Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the del thing is a mystery to me i must admit. A player who was delivering far beyond expectations just dropped and didn't come back again. Lennon has been in the team on merit sure, but del was creating for the striker.

Like the barry question i pondered last week, what does lennon do? Because Del created for lukaku, lennon comes in and during his run of games rom stops scoring, funny that?

It’s because he doesn’t know how to fix the defence. He did the same last season, he filled the side with defensive minded players in the hope that the work rate and mind-set would make us better defensively and it didn’t work. Then last season he tried to change the system and that flooded the midfield, but that didn’t work and only served to hinder our attack. He dropped Deulofeu cos we were leaking goals and he thought Lennon’s defensive work-rate could help us out there.

This season he just went for it in attack and ignored the defence. That can only work for so long, because if you’re scoring 3 goals and still not winning games, it puts an awful lot of pressure on the attack and can create divisions within the side. Confidence won’t last because players are scared to lose the ball or make runs for fear of losing a goal if they do. That’s what happened and we said it would as far back as last season. He should have gone Christmas 2014 cos it was obvious then he didn’t know how to fix it.

Your analogy is spot on - he ripped up the floorboards to build a ceiling, and that is essentially his managerial style, he’s not a good attacking coach he just neglects the defence to flood the attack. It’s easy on the eye for highlight shows and if he comes out and tells people that we were unlucky if it goes wrong and we controlled the game, then many people will just go with that without questioning it. By his own admission he doesn’t work on defending as a team, he instead expects the senior defenders to organise it on the pitch, which is so amateur it’s almost laughable.

The sooner he is gone the sooner the fan base can come back together, cos I’ve not see the atmosphere so toxic as it is now.

Im considering and hear me out on this !, banging a wedge on him being here next season (currently @4/1). If i lose my stake (hope i do,obviously) then thats money well spent. If he stays then the winnings go towards a 'get away in May 2017 from imminent relegation fund '

I am failing to see how losing your dough in the event of Bobby getting fired is "money well spent".

Losing money on a bet is just about the furthest away from well spent money that I can think off :Blink:

Especially when you freely admit to wanting to lose the bet.

Keep your money in your pocket.....there is zero chance of Bobby starting next season here ;)

Where did it all go wrong for Martinez?

I believe it went wrong the minute Aguero scored past us back in January to knock us out the league cup. See up until that point there was the huge list of reasons as to why we were not doing better, and there was plenty of ground to build a half successful season on still. When ross scored it looked all done and dusted, finally getting through to the final and potentially our first trophy in 21 years, Martinez delivering on his reputation as a cup winner. 70 minutes later, there was heartbreak and bickering between fans.

I believe that was the end for the manager, it started the rot which has led us to here. We got a bit of luck with the newcastle and villa games not long after that, to bounce back from a terrible defeat against swansea. Beating stoke either side of FA cup wins as well was again a platform to start from, then all the issues from 2 months before that were ignored came flooding back in style. Loss after loss, draw after draw, out the cup again though the same league problems, as we did in january and we find ourselves nowhere again, needing some sort of direction that doesn't involve struggling to keep our heads above the water line.

But the reason why i highlight the man city game as being the trigger point for all of this is simple, that was the game where the players saw that despite everything the manager told them it just didn't work. They were so close to the final, had done magnificently to get to that position 3-1 up and then following the instructions of their manager then watched it thrown away. that is when the poor performances started, only broken up by 2 relegated teams and a stoke win , which by all accounts was the tactics working against someone.

Worst home record in history, no trophies, 3 wins in 16 games stretching back to christmas, the warning signs were there all along, sadly for everyone involved we chose to ignore them until it was too late.

Everton 3 Chelsea 6 was the end of the attacking side of Martinez.

Where did it go wrong?
If you ask me it started at the very beginning of last season, where we hammered Arsenal and Leicester but bottled it in the last 10 minutes.
Then when we collapsed against Chelsea.
Mentally we never recovered.

For me it was the Arsenal game. Should never have lost that, when we did we should have learned a few stern lessons. Nothing was learned, we've never really recovered and are still watching the same rubbish over a year and a half later.

For me it was the Arsenal game. Should never have lost that, when we did we should have learned a few stern lessons. Nothing was learned, we've never really recovered and are still watching the same rubbish over a year and a half later.
I'd say it was following the 3-0 against Arsenal the season before. Pole position for 4th spot, then lost 2-3 at home to Palace. Our form has been generally poor for 2 years.

The other question is really, when did the players lose faith? The easy answer is west ham but for a lot of them, the bad results came long before that.

I believe lukaku's head was turned against stoke in december, but for the more senior players, the bad results continuing a year later can't have been ignored.

Where did it go wrong?
If you ask me it started at the very beginning of last season, where we hammered Arsenal and Leicester but bottled it in the last 10 minutes.
Then when we collapsed against Chelsea.
Mentally we never recovered.
And why did we bottle it? Because we were so blatantly unfit because of a shambles of a pre-season. But nooooooo, anyone who said pre-season was awful was labelled a scaremonger or being completely over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back