Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He never finished above the bottom 6 I think. And yes that's Wigan, OK, but they were actually showing some promise when they came up with Paul Jewell and then Steve Bruce.
I still can't quite understand how loads of us got taken in so easily(myself included)...thinking he could, with our better player's get us flying up the league:blush::blush::blush:
Fair play to the people who called him out from the start by the way....Doff's cap:bye:
I suppose under all those years listening to dull Moyes got us all wet & creamy when el Fraudo took over & started spurting positive stuff!!!
Hopefully one thing this has taught some of us (again myself included) is that...this time whether tomorrow, after the semi or at the end of the season....this time we need to employ a proven winner!!!

I don't see any real point in sacking him before the end of the season. It won't achieve anything, imo. We should wait until the end of the season.
Really??? Well he should have been sacked weeks ago and the point was this we'd of had a better chance of winning a trophy for the first time in 21 years.

Last edited:
I recognise the point you and others are making, especially the bit about the bad atmosphere, so maybe it does make sense to sack him before the season ends. I'm just not sure having no manager at all is a great option either.
How can it harm? We'll not be organised? We won't win games? We will look directionless and show no effort or passion? We will not know how to position ourselves for crosses and set pieces?
As I said before- I will not set foot in Goodison till he's gone. I've never felt like that with a previous manager. We are in relegation form with 3/4 of an England backline, and one of the hottest young striking talents in world football. He simply cannot be allowed to leave his losing cowardly stench on this team for the preseason. If he cannot get his first team motivated for a derby what chance do we have?

The thing is, as much as you can criticise the players tonight, and they do carry blame, it's been said for weeks that they can't work miracles here.

Lukaku had no support all game again. All he could do is win long balls but half the time no one was near him. Our wingers and am start in their own half constantly, so have to cover 30 40 yards every time we attack, so when it breaks down its because there is too many men behind the ball. When we do break, the two men behind them are nowhere to be seen, and when they are it's to pass the ball near the half way line.

Our full backs have no cover going forward, and no cover when they are back. Our centre halves have no cover when defending a flat defence because neither holding midfielder are supporting them in there. Not only that but there is no defensive lines in there either everyone just seems to cover the space they are near like we don't practice that. We don't practice set pieces or crosses, we don't play to our strikers strengths and the midfield always seems to be 30 yards away from each other whenever it matters.

The way the team play is a joke, it holds the players back from actually performing because even if they actually turn up to try like it looked tonight they are left so exposed and clueless as to what is going on that we have to rely on the other team being poor to not get beat.
How many times did an RS players pick the ball up 25-30 yards from our goal and not one of our players near them?. It's like we got a flat back 8 when we defend it's ridiculous.

Not so much as a supporter, but we have semi appearance, it would be daft to get rid at this point and if by some miracle it all slots together and we go onto lift the cup, its phase one complete etc. Though he was always going to get caught out for depth for CBs. However, if we capitulate again he should go Saturday evening.
You've just literally said it would be a miracle for it to come together? Phase one of what?

The worst thing about this result, is that we all knew that I was coming.

True, but I never expected a performance like that in a derby. That's the shocking aspect which proves that he's lost virtually everything around him.

Never I witnessed such a gutless display in such a big game.

I'm upset more than fume, proper sick at the lacklustre effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back