Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is gone. Simply as that. There has even been no support coming from the club. It's just silence. IMO.
The club will not do anything to take away from the Hillsborough verdict due today. The compo probably won't be a big stumbling block. Depends what's in the contract. Could be many different get out clauses and worst case scenario is they remove him from his duties and just pay him his salary every month until the contract is up but he remains an employee but cannot work for anyone else. This is not the best outcome for all parties. More than likely though an agreement will be reached or has been. And as every Everton fan knows we take an AGE to do anything. So I would expect to hear nothing official until late tomorrow evening or early Thursday.

Where did it all go wrong for Martinez?

I believe it went wrong the minute Aguero scored past us back in January to knock us out the league cup. See up until that point there was the huge list of reasons as to why we were not doing better, and there was plenty of ground to build a half successful season on still. When ross scored it looked all done and dusted, finally getting through to the final and potentially our first trophy in 21 years, Martinez delivering on his reputation as a cup winner. 70 minutes later, there was heartbreak and bickering between fans.

I believe that was the end for the manager, it started the rot which has led us to here. We got a bit of luck with the newcastle and villa games not long after that, to bounce back from a terrible defeat against swansea. Beating stoke either side of FA cup wins as well was again a platform to start from, then all the issues from 2 months before that were ignored came flooding back in style. Loss after loss, draw after draw, out the cup again though the same league problems, as we did in january and we find ourselves nowhere again, needing some sort of direction that doesn't involve struggling to keep our heads above the water line.

But the reason why i highlight the man city game as being the trigger point for all of this is simple, that was the game where the players saw that despite everything the manager told them it just didn't work. They were so close to the final, had done magnificently to get to that position 3-1 up and then following the instructions of their manager then watched it thrown away. that is when the poor performances started, only broken up by 2 relegated teams and a stoke win , which by all accounts was the tactics working against someone.

Worst home record in history, no trophies, 3 wins in 16 games stretching back to christmas, the warning signs were there all along, sadly for everyone involved we chose to ignore them until it was too late.

The rot started last season, this season was the final nails in the coffin though from my perspective. I was willing to accept last season was a blip, however it turns out his first season is the anomaly.

From the LC semi its been terrible, the Arsenal game, the Derby, the FA Cup semi first half... couple them performances with everything else its just not good enough at all. I do believe the final nail has gone in, and we are just waiting to announce it or sort out the severance package.

And if he's still here Vs Norwich for the last game...even if it's in name only/deadman walking, this lap of (dis)honour would be toxic especially if there's kids involved.

#can nobody rid me of this turbulent priest.
getting rid now will be saving him a lot of abuse
Why? What possible difference could that result make to his suitability to be manager?

If he's not gone by now, that result and none after it will make any difference, as the board will have made their position (and shocking incompetence and disregard for the fans) perfectly clear.
totally agree. The fraud just lost our two biggest matches of the season. A total humiliation at the hands of our rivals - on TV for the whole world to see and losing the best chance we've had at winning some silverware in 20 years, especially given the opposition that would have been awaiting us. if last week wasn't the straw that broke the camel's (minus Kone) back i doubt losing to Bournemouth will make much difference.

I believe it went wrong the minute Aguero scored past us back in January to knock us out the league cup. See up until that point there was the huge list of reasons as to why we were not doing better, and there was plenty of ground to build a half successful season on still. When ross scored it looked all done and dusted, finally getting through to the final and potentially our first trophy in 21 years, Martinez delivering on his reputation as a cup winner. 70 minutes later, there was heartbreak and bickering between fans.

I believe that was the end for the manager, it started the rot which has led us to here. We got a bit of luck with the newcastle and villa games not long after that, to bounce back from a terrible defeat against swansea. Beating stoke either side of FA cup wins as well was again a platform to start from, then all the issues from 2 months before that were ignored came flooding back in style. Loss after loss, draw after draw, out the cup again though the same league problems, as we did in january and we find ourselves nowhere again, needing some sort of direction that doesn't involve struggling to keep our heads above the water line.

But the reason why i highlight the man city game as being the trigger point for all of this is simple, that was the game where the players saw that despite everything the manager told them it just didn't work. They were so close to the final, had done magnificently to get to that position 3-1 up and then following the instructions of their manager then watched it thrown away. that is when the poor performances started, only broken up by 2 relegated teams and a stoke win , which by all accounts was the tactics working against someone.

Worst home record in history, no trophies, 3 wins in 16 games stretching back to christmas, the warning signs were there all along, sadly for everyone involved we chose to ignore them until it was too late.

It went wrong when he dropped Deulofeu for Lennon in my opinion. Ged was on fire, 9 assists couple of goals.
Lennon had a good game but the team suffered

The rot started last season, this season was the final nails in the coffin though from my perspective. I was willing to accept last season was a blip, however it turns out his first season is the anomaly.

From the LC semi its been terrible, the Arsenal game, the Derby, the FA Cup semi first half... couple them performances with everything else its just not good enough at all. I do believe the final nail has gone in, and we are just waiting to announce it or sort out the severance package.
Thing is though, last season was a hugely different ball game. Granted going on that write up from last night, the facebook post one, there were issues already happening there and perhaps it all was inevitable. but we started the season playing wise with a bang, we discarded the horrible tactics from last year and players like ross, rom, del to name a few looked to be on course for a great season.

Sadly by november we saw exactly why the attack was looking so good under roberto, he has ripped the floor boards up to build a nice ceiling.

It went wrong when he dropped Deulofeu for Lennon in my opinion. Ged was on fire, 9 assists couple of goals.
Lennon had a good game but the team suffered

the del thing is a mystery to me i must admit. A player who was delivering far beyond expectations just dropped and didn't come back again. Lennon has been in the team on merit sure, but del was creating for the striker.

Like the barry question i pondered last week, what does lennon do? Because Del created for lukaku, lennon comes in and during his run of games rom stops scoring, funny that?

The manager appointment will set the tone.
True but I've put too much negative energy into Bobby already and with so much to look forward to and my desires not going to change a damn thing I'm gonna trust in Moshy that he has a plan.

This.....he needs to win stuff in the game, Rangers fan when he was a kid though, that could cause him problems up there.

I shouldn't think so.

Sure he played for Celtic.

As did one of Celtic's all time idols whom also grew up a Rangers fan.....Kenny Dalglish.

the del thing is a mystery to me i must admit. A player who was delivering far beyond expectations just dropped and didn't come back again. Lennon has been in the team on merit sure, but del was creating for the striker.

Like the barry question i pondered last week, what does lennon do? Because Del created for lukaku, lennon comes in and during his run of games rom stops scoring, funny that?
conspiracy theory alert - could it have been a decision by the manager to lower the profile of Del? whilst he was fire there was a lot of talk in the media of Barca coming back in for him in the summer. If he isn't playing he's not grabbing the headlines. stranger things have happened in football

Where did it go wrong?
If you ask me it started at the very beginning of last season, where we hammered Arsenal and Leicester but bottled it in the last 10 minutes.
Then when we collapsed against Chelsea.
Mentally we never recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back