Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's pretty football at the expense of results for you then? At least you are honest and nailed your colours to the mast.

Football is a results based industry though, so your suggestion of another 2 years of these kind of results and form just won't hold any sway. The better players will leave and he will get potted, surely you must know that?

Nope what I am saying is the pretty football is the start and will be a catalyst of better things. The WBA way or dare I say the David Moyes way isn't/wasn't the way to progress and move a whole club forward. RM's style has a way that if he finds the correct balance we can challenge the top 4. We couldn't do that if we decided to play negatively and held on to what may be a lucky lead. In most of our games this season we have no doubt been the better team so that is one box ticked and now we have to tick another box which we haven't yet done so. All I look at is 1). Is our footy good....Yes very good. 2) Can we score goals regular....Yes we can. 3) Have we a mean defence....No we haven't. Still a work in progress but we all know that if he succeeds in making our defence more solid then we will have a great team. He has already succeeded in the harder job of scoring goals on a regular basis. I just don't want to go back to the nicking wins by defending resolute every game but know that it is not a fomula for challenging the top 4 in other words doing a WBA but on a slightly better level. Sod that.

yawn

Dave, and pretty much everyone else, both fans and pundits alike, predicted Leicester would fall away from their lofty perch. To use that as a yardstick to judge anybody's 'football knowledge' is pathetic. And you know it.
To make the assumption that Leicester would fall away you should have some evidence to back it up before you go public with it. Ranieri is a proven manager.

I would say another 2 seasons. I would also say he has already taken us forward. We are now a club that is putting emphasis on Football so that to me is a giant step forward.

So it's pretty football at the expense of results for you then? At least you are honest and nailed your colours to the mast.

Football is a results based industry though, so your suggestion of another 2 years of these kind of results and form just won't hold any sway. The better players will leave and he will get potted, surely you must know that?
Don't understand why people do this. Someone says the emphasis is on playing football. Someone else says.. so you want football over results. Clearly he didn't say that.
If people want Martinez to fail so they can say they were right all along then fair enough. But I want this to work. At some point I may be convinced it never will but I'd rather it wasn't aborted because some fans become obsessed.
There has been a feeling amongst many people that since the 80s we have put effective football over style. And at times it's been unwatchable. And guess what, it's mainly got us nowhere as well.
After thirty years of nothing but pragmatism I'm more than prepared to wait for something better. Yes I want to see them winning but I also want to walk into Goodison thinking something special could happen. Martinez has brought players to the club who make me think that might happen. And we appear to have a more progressive youth policy.
So he was a long way from my first choice for the job but I think we could be on the right lines and I'd rather not see that change.

All I know is I actually look forward to watching us every week, which wasn´t the case for many many years apart from a couple of seasons or a few bright patches here or there. As frustrating as we are now results wise I appreciate the change he has made to how we play, and am fine with giving him more time barring impending disaster as you can see that if it does click and we get the defense in hand then it all looks very promising. Those supporting the manager might be wrong in the end, but none of us know for sure and I see enough positives to keep patience with what he is trying.

I don´t buy into this worrying about players leaving as a reason for getting rid now. We will always be in danger of losing our best players for big money. The managers record spending on new transfers is pretty good so far so I do not share that worry that we cannot continue building a good first XI and squad even if key players have to be sold. Finally, we were atrocious last year and didn´t lose any of our main players.

Also whilst football may be seen as an industry now by some fans and some in the game, there are also many many people inside and outside who see it as much more and do not savour the result over everything else. If you offered me Moyes back now with a guaranteed 5th place finish for this and the next few seasons I would still stick with Martinez because I want to see us try to control a game and focus on an attack. Even if one way would be almost certain to get us more results, short term at least.

I think at this point really though that people on both sides of the fence can nearly back off arguing on this as even though I am fully behind the manager I can of course see why the last season and a half would make some think we need a change. And likewise those who want him out should also be able to see the positives in his work here that make the others happy with giving him more time.

To make the assumption that Leicester would fall away you should have some evidence to back it up before you go public with it. Ranieri is a proven manager.
Would that be the same Ranieri who has bombed in each of his last 7 jobs?
Valencia- sacked
Parma - sacked
Juventus - sacked
Roma - sacked
Inter - sacked
Monaco - sacked
Greece - sacked.

top banana

yawn

Dave, and pretty much everyone else, both fans and pundits alike, predicted Leicester would fall away from their lofty perch. To use that as a yardstick to judge anybody's 'football knowledge' is pathetic. And you know it.
Would you like to highlight some of the posts that said Leicester would fall away. Many may of asked the question, However Davek choose to open his mouth and put his big foot in it.

Ranieri was sacked by Greece for losing an actual real game of football against the Faroe Islands.

I could knock on a few doors in my road and get a few fellas together who could give the Faroe Islands a good game.

Would that be the same Ranieri who has bombed in each of his last 7 jobs?
Valencia- sacked
Parma - sacked
Juventus - sacked
Roma - sacked
Inter - sacked
Monaco - sacked
Greece - sacked.

top banana
He was also sacked by Chelsea. Remind me where they were in the prem. when he got the boot

Ranieri was sacked by Greece for losing an actual real game of football against the Faroe Islands.

I could knock on a few doors in my road and get a few fellas together who could give the Faroe Islands a good game.
Well that is Greece's loss as he is sat at the top of the prem as we speak

Nope what I am saying is the pretty football is the start and will be a catalyst of better things. The WBA way or dare I say the David Moyes way isn't/wasn't the way to progress and move a whole club forward. RM's style has a way that if he finds the correct balance we can challenge the top 4. We couldn't do that if we decided to play negatively and held on to what may be a lucky lead. In most of our games this season we have no doubt been the better team so that is one box ticked and now we have to tick another box which we haven't yet done so. All I look at is 1). Is our footy good....Yes very good. 2) Can we score goals regular....Yes we can. 3) Have we a mean defence....No we haven't. Still a work in progress but we all know that if he succeeds in making our defence more solid then we will have a great team. He has already succeeded in the harder job of scoring goals on a regular basis. I just don't want to go back to the nicking wins by defending resolute every game but know that it is not a fomula for challenging the top 4 in other words doing a WBA but on a slightly better level. Sod that.

I think when your top players are coming out and questioning game management as Lukaku did last week, it's obvious Martinez is massively flawed.

I would prefer a more pragmatic manager who can see the balance between attack and defence needing to be addressed and take care of it. he seems to be of one mind set and that clearly isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back