Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet Mosh wants his old mate Wenger in charge ! waiting til he's sacked then martinez will leave then wenger be a free signing ! if they sack him now Evertonians be wanting a new manager in next 24 hours or be banging down his door asking whats going on !

Personally I wouldn't want Wenger now.

i bet you it will be mutual termination, not sacking.

Martinez hardly sounds up for that, so I'll take your bet :cheers:

Thanks Esk so the debts have been settled ?

I don't have information on that mate. The JG (now renamed Media and Rights - from memory) may have been repaid but even if not will be repaid when the tv broadcasting funds are released post the end of the season.

Similarly no information on the long term debt - tbh I doubt that's been to repaid yet.

The media link us to the likes of Hughes and Howe. In terms of higher calibre candidates that are viable/available, the only 3 I can see in that 'top' category are Mourinho, Pellegrini, and Emery.

Pellegrini and Emery would be significant, quality upgrades on Martinez, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the media to regard either as being shockingly ambitious for plucky little Everton.

Mourinho is the only guy who would spark global attention for the club in terms of being appointed. That would indeed be "making a statement" and then some. I can't decide whether he would be good or bad for us, partly because I can't see it happening anyway.

Just so you know mate, if it's my opinion I say it's my opinion. If it's information received from any of a number of sources then I pass on what I can.

I have said consistently since last Saturday I have no definitive idea of the timing of Martinez' departure. Yesterday at the match I was told it was definitely end of season, then 5 minutes later it could be Monday.

I've got to the point where it is actually not worth asking, it will happen when it happens. The main piece of news is that we will be recruiting a very high profile and quality manager way beyond the expectations of what the media think we can attract, and that person will have very significant sums to deal in the summer months.

Forget this season, it's been a complete write off. Just look forward to a very different future at Everton.
Do you think it'll be someone who hasn't been mentioned by the media yet?

I can't decide whether he would be good or bad for us

I think he'd be great. I've always liked his devilish personality, and one interesting plus is that he categorically does not like the red side.

Him coming to Chelsea the first time has parallels with coming to us: biggish club with regular top 6 finishes furnished with new money. Okay, we haven't done top 6 these last 2 seasons but you get me.

Just so you know mate, if it's my opinion I say it's my opinion. If it's information received from any of a number of sources then I pass on what I can.

I have said consistently since last Saturday I have no definitive idea of the timing of Martinez' departure. Yesterday at the match I was told it was definitely end of season, then 5 minutes later it could be Monday.

I've got to the point where it is actually not worth asking, it will happen when it happens. The main piece of news is that we will be recruiting a very high profile and quality manager way beyond the expectations of what the media think we can attract, and that person will have very significant sums to deal in the summer months.

Forget this season, it's been a complete write off. Just look forward to a very different future at Everton.
That 3rd paragraph makes for delicious reading.

I don't have information on that mate. The JG (now renamed Media and Rights - from memory) may have been repaid but even if not will be repaid when the tv broadcasting funds are released post the end of the season.

Similarly no information on the long term debt - tbh I doubt that's been to repaid yet.
Thanks mate for the spot on information

Lets hope this new world class manage Everton are going to have,has already got the Everton Mob trying in the background to sign these world class players we might not be use to

The media link us to the likes of Hughes and Howe. In terms of higher calibre candidates that are viable/available, the only 3 I can see in that 'top' category are Mourinho, Pellegrini, and Emery.

Pellegrini and Emery would be significant, quality upgrades on Martinez, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the media to regard either as being shockingly ambitious for plucky little Everton.

Mourinho is the only guy who would spark global attention for the club in terms of being appointed. That would indeed be "making a statement" and then some. I can't decide whether he would be good or bad for us, partly because I can't see it happening anyway.
Doubt it would happen, just think the media spouting rubbish. Do you think Low coming to us (coach of reigning world and possible euro champions) would gain global attention?

Last edited:
His record in the transfer market is good.

Kone, McGeady apart. Jury still very much out on Niasse of course.
Bad; Alcaraz, Kone, McGeady, Niasse, Mattioni, Rodriguez

Mediocre; Cleverly, McCarthy, Holgate, Lennon, Barry, Galloway (Probably would make a good signing played as a CB)

Good; Besic (When played as a CM), Robles, Funes Mori, Deulofeu

Very Good; Lukaku (overpriced by 10mill at time of purchase for an unwanted player)

That's my opinion on his signings, his Transfer market signings arent as good as everyone is making out tbh but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Do you think Low coming to us (coach of reigning world and possible euro champions) would gain global attention?

Not sure how, outside of Germany and Everton, Big News this would be. Although Löw counts as 'high-end' along with Pep, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone and a few others, he's the most unproven and unknown due to his not managing a significant club since Stuttgart in the late-90's.

What examples are there of successful international managers thereafter going on to be successful at club level? Normally it's done the other way around.

Bad; Alcaraz, Kone, McGeady, Niasse, Mattioni, Rodriguez

Mediocre; Cleverly, McCarthy, Holgate, Lennon, Barry, Galloway (Probably would make a good signing played as a CB)

Good; Besic (When played as a CM), Robles, Funes Mori, Deulofeu

Very Good; Lukaku (overpriced by 10mill at time of purchase for an unwanted player)

That's my opinion on his signings, his Transfer market signings arent as good as everyone is making out tbh but that's just my opinion.

Rodriguez bad? He's a kid.

Barry and Galloway mediocre? What are you on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back