Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha Ha Ha Ha....the excuses are starting already.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what spending a fortune and not reaching top four would be. Look, Leicester did it didn't they???

Boots on the other foot now mate. No hiding place for failure for any new manager that comes in. None whatsoever. Either succeed or get out.

So ok ok Martinez hasn't spent money has he?

First, second season third

So why aren't we top 4 now then under this manager if Leicester are winning the league?

Riddle me this riddle me that

Ha Ha Ha Ha....the excuses are starting already.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what spending a fortune and not reaching top four would be. Look, Leicester did it didn't they???

Boots on the other foot now mate. No hiding place for failure for any new manager that comes in. None whatsoever. Either succeed or get out.
The new manager will be judged in context and that context will depend on what level of backing he's given.

In exactly the same way we've judged Brown Shoes, who's taken us backwards for 2 seasons, despite being funded at a level way beyond that of his predecessor.

Who then is the no brainer that we should sign this summer ?
No brainer are easier in hindsight.

...isn't that just the point though mate, RM hardly had to rely on a sense of chance nor acumen application & savvy with LUKAKU really did he?

Can you think of a suitable replacement assuming, as is likely, that ROM offs? I can't

Can you also honestly say you'd trust him to find one? I can't say that either....NIASSE?

Pffffffffff............

Can you also honestly consider that we'd be a more appealing option for the purchase of such mythical players given we may finish, say, 14th with a manager at the helm who insists he's gonna stick with his 'formula' despite admitting other ways are perhaps more fruitful? It's hardly a draw that is it? So I can't see that either...

He's fractured and he's ballooned the best chance he'll have at management progression. Know why?

Because he's a terrible manager.

It really is that simple.

I agree with David, if in 3 years the next manager hasnt got top 4 or won a cup we should sack him.
Next season or the season after at the latest.

No CL spot and they have failed utterly.

Sorry, the bar just got raised to those levels and I for one won't take a man coming in and spending a billionaires money and failing to secure CL football.

Top four or get out. Simple as that.

Davek keeps referring to our beautiful footy....it's a myth really. We play nicely from time to time but generally it's boring and easy to play against.
It's been dire for ages, our passing game only gets us to the half way line and then we go back.

It's slow, predictable and boring.

Top class manager. If a truly top class manager is brought in Ill be impressed. Then I'll see if they perform in the first season as well as Martinez did in his. If not then I'd withdraw any support for them.

Tbh, I'd have no dog in that fight. They wouldn't be my choice of manager anyway. But anyone advocating managerial change right now should back whomever comes in after Martinez and continue to back them to the hilt otherwise they are inconsistent and fickle....and I'll remind them of that at every turn.

Next manager spending more money than Martinez has to secure CL football straight away or they are failing. Simple as that.

Martinez took us from 6th to 5th in his first season. So any new manager just has to put us into the top half for a similar impact.

Next season or the season after at the latest.

No CL spot and they have failed utterly.

Sorry, the bar just got raised to those levels and I for one won't take a man coming in and spending a billionaires money and failing to secure CL football.

Top four or get out. Simple as that.

I agree.

But 3 years is the "standard".

I think that possibly nobody has told you yet that it doesn't matter what a few posters on a website vote for

Is that true? Not a big fan of polls myself. Rightly so, have been shot down for it. I'd say this though, when you've got a majority, let me correct that, unanimous, vote on both major sites stating they want him gone. Do you ignore that, I think you'd be foolhardy if you did.

Worse than that though, say it's completely ignored. Are you happy with that? Can't say I would be, it'd prove that there is a complete disconnect with the supporter base. Effectively stating we're irrelevant. Call me hopelessly naive and optimistic, I sincerely hope we never get to that stage.

I'm not sure what is more comical :
  • Roberto's excuses for our consistent failings,
  • Dave's snippets of mockery hanging from his rod, all thinly veiled as apparent support for Martinez,
  • Or the fact people actually believe that @davek regards anything he says as truthful or meaningful,
Respect where respect is due, Dave is 'phenomenal' in his perseverance.

The new manager will be judged in context and that context will depend on what level of backing he's given.

In exactly the same way we've judged Brown Shoes, who's taken us backwards for 2 seasons, despite being funded at a level way beyond that of his predecessor.
5th spot
Two midtable finishes
Two cup semi finals

....on a midtable club level of funding. That is a decent record by any stretch of the imagination in three seasons with that spending.

A new manager has to get well in excess of that. As said, CL spot or GTF.

Really? We'll see.

Martinez did a better job than ginger bollocks and his hoofball for 11 seasons, so it's up to any new manager to get right past 72 points in his first season. That's only fair given he'd have a fortune to spend.

By the way, I can't wait to see this top class manager. Some no mark like De boer no doubt.

Be careful what you wish for is the old adage, and I'm certain we'll be finding that out at our leisure in the coming season or so.

Quoting Kenwright now. You really have gone full circle. Hope you're watching this space when Maryinez is given the heave ho and a proper manager comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back