Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understand why people do this. Someone says the emphasis is on playing football. Someone else says.. so you want football over results. Clearly he didn't say that.
If people want Martinez to fail so they can say they were right all along then fair enough. But I want this to work. At some point I may be convinced it never will but I'd rather it wasn't aborted because some fans become obsessed.
There has been a feeling amongst many people that since the 80s we have put effective football over style. And at times it's been unwatchable. And guess what, it's mainly got us nowhere as well.
After thirty years of nothing but pragmatism I'm more than prepared to wait for something better. Yes I want to see them winning but I also want to walk into Goodison thinking something special could happen. Martinez has brought players to the club who make me think that might happen. And we appear to have a more progressive youth policy.
So he was a long way from my first choice for the job but I think we could be on the right lines and I'd rather not see that change.

He was actually my first choice for the job and I was delighted when he was appointed. However, I am now convinced that it is not working and I hope he can prove me to think otherwise, I just see little ovidence of that happening.

I don't want Everton to be sat in mid table making the same excuses week after week for not getting a result, I'd rather they actually got the results.

Nope what I am saying is the pretty football is the start and will be a catalyst of better things. The WBA way or dare I say the David Moyes way isn't/wasn't the way to progress and move a whole club forward. RM's style has a way that if he finds the correct balance we can challenge the top 4. We couldn't do that if we decided to play negatively and held on to what may be a lucky lead. In most of our games this season we have no doubt been the better team so that is one box ticked and now we have to tick another box which we haven't yet done so. All I look at is 1). Is our footy good....Yes very good. 2) Can we score goals regular....Yes we can. 3) Have we a mean defence....No we haven't. Still a work in progress but we all know that if he succeeds in making our defence more solid then we will have a great team. He has already succeeded in the harder job of scoring goals on a regular basis. I just don't want to go back to the nicking wins by defending resolute every game but know that it is not a fomula for challenging the top 4 in other words doing a WBA but on a slightly better level. Sod that.
This all day for me.
Some people wanting Moyes back on the basis of the 'stability' he brought us. 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th in his first 4 seasons. Any stability he brought was from his 5th season onwards.
Martinez is definitely progressing. Last season we were sterile for large parts. This season people are claiming it's like last season but we definitely play at a better tempo. Shown by the number of goals we score.
I'm not saying he's perfect. I disagree with a lot of his decisions but I defo think we're on the right track and Martinez deserves a couple of seasons more. I look foreward to our matches more than I ever did with Moyes.

He was actually my first choice for the job and I was delighted when he was appointed. However, I am now convinced that it is not working and I hope he can prove me to think otherwise, I just see little ovidence of that happening.

I don't want Everton to be sat in mid table making the same excuses week after week for not getting a result, I'd rather they actually got the results.
Sometimes there are excuses and reasons though. And luck plays a part season after season. We've tightened up and we've varied our play. It just wasn't enough on Saturday, and a big chunk of that was bad luck. It was also, of course that maybe the squad still needs variety.
Leicester are a model of pragmatism but they've been very lucky with injuries and teams not adapting to the way they play. It'll be good to see them achieve something but they've not come up with some magic formula. Their manager was considered a liability elsewhere. If they've got sense they'll stick with him if they slump next season.

Jammy season injury wise, a freak season by a hard working striker.. Vardy.
And more pennos than any other side.

Leicester are two Bob and it wont last.
I think they deserve to be top at the moment.
Just a pity coco can't understand what to do to get the best out of our players.
I mean 4 home wins in 10 months disgraceful

Can't really see what is going to happen to change the predictable style of play, tactics and outcomes - particularly at home. Some on GOT seem to have a sort of blind faith that RM is somehow going to do something magical to change things around but without any evidence. Suggesting we have the best squad since god knows when isn't enough because they clearly aren't in terms of consistent performance. Two title challenging teams have just gone to City and come away with three points. We couldn't hold on to a 3 -1 advantage. The stats speak for themselves and four home wins is just not good enough. I can't see what RM is going to do between now and the end of the season to bring about such a drastic change in results. So if we come a cropper at Bournemouth then the season is finished with 12 games to go. Whichever way you look at it it's not good enough. If we beat Bournemouth then we are papering over the cracks and getting distracted by a cup run which will probably end in tears anyway.

Can't really see what is going to happen to change the predictable style of play, tactics and outcomes - particularly at home. Some on GOT seem to have a sort of blind faith that RM is somehow going to do something magical to change things around but without any evidence. Suggesting we have the best squad since god knows when isn't enough because they clearly aren't in terms of consistent performance. Two title challenging teams have just gone to City and come away with three points. We couldn't hold on to a 3 -1 advantage. The stats speak for themselves and four home wins is just not good enough. I can't see what RM is going to do between now and the end of the season to bring about such a drastic change in results. So if we come a cropper at Bournemouth then the season is finished with 12 games to go. Whichever way you look at it it's not good enough. If we beat Bournemouth then we are papering over the cracks and getting distracted by a cup run which will probably end in tears anyway.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't then?!

Nope what I am saying is the pretty football is the start and will be a catalyst of better things. The WBA way or dare I say the David Moyes way isn't/wasn't the way to progress and move a whole club forward. RM's style has a way that if he finds the correct balance we can challenge the top 4. We couldn't do that if we decided to play negatively and held on to what may be a lucky lead. In most of our games this season we have no doubt been the better team so that is one box ticked and now we have to tick another box which we haven't yet done so. All I look at is 1). Is our footy good....Yes very good. 2) Can we score goals regular....Yes we can. 3) Have we a mean defence....No we haven't. Still a work in progress but we all know that if he succeeds in making our defence more solid then we will have a great team. He has already succeeded in the harder job of scoring goals on a regular basis. I just don't want to go back to the nicking wins by defending resolute every game but know that it is not a fomula for challenging the top 4 in other words doing a WBA but on a slightly better level. Sod that.
This all day for me.
Some people wanting Moyes back on the basis of the 'stability' he brought us. 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th in his first 4 seasons. Any stability he brought was from his 5th season onwards.
Martinez is definitely progressing. Last season we were sterile for large parts. This season people are claiming it's like last season but we definitely play at a better tempo. Shown by the number of goals we score.
I'm not saying he's perfect. I disagree with a lot of his decisions but I defo think we're on the right track and Martinez deserves a couple of seasons more. I look foreward to our matches more than I ever did with Moyes.
7 defeats (6 at home) in 26 this season. Not great but hardly terrible is it. The home form and failure to turn those draws v Norwich Bournemouth and Chelsea into wins. sums up the season so far. This talented squad and the manager can do and must do better on a more consistent basis.

The prem has been quite refreshing this season, the RS look lost, Chelsea and Man U woes, there has been much to enjoy but our up and down form, in a season when we could've had a chance, is utterly depressing. We have a man at the helm who doesn't seem able to take control of situations, the Baggies are a case in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back