Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know one thing that has always stuck in my mind is when we were giving Moyes stick when he went to Utd, and got the "Sacked in morning" and "Stuck with Moyes Man Utd" choruses at Old Trafford, he met some Evertonian's staying in the same hotel as him and he told them he thought it was a disgrace the way the Everton fans treated him.

He also said something like "We'll see who's laughing last, or they won't be laughing soon" and I always took it as he was talking about Martinez and what we had in front of us with him.

He maybe is laughing last isn't he?...I don't want Moyes back, never, but I always remember what he'd said to those fans in the hotel, Lowry hotel I think it was.
He's not really laughing either though is he, I mean he's been sacked from his last 2 jobs and his best prospect is hoping there's a small chance he can get back in with us.

Yeah, they'll win the league. And they'll be the ugliest team ever to win the English title. They are an abomination in football terms and only get a free pass on that because "it's little Leicester".

They are rank.
What an absolute crock of the proverbial.

A managers job is to get the best out of what he has, Pearson started it at Leicester and Ranieri has taken it on a level

What they've achieved is nothing short of remarkable. Their football is far from 'rank' as well, do you think their fanbase is moaning about not having 60% possession and passing it sideways and backwards without creating knack all?

Your 'great football' Martinez myth is nothing more than that, we're the ones who've been absolute rank this season.

It has annoyed me that it was only the mouth-breathing of pundits that seemed to recognise or point out the disparity between his words and our performances, at first.

The Mighty Quint maybe the reason we laughed at him, is because given the opportunity, he failed not just at United but at Sociedad too. He was lucky to get our club and it will be the zenith of his career, like Martinez. It's unfortunate that in our darkest hour we've had egocentrists who believe they are better than their employer.

It says more about the men that hired them than it does about us mate.

I'm not arsed about 11th or your paradise of a seventh place trophy. I want to see good football and a cup in the trophy cabinet.

We were close this season.

People say protesting is what Newcastle fans do, but WOW, this is what Newcastle fans want.

I want a winning team, and when Martinez says the result is not what he looks for, but the performance, I know he isn't the man to do that.

Agree he should go but I really don't like this waiting for our manager to come out the stadium and give him an earful telling him to go. The stadium protest was well ran, but outside the ground, feels very cheap and on the sly to me.

Horrible how this is panning out because he genuinely loves everton, and understands the job, but it's not happening for him. And for all his faults, there are various other factors that make his position untenable.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4741692.ece

Martínez waiting to be sacked after being confronted by fans

It was at 6.15pm on Saturday, almost 90 minutes after the final whistle, when Roberto Martínez emerged from the Everton dressing room to take the familiar walk through the stands of Goodison Park to his car. That, though, was where normality ended. On Gwladys Street, the 100 or so banner-waving protesters who had waited for the Everton manager made their feelings known. “Roberto Martínez, get out of our club,” they chanted.

There was no real threat to Martínez — those who stayed behind to demonstrate were peaceful — but no chances were being taken with the Spaniard’s safety as he was ushered out by security guards.

Just two years earlier, Martínez was fêted by supporters. Back then, the messages daubed on royal blue bed sheets were tributes, not taunts. “Solo Lo Mejor,” a Spanish phrase meaning “Only The Best,” was a particular favourite. Now, the banners communicate disillusionment, with “Martínez Out” capturing the mood. The sight of a hired aeroplane carrying a banner stating “Time To Go Roberto” over the ground during Everton’s 2-1 win over Bournemouth was as predictable as it must have been dispiriting to its target. Wherever Martínez looked, in the sky or in the stands, he was confronted.

“Being a manager is a lonely job and it has to be a lonely job,” he said. “All I want is the best for Everton. It’s not about me, it’s not about making safe decisions, it’s about believing in what we have to do to progress and reach where we want to go. My job is to be lonely, but just to prepare the team to win.”

It is his failure to win enough this season that has increased his isolation. Martínez is a good man, the kind of person who fits with Everton’s wholesome image, but football is a results business and even the finest human qualities offer little protection when expectations are not met.

“We had high hopes,” he said. “We wanted to get to the [FA Cup] final at Wembley [but didn’t] and we have had eight defeats at home. I cannot hide that it’s a real disappointment for all of us, the fans, the players and myself. It is an honour to be Everton manager. I know the history and expectation we have, but I bring that on myself anyway. It’s not about winning the fans over with talking, it’s about doing it with wins.”

The worry after Saturday is that winning is no longer enough. Victory over Bournemouth, with goals in either half from Tom Cleverley and Leighton Baines rendering Marc Pugh’s strike a consolation, did not remove the sense of disillusionment that threatens to consume Martínez. The mood at Goodison was one of absolute resignation, the desire was for a season of disappointment to be put out of its misery. To add to Martínez’s troubles, the negative atmosphere was taken in by Farhad Moshiri, and Everton’s new majority shareholder cannot have failed to notice the plummeting approval ratings of the manager he inherited.

Everton have a big decision to make but whatever course of action they take — and the likelihood is that Martínez’s days are numbered — the hope must be that if they do opt for a change that they opt with the dignity for which they are renowned. On Saturday, those qualities were evident once again in an emotional, pitch-perfect tribute to the Hillsborough families which underlined their unrivalled sense of community. Now they have to ensure one of their own is treated with similar respect.

The expectation on Martínez’s behalf is that Everton’s board will treat him with respect, but there is also an acceptance that decisions have to be made. “We all work together really, really well,” he said. “I’m sure there will be enough time at the end of the season to sit down and prepare for whatever is ahead of us. But for the moment there is a constant dialogue in the usual way.”

If the feeling in the boardroom matches that among the protesters, Martínez’s time will be up.

Finishing consistently in the bottom half below teams like Southampton is not acceptable and the fact that you're saying it is just shows how fickle you are.

You would sooner see us struggle just to try and keep your side of an argument alive. Interesting definition of an Everton supporter.
"Consistently in the bottom half" - it's happened once so far.

Lol.

You're absolutely hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back