Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if the following has already been noticed- I've been working all weekend and only had chance to skim the thread;

I was sure Martinez was gone after the Semi Final, then over last week I thought 'Oh jesus he's staying'. But just over the past couple of days with news stories like the Sky one: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...overly-positive-on-evertons-disastrous-season

It seems like the media is preparing us for the change to come. I don't like how the big companies like sky dictate the narrative so much, I think the fans should, but it's true that the media giants hold sway over events in the modern game.

I think Moshiri probably has a hand in that world of media narrative spin- it's probably standard protocol for Sky to be informed first of any big changes- the last 24 hours feel like the big companies (not just twitter rumours) are laying the ground for Martinez gone. Again- it's infuriating that it has to be like this.

Why would Sky or any other media outlet need to lay the ground and "prepare" us for a change in management?

The only thing we are not "prepared" for is Bobby still being in charge come August.

:Blink:

Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.

I'd call that being very much "fit" to manage Everton. And I tell you what, if / when Martinez is replaced - money or not - they will struggle badly to get 21 wins in one season and 72 points.

They'll be judged on that for me. And if they fall short I'll be deeming them "unfit" to be Everton manager.
That's the thing for me, credit to Martinez he did achieve 72 points. However for the last two seasons he didn't get anywhere it, and we have progressively gotten worse, with no sign of him having any idea of how to stop it.

davek the Derby. You can't let that go. I'm with you on everything you say under the board.

De Boer, Koeman, I get it. Are they an improvement? It's a risk for sure.

Can't have that surrender though, if you accept that you're condemning us to the anathema of what we stand for.

I'm not arsed about 11th or your paradise of a seventh place trophy. I want to see good football and a cup in the trophy cabinet.

We were close this season.
Dave I would normally tend to agree with you but the going forward fear is that we're clearly on a downward trend in terms of results - give another 6 weeks in this season and we could have easily been pulled into a relegation fight. We simply can't take that risk next season.

I agree mate. That's all it would have taken form him a bit of honesty. Hopefully the board look past all the idiots abusing him and make the decision for footballing reasons.

That's it. The home form this season, number of games won, the number of goals conceded and points given away from winning position over the last 2 years make a sufficient justification to sack him and Martinez can have no excuses.

'72...72...72...72...72...'

'5 times...5 times...5 times...5 times...5 times...'

It's literally that boring mate, it's becoming as vapid as theirs, it's a stutter now... but the difference is '5 times' actually relates to something solid, whereas 72 points is essentially fog & fluff and achieved nothing...NOTHING. It's a fluked yardstick built on an inherited defence and defenders that could defend before he sucked that ability from them...

Turn it in Dave. Support him as you do but the 72 isn't the answer to every question.

davek the Derby. You can't let that go. I'm with you on everything you say under the board.

Can't have that surrender though, if you accept that you're condemning us to the anathema of what we stand for.

Not just the derby really was it? the 1st half performance in the semi too....also the weeks leading up to his defining week, all signs pointed to what actually happened was going to.

I'm not arsed about 11th or your paradise of a seventh place trophy. I want to see good football and a cup in the trophy cabinet.

We were close this season.

Is the Championship trophy, or League 1, or Johnstone paint, or Vanarama type trophies enough to satisfy you then?

Because it looks like that's where your pal will take us!

Cup runs weigh for him this season.

To be honest, if season two's form and results were now it'd be harder to defend Martinez. As it stands though this season has seen us playing some great football up until about February and the cup runs have made up for finishing midtable again.

In short, it makes absolutely no sense to me to agitate for his dismissal this season. Whats driving this on is the Moshiri cash and people who are deluded enough to think (and egged on by people who should know better) that we'll replace Martinez with a world class act such as Mourinho....and there's no chance of that happening. We'll end up with a Euro no mark boss like De Boer.

There is going to be some serious disappointment if Martinez is replaced by that calibre of manager.

I have to say I disagree

His teams do play good football that is true but the defensive frailties mean that it does not matter how good the football is you will always come up short.

Cup runs come and go and those are one off games so gauge his progress based on cup runs is folly. Its the numbers that don't lie when it comes to the performance indicators goals conceded, points lost from winning positions and league position going backwards.

As I said earlier there was some really good attacking play but equally some really poor slow predictable stuff with ' going nowhere football ' and hos previous record has left me thinking yes there's better managers out there.

Martinez 'great football' style is about 6 years out of date. Barcelona have been found out and we aren't even in their league trying to play that failed style.

The best teams now play a pressing game.

A certain national team used it 2 years ago in Brazil in fact. Worked out quite well for them if I recall. I can think of seven reasons why their manager would be better than our current incumbent, and they all came in the semi final against the hosts

Midtable and two cup semi final spots. More than enough to keep any Everton manager in a job who's not had the benefit of the much vaunted Moshiri cash.

Only the fickle would suggest otherwise. That's the category that you neatly fit into.
I guarantee you in 10 years time people will be talking about how "little Leicester" won the league, and not about Everton finishing 11th and reaching two semi finals.

Koeman would be an improvement. Look where they are in the league. Look at what he's won with other clubs, his experience, the respect he commands.

Martinez was a lower league player who won nothing, who won a 3rd division title & an FA Cup before relegating Wigan because he wouldn't compromise his deluded style. His background staff are all failed lower league players, the likes of Jones & Lawrence are so far out of their depth it's not funny. They are so under qualified.

They have benefitted from massive decisions going their way at crucial stages of games and the fact that the elite in the PL are in disarray.

Hats off to them for taking their chance and not bottling it. But the fact remains they are a terrible, ugly team to behold. They are the opposite of all that's good in football.

Rank hypocrisy; If we and by extension yer man Roberto, where in Leicester's position now, you, like everybody else would be in the midst of the worlds biggest fap-fest.

#1st March 2015 ( nice one @The Esk )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back