Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What all of them?

I'll be here some time.

What do you want managers who we might be able to attract? or those who simply would have done better with the squad we have at the club at present?

Come off it Dave, he's flopped this season, same as he flopped last season, barring the oil clubs and United, virtually every manager in the division would have given their eye teeth for the squad he's had at his disposal this season, and he's delivered the square root of jack with it in the league. He's therefore failed in his prime objective.
There's loads...but you don't name one.

Sound.

I wanted to give him time, the defending has got better since Jags has been back, but the plotters are frying my brain, I can't argue against some of their points.

If I look at the last 2 seasons it's been poor bordering on a disaster, look at the squad we have, this season, top 6 is bare minimum with this lot.

Simple reply: 5th and 11th are all the same: hopeless. Points total of the 5th place season interests me only: enough t get a CL spot.

You want PL improvement to CL points heights? Go and get Ancelotti in...and he'd need Mourinho as his assistant to do what Martinez did in getting 72 points with our budget.

Yeah I can see two of the greatest managers of all time sweating trying to match up to el conquistador. Laughable. Please can people stop these comparisons with Mourinho to try and make Roberto look like the better manager, they are senseless and embarassing.

Our next run of fixtures;

Chelsea - FA Cup
Arsenal - H
United - A
Watford - A
Southampton - H

If we go out of the cup at the weekend, would anyone have a bean on us getting anything from Arsenal at Goodison and United at OT?

We could be sat in 14th having been leap frogged by the mighty Bournemouth and Watford by the time we visit Vicarage Road.....

I'm sure Comical Ali will still be saying it's all good though. Phenomenal.

Hi, first post, here goes.

1. You could analyse each game and give different excuses for each defeat, which as a long time forum reader the Martinez backers seem to do each week. The problem is though we are now nearly 2 full seasons of being a bottom half of the table side, so at some point you need to address why that is. Is he just unlucky? Is he actually sending the players out to play a system that doesn't suit them? Either way we have an a serious problem.

2. No Evertonian in their right mind should be accepting the current home form and defeats to West Brom, Swansea, West Ham, Stoke, Sunderland (last May) are very alarming. I can forgive the Leicester defeat as they are beating everybody and a million miles away from being a pub side as somebody wrote on here. At first he wanted to blame the crowd, now he's blaming the referee, both signs of a desparate man who needs to blame everybody but himself.

3. If we lose to Chelsea, I see no point in pursuing with him. The season will be over barring an out of character run of form, which we are capable of, but only I think if some fresh ideas are brought in and the current regime given their p45s.

4. I think anybody still backing him are people who like me, who wanted him to do well, but won't now admit they backed the wrong horse. They need to man up and admit it, embrace we need a change and be happy to get somebody in who can get results and get the best out of the talented group of players that we have.
Point 4. Very good mate.
Also some lads made loads of dosh when he got the job, talking about backing stuff !

Such as....?

No point even playing that game. I saw Zatara deride Mourinho as 'only good for three seasons', Pellegrini as 'buys bad players' and Mancini 'can't build a dynasty' unlike our Roberto. Ignore all those prem titles and European trophies like.

These names are unrealistic clearly but if anyone puts any name forward you'll laugh it off whereas you were happy to embrace a manager who had never managed a top side, had fought relegation most of his prem career, and had huge questions around his defensive aptitude and the fact his teams didn't start performing until the second half of the season. There's loads of good managers out there but you won't have any of them. Even if their quality is indisputable you will fall back on branding them a Pulis plus hoofball merchant. Failing that it will be logic along the lines of 'we can't get anyone but Pulis or Moyes so let's stick with the man who made us the entertainers'.

My list of managers worth considering:

Unai Emery
Benitez (NEA he wins trophies and would have us top 4)
Prandelli
Pereira
AVB
Hiddink
Ranieri (unlikely I know)
Bilic
Flores
Sarri

That's a starter list off the top of my head without even trying. Nearly all are proven to be better than Martinez, I'm sure a club with Everton's connections can also scout out a few hidden gems (like Pochettino from Espanyol).

Unlike when we picked Martinez the criteria doesn't have to be 'who is cheap and available in the NW of England and won't rock the boat?'

Yeah I can see two of the greatest managers of all time sweating trying to match up to el conquistador. Laughable. Please can people stop these comparisons with Mourinho to try and make Roberto look like the better manager, they are senseless and embarassing.
...and still no realistic replacement name.

My list of managers worth considering:

Unai Emery managing CL
Benitez
(NEA he wins trophies and would have us top 4) Pfffft
Prandelli managing CL
Pereira Lol.
AVB Needs 200m to stand still.
Hiddink unrealistic, and pretty undesirable...a pushover for players
Ranieri (unlikely I know)
Bilic London club, new stadium, money to spend, europe
Flores He's better is he?
Sarri managing CL

That's a starter list off the top of my head without even trying. Nearly all are proven to be better than Martinez, I'm sure a club with Everton's connections can also scout out a few hidden gems (like Pochettino from Espanyol).

Unlike when we picked Martinez the criteria doesn't have to be 'who is cheap and available in the NW of England and won't rock the boat?'
...none starters (as above)

hahaha, and of course there's nothing in between the soft underbelly, goal sieving, defensively awful Martinez offering and route 1, anti football, Pulis style durge?

Way to try and polarize the debate mate....

Football is a results business, Martinez has been failing to deliver results.....if there wasn't unrest and pressure on him, there'd be something drastically wrong at the club.

People are rightly questioning his tenure as we're sat 12th in the PL, and have lost 5 of our last 7 at home. It's piss poor and not good enough for EFC.

The simple facts are that he needs to improve the results - pronto. Drop the phenomenal guff, and get on with delivering some points.
...no names yet?

Rodgers, Pellegrini, AVB - you do realise how much those fellers spent don't you?

Moshiri: I think he's going to judge on pounds spent and the return in terms of results and value of the squad. Anyone in business would. In that sense he's going to see that things have been ticking over nicely overall.

Honest to God mate, I know you're a grown man and don't need another poster giving you advice, but you're a clever lad. Just ride out the forum fever and think about this. If you do you'll see that across the board Martinez has this club's PL record points, has us playing the best we've played in years with the ball, has built a squad with fantastic potential....that's what the owners see by the way. Jump off the bandwagon while it's still moving slowly enough.
Its hurting me watching you still stick up for the clown in charge.
Its like going into battle with a pea shooter please stop he has been seen through mate.
You need to let it go or you will end up staring into space for the rest of your life.
Don't lose your credibility mate

...none starters (as above)

As predicted you senselessly discounted all of them. You're right mate there's NO manager in Europe who could have us better placed than Martinez. None, zero, it's Martinez or Pulis like you said. Give the man a new contract.

As predicted you senselessly discounted all of them. You're right mate there's NO manager in Europe who could have us better placed than Martinez. None, zero, it's Martinez or Pulis like you said. Give the man a new contract.
Come on we are 12th and the entertainers.
Even if we go down thats good because we can entertain clubs that we are not used to playing like rotherham.
Nobody could get us higher than roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back