Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho

A total beaten into submission by ranieri;a league position bettered by pochettino, redknapp, ranieri and a couple of others.

You harp on about the 'super-duper PL' but now martinez's one-off 'record' in the super-duper PL is something to behold, is it?

More twists & turns than a rattlesnake with a hernia.

So because some idiots abused him and he's a nice guy, he deserves to stay as manager of Everton? It's got nothing to do with Moyes either, martinezhas come into the club spouting his mouth off how he was going to improve the team and get Champions League etc. He has used every excuse in the book to explain his ineptness, even dragging Howard Kendall's name into it in his desperation to keep his job, which I thought was a disgrace.

Unfortunately he's failed in a results business for 3 years, he's not good enough.

I see your point. It was a very 'incredible style' in which he tried to save his job using past highlights and Kendall. I think if he simply just says 'I made some bad calls and I apologize' then fans maybe will be a bit easy on him. He is clinging onto his job atm. Leave it to the board to figure out. His future lies in the hands of the board now.

you do realise martinez is falling short of that by about 10 wins and 20 points don't you? For 2 seasons on the bounce. 66% of his time here?, you've just hit the self destruct button on your own argument in one paragraph.
Cup runs weigh for him this season.

To be honest, if season two's form and results were now it'd be harder to defend Martinez. As it stands though this season has seen us playing some great football up until about February and the cup runs have made up for finishing midtable again.

In short, it makes absolutely no sense to me to agitate for his dismissal this season. Whats driving this on is the Moshiri cash and people who are deluded enough to think (and egged on by people who should know better) that we'll replace Martinez with a world class act such as Mourinho....and there's no chance of that happening. We'll end up with a Euro no mark boss like De Boer.

There is going to be some serious disappointment if Martinez is replaced by that calibre of manager.

Midtable and two cup semi final spots. More than enough to keep any Everton manager in a job who's not had the benefit of the much vaunted Moshiri cash.

Only the fickle would suggest otherwise. That's the category that you neatly fit into.

...whereas you seem to have made the 'Lovetorn Obsessive' category ALL your own David.

You the bomb, man...etc.

#BOOM

It is the eighty odd points he has managed to acrew in the two seasons since then that is the problem. Those top managers get 72+ every year, that is why they are top and Martinez is bottom half.
....and they get hundreds of millions to get those points each season too.

Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.

I'd call that being very much "fit" to manage Everton. And I tell you what, if / when Martinez is replaced - money or not - they will struggle badly to get 21 wins in one season and 72 points.

They'll be judged on that for me. And if they fall short I'll be deeming them "unfit" to be Everton manager.
And I'll join you in that judgement Dave. Whomever we have as Manager.

But under 50 points in consecutive seasons is not good enough. End of story.

I cannot agree with that.

It would be a dangerous precedent for a football club to set, allowing the whims of young players to dictate to billionaire owners who should or should not be manager.

Especially when the two you mention make no secret of the fact Everton is a stepping stone for them and one has already put one transfer request already, long before this current collapse occurred.

I was making that point as I genuinely believe these 2 lads were convinced Martinez would guide Everton to their aspirations. Its hard replacing these 2. And losing them both in the same window would be a disaster. We need to build on these 2 as long as we can. If a proven CL manager convinces them to stay at Everton for a couple of more years. Its win win for us both. Unless they still want to leave then I'd say 'Good Riddance' and we should cash in.

How much longer would you let him dine out on that one good season though?

Also surely managers should surely be judged against Moyes 4th place finish, that's the highest premier league finish we've achieved.
61 points Moyes got to get that 4th spot. That's about four wins less in one season than Martinez got three seasons back. No comparison.

Cup runs weigh for him this season.

To be honest, if season two's form and results were now it'd be harder to defend Martinez. As it stands though this season has seen us playing some great football up until about February and the cup runs have made up for finishing midtable again.

In short, it makes absolutely no sense to me to agitate for his dismissal this season. Whats driving this on is the Moshiri cash and people who are deluded enough to think (and egged on by people who should know better) that we'll replace Martinez with a world class act such as Mourinho....and there's no chance of that happening. We'll end up with a Euro no mark boss like De Boer.

There is going to be some serious disappointment if Martinez is replaced by that calibre of manager.

Dave, what calibre of manager do you deem ROBERTO? Really....

Sorry dave, I'm sure you're a good guy, but these threads were infinitely more readable without your constant windups and the responses to them.

It's almost impressive the sheer volume of time you've dedicated to winding up fellow Evertonians. 80 posts (with more or less the same content in each, at a glance) since yesterday. Jeez.
That's not even counting the multis.

Yeah, they'll win the league. And they'll be the ugliest team ever to win the English title. They are an abomination in football terms and only get a free pass on that because "it's little Leicester".

They are rank.
Martinez's mindset right there. You would rather Everton finish 11th than have martinez change his philosophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back