 31 23 3 8 10 13 28 -7 50 15th
1995-96 38 10 5 4 35 19 7 5 7 29 25 +20 61 6th
1996-97 38 7 4 8 24 22 3 8 8 20 35 -13 42 15th
1997-98 38 7 5 7 25 27 2 8 9 16 29 -15 40 17th
1998-99 38 6 8 5 22 12 5 2 12 20 35 -7 43 14th
1999-2k 38 7 9 3 36 19 5 5 9 23 28 +12 50 13th
2000-01 38 6 8 5 29 27 5 1 13 16 32 -14 42 16th
2001-02 38 8 4 7 26 23 3 6 10 19 34 -12 43 15th

To this:

2002-03 38 11 5 3 28 19 6 3 10 20 30 -1 59 7th
2003-04 38 8 5 6 27 20 1 7 11 18 37 -12 39 17th
2004-05 38 12 2 5 24 15 6 5 8 21 31 -1 61 4th
2005-06 38 8 4 7 22 22 6 4 9 12 27 -15 50 11th
2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th
2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th
2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th
2009-10 38 11 6 2 35 21 5 7 7 25 28 +11 61 8th
2010-11 38 9 7 3 31 23 4 8 7 20 22 +6 54 7th
2011-12 38 10 3 6 28 15 5 8 6 22 25 +10 56 7th
2012-13 38 12 6 1 33 17 4 9 6 22 23 +15 63 6th

Consideration won't be given that this was a period when everyone around him spent ten times as much to try and stay ahead/catch up, nor that he only dominated possession by an average of just over 52% whilst his replacement has 54% ave, nor that he played a passing game that tended to start from a direct ball instead of the new short passing style that was introduced by his successor... That is something for the here and now amongst us to enjoy... History won't care.

Look at that table and trophies and that is what he will be judged on.
He changed us completely but clearly had a limit, he'll be overshadowed by the achievements of Martinez, but it takes a blind chimp to not see that Moyes was where our transformation from dross to boss started.

Last edited:
The manager that made Everton professional.

Manager-David-Moyes-shocked-2280617.jpg

We've all heard it in anecdotes from ye olden times of football, how players would be out drinking or sitting at home playing video games or how they had sweets and pastries pre-match or whatever, and these are things that used to happen quite recently. Appearantly Wenger was the one who removed the cookie tray from the wardrobe at Arsenal, and i am sure that Everton in this same period had to start dealing with the facts and challenges of modern football.

David Moyes was an excellent administrator and admiral overseer of the HMS Everton for over a decade, and he made this ship make money in a time where players went from costing virtually nothing (remember Alan Shearer was the record signing of the world for £15m. Today, that sum gets you two fifths of Andy Carroll) and exploiting it shrewdly while generating the right results.

01012008_alan-shearer.jpg

Another thing is, he was right for us. He was proper Everton. He might not have said the right things tactically, he might not have had the proper game mentality, but he had the right kind of heart, the right color nose. Knife to a gun fight and bottling aside, at least he stood up for our existence like the catholic dad of that kid that gets into fights in 4th grade with lads twice his size despite not really wanting to fight. It's just that he gets picked on sometimes and if he doesn't put up a fight he'll be disregarded as one of the weak nerdy kids and his social life will go to pish. At least now that kid gets by as one of the inbetweeners.

article-2158494-1394A429000005DC-805_634x694.jpg

Cause catholic dad Moyes gave him a little bit of basic knife combat training. With Phil Neville as the pointy-haired pointy-fingered awkward uncle. So it's no coincidence that polish Phil did THAT gawdy dancing celebration.

We've all heard it in anecdotes from ye olden times of football, how players would be out drinking or sitting at home playing video games or how they had sweets and pastries pre-match or whatever, and these are things that used to happen quite recently. Appearantly Wenger was the one who removed the cookie tray from the wardrobe at Arsenal, and i am sure that Everton in this same period had to start dealing with the facts and challenges of modern football.

David Moyes was an excellent administrator and admiral overseer of the HMS Everton for over a decade, and he made this ship make money in a time where players went from costing virtually nothing (remember Alan Shearer was the record signing of the world for £15m. Today, that sum gets you two fifths of Andy Carroll) and exploiting it shrewdly while generating the right results.

Another thing is, he was right for us. He was proper Everton. He might not have said the right things tactically, he might not have had the proper game mentality, but he had the right kind of heart, the right color nose. Knife to a gun fight and bottling aside, at least he stood up for our existence like the catholic dad of that kid that gets into fights in 4th grade with lads twice his size despite not really wanting to fight. It's just that he gets picked on sometimes and if he doesn't put up a fight he'll be disregarded as one of the weak nerdy kids and his social life will go to pish. At least now that kid gets by as one of the inbetweeners.

Cause catholic dad Moyes gave him a little bit of basic knife combat training. With Phil Neville as the pointy-haired pointy-fingered awkward uncle. So it's no coincidence that polish Phil did THAT gawdy dancing celebration.

How much have you drank mate?

He was never proper Everton. I don't believe anyone who is would ever say that either!

If Bob got us relegated I'd love him more than I was ever arsed about Moyes! Because he's trying to live up to our history and heritage. Not piss on it and belittle it!

How will Moyes be remembered?

Saviour. There are problems with the ownership now but then it was worse. The revolving door policy of worse manager after poor was something he broke. Single-handedly he changed the stature and attitude of our club. He started by dealing in the bargain basement and made it work from there. It often wasn't pretty, but he worked with what he had and ground out results.

Everton FC didn't go down the pan because of him.
Everton FC didn't get knocked off the top table of British football overnight - it happened slowly, subtly. There were no hand ups from anyone when we were in the gutter. Moyes takes the plaudits for his work, for his reputation then (with Preston) and since having dragged us up to being noticed again.

He was no Messiah, he had and has plenty of faults. Who else could have done it? Who else would?
Familiarity breeds contempt. Today saw Chris Houghton sacked at Norwich (where we paid for Mike Walker if you can believe that) having got them 11th last term. Stoke had banners for Pulis earlier this year for keeping them going for so long.
For every nightmare Moyes gave us (and there were a few) he buried twice as many demons. Better players, higher expectation, significantly better league finishes, european football and a couple of cup runs.
Hand on heart, who at day one expected such success compared to where we found ourselves languishing? I know I couldn't have dreamed of the turn around he oversaw.

He was never proper Everton. I don't believe anyone who is would ever say that either!

If Bob got us relegated I'd love him more than I was ever arsed about Moyes! Because he's trying to live up to our history and heritage. Not piss on it and belittle it!

That is bollocks, though.

Moyes left us in a much better position than he found us in, and you can only really say that about three or four Everton managers in the past fifty years. That Smith side was absolutely terrible, and even if I suffer from dementia at the end of my life one of the few memories that I will no doubt retain is the utter horror that was that Boro game.

That is bollocks, though.

Moyes left us in a much better position than he found us in, and you can only really say that about three or four Everton managers in the past fifty years. That Smith side was absolutely terrible, and even if I suffer from dementia at the end of my life one of the few memories that I will no doubt retain is the utter horror that was that Boro game.

It isn't.

Moyes was a good manager overall. But proper Everton??? Haha, no chance! Proven it since too!

Moyes won nothing, never even went close. He deserves the modest acclaim he gets.

That Smith side was absolutely terrible, and even if I suffer from dementia at the end of my life one of the few memories that I will no doubt retain is the utter horror that was that Boro game.

I feel I have to amend that. It was the side we were setup to be, the Football League Rules were changed because Johnson sold Steve Simonsen to himself, Tranmere to us (Everton). For a then record fee for a keeper.

And Smiths era was worse than the Boro game, it hurt live on TV, it hurt how it went down but it had been happening at Goodison away from the cameras in detail for years.
Smith wasn't brought down by one game, never ever, he actually signed some good players ( a couple of world cup winners) but once he had helped force the largest cancer this club has ever suffered out of power he was tainted goods for turning on his boss and being part of that regime.
Sentiment to Smith, he knew the network and picked a few good players up and somehow managed to keep us a prem side but it was a white knuckle ride from season start to season end.He was a monolith, a throwback to the bad old days where players were judged on how much ale they could hold and how unlikely their legs were to break when the inevitable nasties got thrown in in the center circle.

It isn't.

Moyes was a good manager overall. But proper Everton??? Haha, no chance! Proven it since too!

Moyes won nothing, never even went close. He deserves the modest acclaim he gets.
For a large part of his tenure, it wasn't really a possibility. He was a manager who greatly improved upon what he inherited and established us as a top 7 PL team. He reach his personal limit with us with the finances he had imposed upon him. But he was good for this club for a long time.

It isn't.

Fastest goal in FA cup final history, would have been different if Saha buried a 50/50 header and the first manager in England to halt Mourinho (albeit on pens).
The hatred for Moyes is a very worrying factor when considering the core Everton support. I'd recognise what he did and how far we have come if he had decided to up sticks and manage Liverpool FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back