Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's one of the best in the world working in the below 10M transfer market (only Wenger and Sevilla better in the low-middle of the transfer market?). His players for the most part always gave it their all. He also has a knack for keeping some of his best signings like Jags, Arteta (in his pomp) and Baines. He also remade the squad on the fly with no money a couple years back. I doubt Bob comes here if he didn't think there was good quality here.

He's had his trouble in big games but also occasionally unlucky (Villareal, Fiorentina). If only Jelavic was 75% of the player he was when he 1st arrived we would have been 4th. Jags blew his knee in the FA cup final.

I'd still like to see him do well. Of the managers in the top 6 (us excepted) he's the most likable.

Looking back, I'll remember Moyes as the man who brought Everton into the 21st century. That's all I can say.

Put it this way - when was the last time we had to cling on to an ugly-as-sin draw in the pishing down rain against shyte like Coventry to stay up on goal difference, while brick sized transistor radios were pressed to our ears, trying to focus on different matches, praying that other teams could do the business for us....

Just think of that, or the moment Ablett put through his own net 20 years ago.... kind of puts it all in perspective

That never happened under Moyes, so as managers go he was a good manager. But nothing like Bobby, he has broken the mould - no more "good" draws or "honourable" defeats, it's winning or nothing, and that's all I've ever believed in.

For a large part of his tenure, it wasn't really a possibility. He was a manager who greatly improved upon what he inherited and established us as a top 7 PL team. He reach his personal limit with us with the finances he had imposed upon him. But he was good for this club for a long time.

It was a possibility every season of his tenure. He never had it in him and didn't really care either, looking back!

All about respectable league finishes, which he nearly almost always achieved! It was 2-3 seasons in when he got us 4th.

He's one of the best in the world working in the below 10M transfer market (only Wenger and Sevilla better in the low-middle of the transfer market?). His players for the most part always gave it their all. He also has a knack for keeping some of his best signings like Jags, Arteta (in his pomp) and Baines. He also remade the squad on the fly with no money a couple years back. I doubt Bob comes here if he didn't think there was good quality here.

He's had his trouble in big games but also occasionally unlucky (Villareal, Fiorentina). If only Jelavic was 75% of the player he was when he 1st arrived we would have been 4th. Jags blew his knee in the FA cup final.

I'd still like to see him do well. Of the managers in the top 6 (us excepted) he's the most likable.

not sure i could agree with that after what he's said about us.

there is a high percentage of tittishness in the manager department of those 6 though.

it's winning or nothing, and that's all I've ever believed in.

No. Never been more against an idea than that. Going hell for leather is great if its a possibility, but hell for leather just for the fun of it is dangerous. I have had enough of severe beatings under Martinez this season to last me a solid decade. Never ever ever ever should 4 unfit players be started and risked just to chase a result. That isn't football, it's suicide. Moyes was much more pragmatic. And I trusted his defensive signings three or four lifetimes more than I do Martinez's.

Hand on heart, who at day one expected such success compared to where we found ourselves languishing? I know I couldn't have dreamed of the turn around he oversaw.

Me, for one.

Except I am having trouble remembering what "success" we had during his tenure.

Winning the 4th Place Trophy once and losing an F.A. Cup Final ain't what I call "success".

Nice way to re-write history.

Moyes was an average manager who took over a poor team and improved it.

Well done, Davey.

Joe Royle took over a relegation bound team and not only rescued us but a year later had us parading the Cup round Wembley.

Which all goes to show that keeping a team in the top flight and winning some silverware are not mutually exclusive.

The zenith of Moyes's tenure here was in 2005 when we reached the CL qualifiers with 61 points.

Today we went on to 63 points with six games to go.

Achieved under the auspices of a man who refuses to hide behind lack of transfer funds as an excuse for not putting a venerable club like ours at the top table.

I do not know why people regard the fact that we weren't relegated in the past ten or twelve years as being all down to Moyes and that it passes off as "success".

We have been relegated twice since professional league football in this country was invented.

The last time was before practically every bugger on this forum was born.

Heck, even Mike Walker managed to keep us up in '94 when the game looked up.

In short.....EFC doesn't do relegation.

How will I remember Moyes?

A competent but gray man in a gray era for our beloved club.

A man who didn't know how to make the best of a whole raft of gifted players like Barkley, Mirallas, Coleman, Baines etc.

A man who came to Goodison to do good......but overstayed his usefulness and did very well for himself.

And who screwed us over with the deceitful manner of his leaving.

As ever.....all IMO :)

how will he be remembered?
Like he's still here on this forum I reckon..

Fortunately Evertonians know their history so whilst he'll never be a Kendall, he'll be remembered as the guy who changed us from this..

...[league table stats]

Look at that table and trophies and that is what he will be judged on.
He changed us completely but clearly had a limit, he'll be overshadowed by the achievements of Martinez, but it takes a blind chimp to not see that Moyes was where are transformation from dross to boss started.

Yeah, people are obviously annoyed by Moyes's remarks about Everton and negative comparisons with Manchester United and what is now seen as his overly cautious approach to games with big teams. But the fact is that he did change the team around from being perennial relegation strugglers to being consistent top ten in the league. Before Moyes came, if Everton won their first game of the season I thought of the win as three useful points in out relegation battle, not three points towards winning the league or getting into Europe. Looking at the managerial stats on Wikipedia, the win percentage for Moyes has been pretty solid. He's fourth in the list of managers since the 1980's:

1. Howard Kendall (first term) 54.1%
2. Roberto Martinez 45.5%
3. Colin Harvey 42.4%
4. David Moyes 42.1%

Some of the negative comments made about Moyes seem to be very imbalanced given his achievements at Everton, and also some of the expectations being placed on Martinez are similarly one-sided. Martinez has given Everton a much more exciting approach and they have started to think and act like trophies are on the way, but we haven't won any of those yet. In fact, we are aiming, this season to get into the Champions League which to be fair to Moyes is something that he achieved with the club.

So I don't think Moyes should be hated; without him the only trophies we might have won would have been Championship titles.

How will Moyes be remembered?

Saviour. There are problems with the ownership now but then it was worse. The revolving door policy of worse manager after poor was something he broke. Single-handedly he changed the stature and attitude of our club. He started by dealing in the bargain basement and made it work from there. It often wasn't pretty, but he worked with what he had and ground out results.

Everton FC didn't go down the pan because of him.
Everton FC didn't get knocked off the top table of British football overnight - it happened slowly, subtly. There were no hand ups from anyone when we were in the gutter. Moyes takes the plaudits for his work, for his reputation then (with Preston) and since having dragged us up to being noticed again.

He was no Messiah, he had and has plenty of faults. Who else could have done it? Who else would?
Familiarity breeds contempt. Today saw Chris Houghton sacked at Norwich (where we paid for Mike Walker if you can believe that) having got them 11th last term. Stoke had banners for Pulis earlier this year for keeping them going for so long.
For every nightmare Moyes gave us (and there were a few) he buried twice as many demons. Better players, higher expectation, significantly better league finishes, european football and a couple of cup runs.
Hand on heart, who at day one expected such success compared to where we found ourselves languishing? I know I couldn't have dreamed of the turn around he oversaw.
Joe Royal turned us around in about 6 months. Moyes got a Wayne Rooney sized leg-up and had the most secure job in football whilst the clubs around us ballsed it up sacking managers. Moyes got Everton to a fairly average standard of football and let others make mistakes. I'd agree it was the best strategy for about 5 years to get us away from the precipice. People have been conditioned to think that top ten is a miracle for Everton. Nobody says that when Villa, Newcastle or Spurs do well.

What is Moyes? A slightly above average manager who landed on his feet the day he walked into Goodison.

It was a possibility every season of his tenure. He never had it in him and didn't really care either, looking back!

All about respectable league finishes, which he nearly almost always achieved! It was 2-3 seasons in when he got us 4th.
We aren't going to change each others opinions on this. You've painted him as a villain and its easy to do when United have plummeted and Everton are resurgent. He's soured an awful lot of blues opinion of him but he did a very good job and the football we played was right for the time. We didn't have the luck, we didn't make the luck by playing safe football. But he got us a place near the top. He gave us the platform with which to build upon and do what we are doing now. He won't go down in history as our most successful or our most popular manager but he was important and he turned it round.

Me, for one.

Except I am having trouble remembering what "success" we had during his tenure.

Winning the 4th Place Trophy once and losing an F.A. Cup Final ain't what I call "success".

Nice way to re-write history.

Moyes was an average manager who took over a poor team and improved it.

Well done, Davey.

Joe Royle took over a relegation bound team and not only rescued us but a year later had us parading the Cup round Wembley.

Which all goes to show that keeping a team in the top flight and winning some silverware are not mutually exclusive.

The zenith of Moyes's tenure here was in 2005 when we reached the CL qualifiers with 61 points.

Today we went on to 63 points with six games to go.

Achieved under the auspices of a man who refuses to hide behind lack of transfer funds as an excuse for not putting a venerable club like ours at the top table.

I do not know why people regard the fact that we weren't relegated in the past ten or twelve years as being all down to Moyes and that it passes off as "success".

We have been relegated twice since professional league football in this country was invented.

The last time was before practically every bugger on this forum was born.

Heck, even Mike Walker managed to keep us up in '94 when the game looked up.

In short.....EFC doesn't do relegation.

How will I remember Moyes?

A competent but gray man in a gray era for our beloved club.

A man who didn't know how to make the best of a whole raft of gifted players like Barkley, Mirallas, Coleman, Baines etc.

A man who came to Goodison to do good......but overstayed his usefulness and did very well for himself.

And who screwed us over with the deceitful manner of his leaving.

As ever.....all IMO :)

You've played a stunner there. Not since Jo Guest was on page three were my legs so wobbly. Sadly for all the wrong reasons.
Ask Cardiff and Fulham what success this season is.
re-writing history, "a poor team" - relegation favourites for how many years?
FA cup - Portsmouth, Wigan.
When did Moyes loan Drogba's understudy? The best he could get was Yakubu who went double awol.

The stupidity regarding what we have won and when doesn't cut it, last years league winners are no where near.

Reputation counts for nothing. All sides are only as good as their last game. That is sport.

Moyes sent Barkley out on loan. He signed Mirallas, Coleman, Baines, Martyn, Jagielka, Lescott, Bent, Cahill, Fellaini, Pienaar, Johnson, Distin.
Our club hasn't been the top draw some like to pretend it is currently. Cash capacity and general market are all areas we as Everton lack.
The pain of the fall is tiny compared with the incremental recovering of ground already lost.

No. Never been more against an idea than that. Going hell for leather is great if its a possibility, but hell for leather just for the fun of it is dangerous.

I have had enough of severe beatings under Martinez this season to last me a solid decade.

Never ever ever ever should 4 unfit players
be started and risked just to chase a result. That isn't football, it's suicide. Moyes was much more pragmatic. And I trusted his defensive signings three or four lifetimes more than I do Martinez's.

1. So you'd rather we'd played 4-6-0 against Arsenal today and just scraped a good, solid, workmalike FANTASTIC point
2. We've been thumped twice this season, but one of those was not a reflection of the game. 3-1 away to City isn't a "severe beating" in my book. Not when they're tormenting every team that has the misfortune to face them at the Etihad.
3. Do we have the luxury of depth and choice like City or Spurs? No.
4. Would we have done West Ham away under Moyes, who would undoubtedly have benched Lukaku for at least until the hour once the Hammers were further in front? Would we have done Fulham away or Villa at home after dismal first halves? Not under Moyes.
5. He inherited a good defence, but saw fit to get shut of Heitinga at long last and has brought out the best in Stones and Coleman - Stones just astounds me every week without fail, and Coleman's only rival for POTS is probably McCarthy.

In conclusion, you sir, are a melt! SIN MIEDO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back