Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the last time I took a look at the rules it said that you get three points for a win away from home as well as those at home. WTF does it matter where they get secured? What you seem to be saying is that if Everton's away form was their home form then the 35 points were on wouldn't be so bad. That's the only conclusion to draw from your emphasis on home games.

I would say it matters quite a bit, Dave.

Myself and almost 40,000 other people pay good dough to go to these home games and, given the choice, I for one would prefer we were winning more matches at home than away as it would send me home a heck of a lot happier than I left the ground on Saturday.

If Bobby wants to keep the critical mass of supporters onside then those supporters are going to want to be seeing more winning performances in front of their own eyes.

Winning a mere four home games at this stage of the season is not a recipe for keeping the natives from being restless.

He could have played two wingers instead of holding midfielders and stretched the game.

He could have instructed the side to play quicker, looking to hit give and go passes off the target man pinned to their centre-halves all game.

Given the lack of threat going the other way, in the last 15 he could have even gone with two wingers and two strikers and took off a full back or centre half.

There were countless things he could have done; he did nothing. All he did was make like for like changes and keep doing the same thing over and over again.

It wasn't "one of those games" - WBA set out to defend, invited us to break them down, and our manager didn't manage the game (yet again) and WBA saw out the result. We did nothing whatsoever to attempt to change the outcome in game.

Well thats football. Imagine it was as easy as making a sub and we win the game. We'd be happy every weekend then. I don't subscribe to that thinking really. Its too easy to highlight changes we could have made to help change the game. Lets say he made those changes and we still lost then we would moan about why he didn't bring different players on instead.

Well thats football. Imagine it was as easy as making a sub and we win the game. We'd be happy every weekend then. I don't subscribe to that thinking really. Its too easy to highlight changes we could have made to help change the game. Lets say he made those changes and we still lost then we would moan about why he didn't bring different players on instead.

Actually no, I wouldn't, at all. If we'd gone for it and lost, I'd applaud the performance as I value those more than results, as good performances mean you're more capable of getting more results in the long run.

What I can't applaud is when a manager must see something is wrong and does absolutely nothing to address it. I'd rather see a failed attempt to manage a game than no attempt.

Jimmy I suggest you read Eggs post on the Everton v West Brom thread.

Leicester play hoofball. They have four grocks at the back who just shovel it out of the area. We are trying to play football. Those four you mention are woeful. Robert Huth? FFS. Is that the type of zombie you wat to see in an Everton shirt?

They are a bog standard unit that wouldn't work in our set up. Any ale house team manager can set up Leicester's back four given the basic way they play football from back to front in a hurry.

LOL ....no of course I would not like to see Huth in an Everton shirt. Again, an attempt to derail the debate with a wild "Mike Parry like" statement to get away from what we are talking about.

The point i was making was that any decent manager worth his salt can organise a defence to be tight and doesn't need world beaters in there to do so, which is a point you made in your previous post.

As for the comments that follow, your clear lack of understanding in the basics of the game is very evident at times. Almost like the ultimate arm chair fan with the strongest opinions. Ale house team, top of the league lol I think it is silly of you to even try to suggest you know what would work in our set up, you haven't got the first iota of understanding the game from these comments.

Leicester are now approaching a full season of very outstanding form, from the end of February onwards to now. whereas, we are in massive decline! that is a fact my dear friend and one you would do well to take notice of, save you coming across a bit daft sometimes.

Yet it's working, isn't it? Because they have a manager who has allowed them to play in the way they are comfortable in order to compete, and allows them to exploit weaknesses in an opposition from game to game.

Our manager, on the other hand, continues to shoehorn a failing strategy on a team every week that is proven over the course of two years now to not get results.

It's pragmatism winning over idealism. We have the better players, we get the poorer performances. Where does the buck stop for that do you think?
Davek's insight into football is summed up in a post he put up at Christmas which said Leicester would fall away. They are still top of the league and nailed on to be playing champions league next year. How wrong can one person be

So how many more home losses or defeats from winning positions do we have to suffer before the pro-brown shoes brigade accept he is not up to the job. After nearly two years of rinse and repeat performances with poor tactical decisions and outcomes it seems to me he is not the man to take Everton forward.

I would say another 2 seasons. I would also say he has already taken us forward. We are now a club that is putting emphasis on Football so that to me is a giant step forward.

Davek's insight into football is summed up in a post he put up at Christmas which said Leicester would fall away. They are still top of the league and nailed on to be playing champions league next year. How wrong can one person be
To be fair I also thought they'd fall away as many others thought as well.
How wrong I was but I am cheering them on now.

I would say another 2 seasons. I would also say he has already taken us forward. We are now a club that is putting emphasis on Football so that to me is a giant step forward.

So it's pretty football at the expense of results for you then? At least you are honest and nailed your colours to the mast.

Football is a results based industry though, so your suggestion of another 2 years of these kind of results and form just won't hold any sway. The better players will leave and he will get potted, surely you must know that?

Actually no, I wouldn't, at all. If we'd gone for it and lost, I'd applaud the performance as I value those more than results, as good performances mean you're more capable of getting more results in the long run.

What I can't applaud is when a manager must see something is wrong and does absolutely nothing to address it. I'd rather see a failed attempt to manage a game than no attempt.

I would argue that Saturday wasn't that bad of a performance overall. We dominated and restricted them to one attempt on target. We jus couldn't break them down. Even the best teams in the land are susceptible to results like Saturday. Don't get me wrong I'm unhappy with Martinez but more for the stoke, bournmouth, Swansea, city away (cup) games. Those are games I feel he just got it all wrong.

Saturday was depressing but we actually played well, and probably deserved more. It was just one of those I thought.

There have been times this season we've chucked away leads we've created with nice attacking. If we could hold a lead like w brom did on Saturday we'd have another 8 points at the very least.

Still a lot of points up for grabs mate.

Deffo not nailed on.

yawn

Dave, and pretty much everyone else, both fans and pundits alike, predicted Leicester would fall away from their lofty perch. To use that as a yardstick to judge anybody's 'football knowledge' is pathetic. And you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back