Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your thoughts on Leicester winning the league davek ?
Yeah, they'll win the league. And they'll be the ugliest team ever to win the English title. They are an abomination in football terms and only get a free pass on that because "it's little Leicester".

They are rank.

Just catching up on a few pages in here this bank holiday morning.

Does nobody but me remember the great football we played under Moyes in his last couple of seasons?, great attacking football?

The transition to Martinez was not some revolution, far from it, and I remember at the time thinking it's not much different to how we played last season under Moyes in Martinez's first.

The more I look at Martinez, into his record, I think he's a complete myth, his first season here, he was just caretaker of a Moyes team that was already playing good football, with a team spirit 2nd to none in this league, look at the spirit now, destroyed.

I can't for the life of me see what the Davek types on this forum see in Mythinez, but everyone can have an opinion, there is mine.

Yes! I agree completely - the criticism of Moyes' football has always puzzled me. There were plenty of times we played great stuff. The issues for me with Moyes were the deference he showed, the disillusion that crept in, the sense of depression about him at times, and clinging on in games against richer clubs. Martinez's football wasn't better, but his demeanour was much more positive and approachable. If Moyes hadn't said what he did after he left us, he'd be held in much higher regard.

On the Lukaku thing. It's my belief that Lukaku would just go to the biggest club that guaranteed him playing time. Hence why we won out against West Brom. We had the cash to buy him the next summer but if United or PSG had said 'you're guaranteed to play every game upfront', do you think he'd have said 'sorry lads sounds good but the opportunity to work with Roberto is too big to turn down'? Of course not. Martinez identified Lukaku and the club did the work to bring him in. For the same reason Stones chose Moyes over Martinez, and the same reason Lukaku chose Martinez over Clarke, the common denominator is Everton just being the bigger football team.

At least we were before Roberto set us back with the riff raff.

Seems my point is horribly misconstrued.

I will give Martinez credit for a lot of signing, in fact I have said In the past I actually would trust Martinez with transfer funds niasse aside. Mcgeady was just like lennon, cheap and could hopefully do a job. And certainly some players he has signed he has done fantastic in, I rate mori and besic quite highly, have impressed me since they signed.

I just think there is a difference between signing Europe's top young striker who is a given to be good and signing players who are higher risk and prove to be good transfers in the end.

I get what yer mean ASH

LUKAKU was a no-brainer...potential/record/all that...no judgment or weighing up needed.

Whereas NIASSE etc...

Saw a clip of fans confronting Martinez after the last game. I for one do not advocate such behavior. He may have lost the plot badly and made grave mistakes but he is after all a human and a genuinely nice fellow. The same person who immediately won the same fans over who are against him now after 2 poor seasons. With his ubiquitous optimism aside, he does understand the Everton values. He may be out of a job because of his own doing but our fans are known to be a class act. Why did we not confront Moyes after he decided to bring Hibbert on at Wembley against the RS trying to go into ET? Or when he used to take strikers off for defenders with scores still tied? Its funny about a couple of weeks ago I wanted Martinez to be sacked immediately but somehow I feel rather than forcing him to quit with fans bullying, its better he kept his job. I doubt after this season he'll be the same person. Unless we can get someone of the likes of Mancini, De Boer or some other genuinely proven manager who has a vision of this football club then I'd avoid sacking Martinez now and keep him in charge for one more season and see what he does with some cash. I doubt he'll ignore improving the defence this time around.

To summarize myself, sack him with dignity, not abuse. Otherwise if this is the culture we want to promote then there is no difference in us and RS and I change my vote to 'Martinez In'.

So because some idiots abused him and he's a nice guy, he deserves to stay as manager of Everton? It's got nothing to do with Moyes either, martinezhas come into the club spouting his mouth off how he was going to improve the team and get Champions League etc. He has used every excuse in the book to explain his ineptness, even dragging Howard Kendall's name into it in his desperation to keep his job, which I thought was a disgrace.

Unfortunately he's failed in a results business for 3 years, he's not good enough.

That's because he didn't have a new owner sitting in the wings ready to spend cash. You really think if we'd had money when Moyes was finishing us 17th and 11th there would have been no attempt to unseat him?
I agree. We probably would have done.

We've been promised on here by an ITK that we're getting a top class manager. I'm just going by that mate. Is de Boer a top class manager? He's been managing in a league only a few rungs above the SPL and has had his arse handed to him when he's taken Ajax into European competition.

THAT is not top class. And if that's the extent to the owners ambitions then we may as we'll keep RM and hand him the cash.

Yes, we may as well keep a manager who has us finishing bottom half for two seasons in a row, because we can't get Guardiola.

Saw a clip of fans confronting Martinez after the last game. I for one do not advocate such behavior. He may have lost the plot badly and made grave mistakes but he is after all a human and a genuinely nice fellow. The same person who immediately won the same fans over who are against him now after 2 poor seasons. With his ubiquitous optimism aside, he does understand the Everton values. He may be out of a job because of his own doing but our fans are known to be a class act. Why did we not confront Moyes after he decided to bring Hibbert on at Wembley against the RS trying to go into ET? Or when he used to take strikers off for defenders with scores still tied? Its funny about a couple of weeks ago I wanted Martinez to be sacked immediately but somehow I feel rather than forcing him to quit with fans bullying, its better he kept his job. I doubt after this season he'll be the same person. Unless we can get someone of the likes of Mancini, De Boer or some other genuinely proven manager who has a vision of this football club then I'd avoid sacking Martinez now and keep him in charge for one more season and see what he does with some cash. I doubt he'll ignore improving the defence this time around.

To summarize myself, sack him with dignity, not abuse. Otherwise if this is the culture we want to promote then there is no difference in us and RS and I change my vote to 'Martinez In'.
You want to him to keep his job because he got bullied?? Mate there has to be a better reason than that surely?

Man is not up to the task, he is embarrassing this club everytime he opens his mouth. The poll currently says 93% want him out. I think that's fairly conclusive. He shouldn't be in a position to get abuse!! Every club with ambitions would have sacked him at Xmas, 2 cup runs don't do anything for me, apart from Chelsea at home (In a match were our performance stank) won't change my mind.

Yeah, they'll win the league. And they'll be the ugliest team ever to win the English title. They are an abomination in football terms and only get a free pass on that because "it's little Leicester".

They are rank.
201411_2239_ifghe_sm.gif

We've been promised on here by an ITK that we're getting a top class manager. I'm just going by that mate. Is de Boer a top class manager? He's been managing in a league only a few rungs above the SPL and has had his arse handed to him when he's taken Ajax into European competition.

THAT is not top class. And if that's the extent to the owners ambitions then we may as we'll keep RM and hand him the cash.

Genuinely glad that this place has a wealth and range of opinions on the matter and not just some echo chamber of bile for the guy... but please, please summarise the logic for this - other than blind faith. Will the defence sort itself out if we throw money at it, or is there something fundamental in his philosophy/aversion to defensive drilling that makes us so gash?

They are rank.
Still though I agree they don't play good football but they get the results they want week in week out they look organised plenty of tricks up they're sleeve and made us look pathetic don't you think

Every way is the right way to play if you have the money/players, some belief and a bit of luck.

Football is very simple, you either have a system and adapt/buy players who play your system. Or you adapt your system to fit the skills your players have.
Unfortunately we have a system which the players we have can't play and a manager who won't adapt.

And rightly so. Both average Managers not fit to manage a top club.
Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.

I'd call that being very much "fit" to manage Everton. And I tell you what, if / when Martinez is replaced - money or not - they will struggle badly to get 21 wins in one season and 72 points.

They'll be judged on that for me. And if they fall short I'll be deeming them "unfit" to be Everton manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back