Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@davek linked with Joachim Löw today. Rate him?
Yeah mate. I'm absolutely 100% sure Joachim Low will want to go from managing the world champions to managing Everton and the prospect of dealing with the height of abuse if he doesn't get 70 to 80 points per season.

If we get a new manager it'll be some no mark Euro boss like De Boer.

Wonderful. A new dawn.

Wasn't he in Belgium at the time?

Doent matter, the point is martienz signed him

I suppose if he grew a pair and got some decent coaches in - and shafted half his backroom staff out the door... and stopped boring the pants off us - take a few chances - grow another pair and stop falling out with the likes of Mirallas, E2, Distin, Naismith etc (that's how it seems to most of us) then he's good to go for another season or a half of one.

What chance that's going to happen though?

He fell out with distin because he was dropped for a kid (stones).the team fell out with mirralas. Didn't know he fell out with Naismith

Saw a clip of fans confronting Martinez after the last game. I for one do not advocate such behavior. He may have lost the plot badly and made grave mistakes but he is after all a human and a genuinely nice fellow. The same person who immediately won the same fans over who are against him now after 2 poor seasons. With his ubiquitous optimism aside, he does understand the Everton values. He may be out of a job because of his own doing but our fans are known to be a class act. Why did we not confront Moyes after he decided to bring Hibbert on at Wembley against the RS trying to go into ET? Or when he used to take strikers off for defenders with scores still tied? Its funny about a couple of weeks ago I wanted Martinez to be sacked immediately but somehow I feel rather than forcing him to quit with fans bullying, its better he kept his job. I doubt after this season he'll be the same person. Unless we can get someone of the likes of Mancini, De Boer or some other genuinely proven manager who has a vision of this football club then I'd avoid sacking Martinez now and keep him in charge for one more season and see what he does with some cash. I doubt he'll ignore improving the defence this time around.

To summarize myself, sack him with dignity, not abuse. Otherwise if this is the culture we want to promote then there is no difference in us and RS and I change my vote to 'Martinez In'.

Yeah mate. I'm absolutely 100% sure Joachim Low will want to go from managing the world champions to managing Everton and the prospect of dealing with the height of abuse if he doesn't get 70 to 80 points per season.

Wonderful. A new dawn.
To be fair Moyes didn't get protests or plane banners in 11 years........

I sadly agree with this. I've been pilloried (so too has @davek to a much greater extent) for being patient with our manager. Well, I'm not embarrassed that I've had a bit of patience.

However, his time here is done. Things have gone too far, and they simply can't carry on this way. We need a manager we can all unite behind. Even if we might end up at each others throats in 18-month's time.

...and so you shouldn't be mate ! Patience is a virtue - as the old saying goes. The test of sanity comes in knowing when enough is enough, and letting that patience give way to action/change or a need to do something about it.

I've supported Roberto fully in the past, only heading towards the proverbial fence in the couple of games leading up to the Derby with the Derby disgrace, the Baines issue being an indication of the obvious loss of the dressing room (in my opinion) being the catalyst that tipped me off the fence to the side where him going can not come soon enough.

Saw a clip of fans confronting Martinez after the last game. I for one do not advocate such behavior. He may have lost the plot badly and made grave mistakes but he is after all a human and a genuinely nice fellow. The same person who immediately won the same fans over who are against him now after 2 poor seasons. With his ubiquitous optimism aside, he does understand the Everton values. He may be out of a job because of his own doing but our fans are known to be a class act. Why did we not confront Moyes after he decided to bring Hibbert on at Wembley against the RS trying to go into ET? Or when he used to take strikers off for defenders with scores still tied? Its funny about a couple of weeks ago I wanted Martinez to be sacked immediately but somehow I feel rather than forcing him to quit with fans bullying, its better he kept his job. I doubt after this season he'll be the same person. Unless we can get someone of the likes of Mancini, De Boer or some other genuinely proven manager who has a vision of this football club then I'd avoid sacking Martinez now and keep him in charge for one more season and see what he does with some cash. I doubt he'll ignore improving the defence this time around.

To summarize myself, sack him with dignity, not abuse. Otherwise if this is the culture we want to promote then there is no difference in us and RS and I change my vote to 'Martinez In'.

Ok mate - we get it! :p

All managers sign duds.

For every Lukaku, Deulofeu, Cahill and Kanchelskis, there's a Senderos, Hottiger, Niasse.
Aye, and I do believe Martinez on a whole has done well transfer wise. Always believed thst, even after niasse. I'm even happy to give him mcgeady as he was his borini and he didn't break the bank transfer fee wise to sign him.

It was martienz who convince him to turn his car around when on his way to West brom. Martinez also convinced him to sign for us. Let's give the guy credit for this signing.

...pretty sure KEV MIRALLAS played a big part in this TX y'know.

Perhaps KEV should consider becoming an agent when he stops playing football. (which was a while ago now TBH)

Wonderful. A new dawn.

What managers would you rate? The problem is you back yourself into a corner. You'll only accept a few managers such as Mourinho and Guardiola as world class, then laugh and say they are unrealistic, then discount every single manager beneath them as no better than Martinez. That's not true, there's a whole sliding scale of managerial quality with poor lower end prem managers like Martinez at one end and the cream of Europe at the other. Just because we can't get one if the world's best managers (according to you) it doesn't mean we can't get a far far better manager than Roberto Martinez.

While true, the custodian of the managerial position earning £3m per season at a top football club deserves no sympathy to be frank.
Our ears deserve sympathy from the condescending fluffity fluff verbalised by such Manager to his supporter base on a weekly basis.

they protested to get gordon lee out too, should we have kept him and sacked off the kendall era that came after

They also protested to bin Howard in the dark days of winter 1982/83......and again in the months before Kevin Brock.

Luckily the protests went unheeded ;)

I'm just sayin'

That's because he didn't have a new owner sitting in the wings ready to spend cash. You really think if we'd had money when Moyes was finishing us 17th and 11th there would have been no attempt to unseat him?
And rightly so. Both average Managers not fit to manage a top club.

What managers would you rate? The problem is you back yourself into a corner. You'll only accept a few managers such as Mourinho and Guardiola as world class, then laugh and say they are unrealistic, then discount every single manager beneath them as no better than Martinez. That's not true, there's a whole sliding scale of managerial quality with poor lower end prem managers like Martinez at one end and the cream of Europe at the other. Just because we can't get one if the world's best managers (according to you) it doesn't mean we can't get a far far better manager than Roberto Martinez.
We've been promised on here by an ITK that we're getting a top class manager. I'm just going by that mate. Is de Boer a top class manager? He's been managing in a league only a few rungs above the SPL and has had his arse handed to him when he's taken Ajax into European competition.

THAT is not top class. And if that's the extent to the owners ambitions then we may as we'll keep RM and hand him the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back