Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he gave him a lot of lattitude. Other managers would have had him out of the team until he learned what was possible to do in different parts of the pitch and what was not possible. There's been a lot of teething problems but now we have a real jewel on our hands who's decision making has been fast tracked through by a manager keeping faith with him.

Did I just imagine him being rotated with Osman and Naismith two seasons ago, then last season being shunted out all over the place before being dropped for utterly rank form?

This is the first season he's started to show real consistency. But yeah I'm sure 5 years ago at 17 he was ready to play every game in his best position, shame on you Moyes.

Barkley would not be half the player he is now under most managers. The patience and trust Martinez has shown in him is phenomenal and that's why he is in this great moment of his career.
Sound.. but Dave recons he bought him and Stones into the club.

...dealing with that in this thread: good read, but a bit behind the curve, imo.

Things change so quickly, and fickle attitudes with it, that if someone has the idea of a piece like that and sits down to write it a week ago the mood can shift to make it look pretty strange, overly gloomy, and less finger on the pulse than the moment they conceived of it.

It's a good article, but one that fails to ring totally true right now....though that could change by Saturday 5pm...such is the volatility of this situation....fingers crossed it looks increasingly finger off the pulse!

...dealing with that in this thread: good read, but a bit behind the curve, imo.

Things change so quickly, and fickle attitudes with it, that if someone has the idea of a piece like that and sits down to write it a week ago the mood can shift to make it look pretty strange, overly gloomy, and less finger on the pulse than the moment they conceived of it.

It's a good article, but one that fails to ring totally true right now....though that could change by Saturday 5pm...such is the volatility of this situation....fingers crossed it looks increasingly finger off the pulse!

Exactly sentiments change so quickly, but I agree with the author's underlying message that RM should get the opportunity to see things out with the core of players he's helped build and develop for at least this season and possibly next season. It's easier to reject the devil that you know for the devil that you don't know. I just worry if RM gets taken out too early, the team would be destabilized and our young core would look to leave. As much as the fans may have turn on Bobby already, I have not seen that from the players, especially the core who I think still view him as the glue. Until the players revolt or show a lack of confidence in Bobby, the best route might be to keep the ship steady sailing forward.

Exactly sentiments change so quickly, but I agree with the author's underlying message that RM should get the opportunity to see things out with the core of players he's helped build and develop for at least this season and possibly next season. It's easier to reject the devil that you know for the devil that you don't know. I just worry if RM gets taken out too early, the team would be destabilized and our young core would look to leave. As much as the fans may have turn on Bobby already, I have not seen that from the players, especially the core who I think still view him as the glue. Until the players revolt or show a lack of confidence in Bobby, the best route might be to keep the ship steady sailing forward.
I see nothing and hear nothing to suggest that these players aren't 100% committed to club and manager for next season at the very least.

Going back to the original article: there's a danger in giving too much emphasis to the online army of lost souls who go berserk and start polling others if an Everton corner fails to clear the first man. They deserve nothing but scorn. There's justified criticism of Martinez to put forward (as with all managers) but the people the author of that article was lampooning are not part of that serious debate and are not worth critiquing.

The other point I think that was raised in the essay that is often overlooked is the fact Martinez is relatively young as a manager himself at the age of 42. Like his players, he's still learning and developing. Hopefully we'll see if he shows progress, learns from past mistakes and can continue to develop as a manager.

A big test for me is whether he keeps Robles in place of Howard or continues to be stubborn about his XI selections and preferred bench players. Also want to see if/when Stones and Baines returns, if the defensive shape and form remains.

An absolute conman. False dawn after false dawn. Anybody foolish enough to think three wins against gash opposition made everything rosy again needs to give their head a shake. It will forever be this way with him in charge. We will get eye catching victories but they will be rare and we will lose far more and to absolute dross like pulis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back