Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought lads, great players always decline as they get older, sad fact of life. Actually agree with Dave that Oviedo is currently the better option.

Nothing wrong with Bainsey, He just had a long lay off and is still getting upto speed.

Martinez...

I actually think we've moved on as a team rather than him declining or being injured (though both of which are also possible partial explanations). Baines and Coleman were fundamental for a team that had little going for it as an attacking force through open play. They both had their best form in seasons either side of Moyes' departure and Martinez's arrival. They didn't drop off in form by accident later on at the same time through accident; their style was not needed as much once we got as mobile attacking force together through Barkley/Lukaku/Mirallas/Deulofeu etc. I dont think Baines can re-adapt, though Coleman shows signs of being able to do so.

Baines for me is outmoded.

I actually think we've moved on as a team rather than him declining or being injured (though both of which are also possible partial explanations). Baines and Coleman were fundamental for a team that had little going for it as an attacking force through open play. They both had their best form in seasons either side of Moyes' departure and Martinez's arrival. They didn't drop off in form by accident later on at the same time through accident; their style was not needed as much once we got as mobile attacking force together through Barkley/Lukaku/Mirallas/Deulofeu etc. I dont think Baines can re-adapt, though Coleman shows signs of being able to do so.

Baines for me is outmoded.

I'm not going to write Bainsey off just yet, He's a quality footballer who still has a lot too offer. It is good for him to have competition for his place though and as someone alluded to earlier he is a good pro with a good attitude who will fight for his place without moaning.

I'm not going to write Bainsey off just yet, He's a quality footballer who still has a lot too offer. It is good for him to have competition for his place though and as someone alluded to earlier he is a good pro with a good attitude who will fight for his place without moaning.

Well...it seems to me that Baines' attitude since he came back in has been to finger point a bit. Rather than put his hand up and say what he and the rest of the defence needed to do to turn matters around, there's been some general nonsense concerning better 'game management' (surely the most overused and nauseating phrase of the season?) which was apparently not of his concern, but what others needed to bring to the situation. He abrogated responsibility and gave the press pack what they wanted to hear instead of taking responsibility, as a senior pro should.

'Good lad', 'humble', 'down to earth' etc. Yeah. But I've always thought there was a lack of intensity about him and a tendency to go missing when things went wrong. As said above: I think he's a man out of time here at Everton now, and maybe that encourages him to not identify with what's going on and how it can be changed? To my mind he's got it all to do to get back in the starting XI, and if he does he has to provide the level of defending and all round play Oviedo is displaying.

Well...it seems to me that Baines' attitude since he came back in has been to finger point a bit. Rather than put his hand up and say what he and the rest of the defence needed to do to turn matters around, there's been some general nonsense concerning better 'game management' (surely the most overused and nauseating phrase of the season?) which was apparently not of his concern, but what others needed to bring to the situation. He abrogated responsibility and gave the press pack what they wanted to hear instead of taking responsibility, as a senior pro should.

'Good lad', 'humble', 'down to earth' etc. Yeah. But I've always thought there was a lack of intensity about him and a tendency to go missing when things went wrong. As said above: I think he's a man out of his time here at Everton now, and maybe that encourages him to not identify with what's going on and how it can be changed? To my mind he's got it all to do to get back in the starting XI, and if he does he has to provide the level of defending and all round play Oviedo is displaying.

Martinez though ...

It's obvious if you're an owner: what they see is a manager who has brought into a club a cluster of some of the finest developing talent in European football for pretty much 10 bob in today's terms and coached them to almost perfection.

lollollollollollollol

:pint2::pint2::pint2::pint2:

Stones, Deulofeu, Barkley, Lukaku, Galloway, Besic...probably cost the club £40M for the lot. Now you'd get back if they were sold in today's market about £160M. The value added coming from the coaching of RM and the opportunity he's afforded them to become established PL players.

Chairmen (any chairman of any top flight club in any top European league) will be salivating over that.

Roberto will be much sort after.

It's obvious if you're an owner: what they see is a manager who has brought into a club a cluster of some of the finest developing talent in European football for pretty much 10 bob in today's terms and coached them to almost perfection.

Can I point out that your pal Moyes technically brought in 2 of Martinez's Fab Four?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back