Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think too much is being read into that. I remember a couple of seasons ago Mourinho, I think the season before they won the league, had had a few bad results and announced he was going to be parking th bus for the next few games going for 1-0s. He said that doing that is the easiest thing to do in football. So he hadn't been doing it before and didn't do it the season they won the league. Not trying to defend Bobby in any way as I think the writing has been on the wall for him for a while but I think it's easy to jump on that comment the way it was presented whilst in reality it's not that simple.

No it really is that simple. He doesn't manage games. I've been saying it for about a year (and indeed got laughed at by chicoazul for using the term 'game management' at one point!)

I have no problem with him setting up a team to play towards his philosophy. That's fine. But then in the actual game itself, if it's not working, or you've identified an opposition weakness, you should be prepared to adapt and switch.

Martinez simply does not do that. He does not manage in-game - he simply thinks one way and that's that, and that's by his own admission, so it's hardly a point worth arguing about.

And the problem is that if that strategy worked, then good on him, we'd have no argument - but the amount of points we've lost because of his suicidal tendency to place his own philosophy over in-game pragmatism is frightening. Niasse for Lennon at 10 men whilst 2-0 up anyone?

No, he's got to go. He really has; at this point, any one of us on here could manage Everton and get better results by just letting the play football. That's how bad it's got - he's actually a liability to us on the pitch.

I wasn't suggesting that @The Esk had done so.

If it came across that way I apologise.

What I was trying to say is that even if ;

a.We have decided to sack Martinez and
b.Are talking to candidates

It would appear ( from the interview ) that Martinez has not been told that he will not be in charge next season.

We can only hope and pray that @The Esk is correct.

Fair enough mate. Been honest I don't care what martinez knows. I believe he's gone

My thoughts on any protests in the other thread:

Please let's be dignified about this today. Keep reading about banners, chanting, abuse towards the manager.
Yeah it's not been great recently and the chances are he will be gone in the summer or If we have a bad start next season. But let's keep our dignity and not turn into a baying mob hungry for blood today.

Support the team - Roberto wants the same as us today and that's three points.

(I do understand the frustration but let's not give the press a field day about evertonians eh?)

Carragher making out he still an Everton fan, strange. At least carragher allowed us to see the real him and he not going to change his football. Good luck with this in your future
I don't know him personally, but people who I know who do, say that there are still reasonably strong elements of his Blue roots.

He was very loyal to Liverpool as we all knew during his playing career and still is, yet post-retirement he's shown some glimmers fondness for us.

Look at Peter Reid for example: great player for Evertonian and clearly a loyal blue. Yet he was a red as a lad and still takes interest in them.

Whatever people may say, the majority of people will always still have a keen interest interest in their boyhood club. Sometimes it's just curbed.

With regards to the interview itself though; my God he's still spouting the same old nonsense and clearly showing now inklings of change.

Please let's be dignified about this today. Keep reading about banners, chanting, abuse towards the manager.
Yeah it's not been great recently and the chances are he will be gone in the summer or If we have a bad start next season. But let's keep our dignity and not turn into a baying mob hungry for blood today.

(I do understand the frustration but let's not give the press a field day about evertonians eh?)

We need to give the press plenty to write about. This is as much about perception. We obviously need a new manager, but equally we need to show that we are ambitious and to shake off the plucky little everton stigma

No it really is that simple. He doesn't manage games. I've been saying it for about a year (and indeed got laughed at by chicoazul for using the term 'game management' at one point!)

I have no problem with him setting up a team to play towards his philosophy. That's fine. But then in the actual game itself, if it's not working, or you've identified an opposition weakness, you should be prepared to adapt and switch.

Martinez simply does not do that. He does not manage in-game - he simply thinks one way and that's that, and that's by his own admission, so it's hardly a point worth arguing about.

And the problem is that if that strategy worked, then good on him, we'd have no argument - but the amount of points we've lost because of his suicidal tendency to place his own philosophy over in-game pragmatism is frightening. Niasse for Lennon at 10 men whilst 2-0 up anyone?

No, he's got to go. He really has; at this point, any one of us on here could manage Everton and get better results by just letting the play football. That's how bad it's got - he's actually a liability to us on the pitch.

His interview proves what we all thought, he knows best and will never learn or hear other views. Brilliant if it works, absolutely disastrous when it doesn't. I wouldn't be prepared to gamble our future on him being right.........

Yeah fair enough I was just talking about that comment in the interview and him being vilified for not playing the way to get results most easily. But yeah I agree with your post. He should've done something when the results took a nosedive, which is what Mourinho did in reference to my last post.

I very much agree with this

I LOL'd so much at that, then pulled faces, then got a bit scared, then worried, then LOL'd again...almost hysterically, a sort of - well, as I remember it anyway - 'I'm just about to peak' giggle...

So much so wife actually went 'What the eff's wrong with you man, get a grip...'.

Utterly nuts.

Essentially he said this...

'I could do this and it'd work....but I wont'

#POTTY

I'm at the stage of begrudgingly admiring his stubbornness.

You know, he's not a 'percentage football' man. He just wants us to dry bum teams, but unfortunately that hasn't worked out.

Moyes is good at playing the percentages. Allardyce and Pulis are too......

I can't understand the the fraud comments, the complete failure comments, the hasn't got a clue comments,

you would think we were in the bottom 3 and out of the cups in the early rounds, the guy could of with any sort of luck had us in two cup finals this season.

Overall to me he's a flake.

He can talk about philosophies and playing style, but when it doesn't work and you've not built your team mentally it'll eventually collapse.

His team's are flakey. Pressure builds, it crumbles. No intensity. When it goes well, it's a dream. The good winning managers fix things when it's not.

Look at SAF. I'd say 10+ of the titles he won over his career was down to instill a belief Into average players they could win under immense pressure.

He didn't have a "style". He wanted to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back