Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad; Alcaraz, Kone, McGeady, Niasse, Mattioni, Rodriguez

Mediocre; Cleverly, McCarthy, Holgate, Lennon, Barry, Galloway (Probably would make a good signing played as a CB)

Good; Besic (When played as a CM), Robles, Funes Mori, Deulofeu

Very Good; Lukaku (overpriced by 10mill at time of purchase for an unwanted player)

That's my opinion on his signings, his Transfer market signings arent as good as everyone is making out tbh but that's just my opinion.

Our best and most consistent performer in Barry is a mediocre signing... okay. Lennon was a good signing and was the catalyst for the end of last season. We haven't even seen Holgate around the first team yet.

Whilst I agree that his transfer record is not as good as others would like to make out, it pains me to see people completely write off our own players like that - more-so than people overrating them.

Not sure how, outside of Germany and Everton, Big News this would be. Although Löw counts as 'high-end' along with Pep, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone and a few others, he's the most unproven and unknown due to his not managing a significant club since Stuttgart in the late-90's.

What examples are there of successful international managers thereafter going on to be successful at club level? Normally it's done the other way around.

Steve Maclaren screams out from that post.

But expect there have been some more notable ones.

In fact, Fergie was manager of Scotland when Stein died. Took them to a WC.

Not sure how, outside of Germany and Everton, Big News this would be. Although Löw counts as 'high-end' along with Pep, Jose, Ancelotti, Simeone and a few others, he's the most unproven and unknown due to his not managing a significant club since Stuttgart in the late-90's.

What examples are there of successful international managers thereafter going on to be successful at club level? Normally it's done the other way around.
Good point. The only way Low would come to is would be for the money. You are right in the past, the pinnacle of a coach's career was to be a national manager, nowadays the best managers are paid megabucks by their respective clubs. Once again it's an illustration of the changing football landscape, whereby big, wealthy and successful clubs have the money and power in the game.

Rodriguez bad? He's a kid.

Barry and Galloway mediocre? What are you on?
Naisse may well end up beimg a poor signing but hes played about 70 minutes and been here only 3 months, think its a little premature to write him off. Not too mention mattatoni was a short term deal on a free most likely as a favor to Roms agent (both have the same one). Kone was the only one that cost some decent money and didnt work out.

Naisse may well end up beimg a poor signing but hes played about 70 minutes and been here only 3 months, think its a little premature to write him off. Not too mention mattatoni was a short term deal on a free most likely as a favor to Roms agent (both have the same one). Kone was the only one that cost some decent money and didnt work out.

McGeady cost us around 17m mert.

Bad; Alcaraz, Kone, McGeady, Niasse, Mattioni, Rodriguez

Mediocre; Cleverly, McCarthy, Holgate, Lennon, Barry, Galloway (Probably would make a good signing played as a CB)

Good; Besic (When played as a CM), Robles, Funes Mori, Deulofeu

Very Good; Lukaku (overpriced by 10mill at time of purchase for an unwanted player)

That's my opinion on his signings, his Transfer market signings arent as good as everyone is making out tbh but that's just my opinion.

To call Barry and McCarthy as mediocre signings is just utter rubbish.

Including prospects (Galloway and Holgate) in there is also utter rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back