Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cant understand why people or so anti Moyes...he did a good job here for 10 years with shoestring resources. getting us to champions league with Marcus Bent up front has to be up there in terms of achievements. I know his football was dire at times but he adapted to the players he had in order to win football matches. i actually thought near the end the team started playing some decent football with coleman and baines down the flanks...better than the tippy tappy go nowhere stuff we've seen this last couple of seasons. On top of that he seemed to have the respect of the players - i cant remember too many speaking negative about him even when he did leave.

i think the negative opinion of him is more from his actions after he left - but he was manager of another club then and lets face it he gave us an absolute gift by paying 28 mil for Fellaini.

Looking whats out there in terms of managers we could end up with a lot worse.

Still here?. Ah well it's only a matter of time and there's plenty to look forward to. The excitement of a new manager, warchest being spunked on some boss players, The Euros coming up. We've been through the mire alright buts it's all downhill from here on.

Unless we Everton the whole thing which is also a possibility.

The manager appointment will set the tone.

If we fail to beat Bournemouth, I think he'll be gone

I'm pretty sure he's gone before then! There's no way Moshiri and to a far far lesser extent BK want protests at Goodison on Saturday! Whether it be planes, banners, tennis balls, hankies etc etc, Mr M will not want that being all over Sky Sports on Saturday afternoon! Get rid of Martinez, temporary man in charge Unsworth, or Sheedy, play a few of the U21's who deserve the chance - Dowell, Connolly, or Davies and you've got the crowd immediately back on side! Sorted!

cant understand why people or so anti Moyes...he did a good job here for 10 years with shoestring resources. getting us to champions league with Marcus Bent up front has to be up there in terms of achievements. I know his football was dire at times but he adapted to the players he had in order to win football matches. i actually thought near the end the team started playing some decent football with coleman and baines down the flanks...better than the tippy tappy go nowhere stuff we've seen this last couple of seasons. On top of that he seemed to have the respect of the players - i cant remember too many speaking negative about him even when he did leave.

i think the negative opinion of him is more from his actions after he left - but he was manager of another club then and lets face it he gave us an absolute gift by paying 28 mil for Fellaini.

Looking whats out there in terms of managers we could end up with a lot worse.

the fact he thought signing fellaini for them was a good idea should tell you all you need about why we dont want him anywhere near the club again.

the fact he thought signing fellaini for them was a good idea should tell you all you need about why we dont want him anywhere near the club again.

He was forced into that cos he didn't get any of his other targets - fabregas, hierria where his first choice. if he really wanted him he woulda got him before his buyout clause expired for alot less

Thanks for the updates mate. I think in situations like this we as fans do have to be a little patient. What seems a long time to us is quite a short time for the board/owners.

Martinez described it s a defining week. That is understandable and having made the decision to stick with him they ere never going to bolt half way through. Alongside this there will need to be a discussion, at the board meeting. For a fan an additional couple of days seems like torture, but if you are looking to get rid of someone (or keep them) an additional day or 2 makes very little difference. Whatever the feelings are they will go through them in a realistic time frame and not be dictated to by the somewhat bi-polar misery of internet football fans.

I wonder if the will wait until they have an appointment ready, or whether they will put someone I temporary charge. If it was someone out of work (Mourinho, Bielsa, Moyes) then we could move tomorrow. However if it were a manager like De Boer, Emery, Tuchel or even Pelligrini you can't help but think they would only move at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see if they wait.

I am not in the least bit worried. It's clear the guys expectations are high. These games are irrelevant now. Whether Martinez goes no or t the end of the season makes little difference.
Well articulated post catcher. I agree with your sentiments.
What we are all presently subjecting ourselves to herein is largely (and please forgive me my employing GOT vernacular ) : "pfft... echo chamber"

Where did it all go wrong for Martinez?

I believe it went wrong the minute Aguero scored past us back in January to knock us out the league cup. See up until that point there was the huge list of reasons as to why we were not doing better, and there was plenty of ground to build a half successful season on still. When ross scored it looked all done and dusted, finally getting through to the final and potentially our first trophy in 21 years, Martinez delivering on his reputation as a cup winner. 70 minutes later, there was heartbreak and bickering between fans.

I believe that was the end for the manager, it started the rot which has led us to here. We got a bit of luck with the newcastle and villa games not long after that, to bounce back from a terrible defeat against swansea. Beating stoke either side of FA cup wins as well was again a platform to start from, then all the issues from 2 months before that were ignored came flooding back in style. Loss after loss, draw after draw, out the cup again though the same league problems, as we did in january and we find ourselves nowhere again, needing some sort of direction that doesn't involve struggling to keep our heads above the water line.

But the reason why i highlight the man city game as being the trigger point for all of this is simple, that was the game where the players saw that despite everything the manager told them it just didn't work. They were so close to the final, had done magnificently to get to that position 3-1 up and then following the instructions of their manager then watched it thrown away. that is when the poor performances started, only broken up by 2 relegated teams and a stoke win , which by all accounts was the tactics working against someone.

Worst home record in history, no trophies, 3 wins in 16 games stretching back to christmas, the warning signs were there all along, sadly for everyone involved we chose to ignore them until it was too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back