Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what yer mean ASH

LUKAKU was a no-brainer...potential/record/all that...no judgment or weighing up needed.

Whereas NIASSE etc...
I mean it's repeating myself now but yeah, I actually praise Martinez for his signings on a whole, and will happily pay credit to him for thst. Besic I believe will be a top player for us once he shakes off the injuries and considering the circumstances mori has exceeded my expectations this season.

But you don't sign Messi then act surprised when he scores 40 goals for you, same as lukaku. Even googling it before he was being described as Europe's most exciting youngster.

And just a random point, to what extent did Martinez actually convince him? The board did their bit, but to what extent did the players and more importantly the fans do to convince him to come here? I mean deloufeu spoke highly of the fans and at least implied that was a factor in coming back

People have made their point and the protests to martinez when he was leaving the stadium was pathetic.

Point has been made, I watched his interview after the game and before the final question he takes a deep breath. He is stressed and does not like what is going on, I actually think he would be upset over our protests and it is time to ease off.

You want to him to keep his job because he got bullied?? Mate there has to be a better reason than that surely?

Man is not up to the task, he is embarrassing this club everytime he opens his mouth. The poll currently says 93% want him out. I think that's fairly conclusive. He shouldn't be in a position to get abuse!! Every club with ambitions would have sacked him at Xmas, 2 cup runs don't do anything for me, apart from Chelsea at home (In a match were our performance stank) won't change my mind.

The point is we can't allow the fans to dicate who should be sacked or not.

If sacking RM can make Stones and Rom stay then there shouldn't be any 2nd thoughts for Mohshiri

I cannot agree with that.

It would be a dangerous precedent for a football club to set, allowing the whims of young players to dictate to billionaire owners who should or should not be manager.

Especially when the two you mention make no secret of the fact Everton is a stepping stone for them and one has already put one transfer request already, long before this current collapse occurred.

Bring on a fortnight today. This thread is going round in circles.

giphy.gif

All managers sign duds.

For every Lukaku, Deulofeu, Cahill and Kanchelskis, there's a Senderos, Hottiger, Niasse.

Yes indeed !

None of them come with a guarantee unfortunately, and even some of the perceived superstars of the game can move and the wheels come off their career.

There probably are not that many that would have looked at Falcao and said he was a dud in the making ? But he went down like a pint of cold sick didn't he !

It is just one of those realities of the game - all managers get burnt at some stage on the transfer front.

Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.

I'd call that being very much "fit" to manage Everton. And I tell you what, if / when Martinez is replaced - money or not - they will struggle badly to get 21 wins in one season and 72 points.

They'll be judged on that for me. And if they fall short I'll be deeming them "unfit" to be Everton manager.
you do realise martinez is falling short of that by about 10 wins and 20 points don't you? For 2 seasons on the bounce. 66% of his time here?, you've just hit the self destruct button on your own argument in one paragraph.

Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.

I'd call that being very much "fit" to manage Everton. And I tell you what, if / when Martinez is replaced - money or not - they will struggle badly to get 21 wins in one season and 72 points.

They'll be judged on that for me. And if they fall short I'll be deeming them "unfit" to be Everton manager.

It is the eighty odd points he has managed to acrew in the two seasons since then that is the problem. Those top managers get 72+ every year, that is why they are top and Martinez is bottom half.

Yes, we may as well keep a manager who has us finishing bottom half for two seasons in a row, because we can't get Guardiola.
Midtable and two cup semi final spots. More than enough to keep any Everton manager in a job who's not had the benefit of the much vaunted Moshiri cash.

Only the fickle would suggest otherwise. That's the category that you neatly fit into.

Martinez has his advantages and it wouldn't be fair to forget them. I was proud that he promoted our history and where we stand as a club. Shame that nobody in our PR department considered it earlier, I guess that's what comes with lowering expectations.

It would obviously be wistful to expect that considering who we are. It shouldn't have been standard club policy anyway.

Let's hope that our new manager not only talks about history but is dedicated to creating a new one. I'm not really into revisionism or tender hearts. Martinez and Kenwright deserve all the vitriol coming their way. Sooner we are shut of them the better, if you are really serious about winning that is.

Saw a clip of fans confronting Martinez after the last game. I for one do not advocate such behavior. He may have lost the plot badly and made grave mistakes but he is after all a human and a genuinely nice fellow. The same person who immediately won the same fans over who are against him now after 2 poor seasons. With his ubiquitous optimism aside, he does understand the Everton values. He may be out of a job because of his own doing but our fans are known to be a class act. Why did we not confront Moyes after he decided to bring Hibbert on at Wembley against the RS trying to go into ET? Or when he used to take strikers off for defenders with scores still tied? Its funny about a couple of weeks ago I wanted Martinez to be sacked immediately but somehow I feel rather than forcing him to quit with fans bullying, its better he kept his job. I doubt after this season he'll be the same person. Unless we can get someone of the likes of Mancini, De Boer or some other genuinely proven manager who has a vision of this football club then I'd avoid sacking Martinez now and keep him in charge for one more season and see what he does with some cash. I doubt he'll ignore improving the defence this time around.

To summarize myself, sack him with dignity, not abuse. Otherwise if this is the culture we want to promote then there is no difference in us and RS and I change my vote to 'Martinez In'.

The club has to take a lot of the blame for allowing the situation to get so bad mate.

Sitting on their hands and letting him chat massive amounts of wham after every game has hardly helped the situation.

It's got to the point now, where some people have gone beyond disliking him and now would appear to have a proper hatred for him.

The club should never have let it get to this point.

Yeah, they'll win the league. And they'll be the ugliest team ever to win the English title. They are an abomination in football terms and only get a free pass on that because "it's little Leicester".

They are rank.
Maybe but if that was Everton I and thousands of others would take that as a compliment and enjoy champions league football next season.
And rub the R/S noses in it big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back