Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Tony Barrett, The Times "The Game" section:

Headline: "After fans' rebellion, Martinez is now just waiting to be sacked"

Selected bits of report:

"Martinez is a good man, the kind of person who fits with Everton's wholesome image, but football is a results business and even the finest human qualities offer little protection when expectations are not met"
"The mood at Goodison was one of absolute resignation, the desire was for a season of disappointment to be put out of its misery. To add to Martinez's troubles, the negative atmosphere was taken in by Farhad Moshiri .... who cannot have failed to have noticed the plummeting approval rating of the manager he inherited"
"Everton have a big decision to make but whatever the course of action they take - and the likelihood is that Martinez's days are numbered - the hope must be that if they opt for a change, that they opt with the dignity for which they are renowned"
Ends: "If the feeling in the boardroom matches that among the protestors, Martinez's time will be up"

He's had every chance to succeed.

What disappoints me is that he failed to rectify obvious failings even when they had become serial and fatal eg Howard, poor subs, poor free kicks, poor corner kicks, poor team selection, laughable press conferences, mistaking Jags for Beckanbauer, mistaking his hat for Niasse, failing to raise the spirits of the team for a game with LFC, telling us that we were get better when the defeats were telling us something else.

Next season has to start with a good feeling and a new manager would be a start. He has too much baggage about him now and after Niasse cannot be trusted with a shiny new cheque-book.

Leicester have just beaten that magical total and are about to become Champions, the 72 point trophy is mickey mouse these days now a small club have just surpassed it.

YEP...;)

...but what a disgrace they are to watch though. It must be no fun at all that, watching that kinda rubbish week in and week out, all that 'players fighting for each other palaver' and winning the league with games to spare.

Eeeeee.........

They should be ashamed of themselves.

It's dizzzzzzzzzgusting and it belittles everything ROBERTO is trying to achieve with his not-at-all-flawed-philosophy.

I'm so glad we've achieved what we have.

Top class manager. If a truly top class manager is brought in Ill be impressed. Then I'll see if they perform in the first season as well as Martinez did in his. If not then I'd withdraw any support for them.

Tbh, I'd have no dog in that fight. They wouldn't be my choice of manager anyway. But anyone advocating managerial change right now should back whomever comes in after Martinez and continue to back them to the hilt otherwise they are inconsistent and fickle....and I'll remind them of that at every turn.

Next manager spending more money than Martinez has to secure CL football straight away or they are failing. Simple as that.

It doesn't make you inconsistent and fickle to change your opinion based upon empirical fact. It validates your opinions.

Weak opinions are formed by fundamentalism.

Why would Sky or any other media outlet need to lay the ground and "prepare" us for a change in management?

The only thing we are not "prepared" for is Bobby still being in charge come August.

:Blink:

I agree mate, The click business. 21st century "News" :-(

So you do know the Everton way. Now if only someone in the early days of the clubs formation had the foresight to put this in Latin somewhere to remind people who claim that successive bottom half finishes is good enough that it really really isn't.
If you're funded like a CL team, guess what? You need to secure CL football. Martinez wasn't funded to that degree and nowhere near it. His successor will, so he has to get it or get out. It's very simple. The stakes got massively higher. Hound out a manager who got 5th with hardly any financial backing - then a well backed manager has to get top four. That is where we now stand.

...isn't that just the point though mate, RM hardly had to rely on a sense of chance nor acumen application & savvy with LUKAKU really did he?

Can you think of a suitable replacement assuming, as is likely, that ROM offs? I can't

Can you also honestly say you'd trust him to find one? I can't say that either....NIASSE?

Pffffffffff............

Can you also honestly consider that we'd be a more appealing option for the purchase of such mythical players given we may finish, say, 14th with a manager at the helm who insists he's gonna stick with his 'formula' despite admitting other ways are perhaps more fruitful? It's hardly a draw that is it? So I can't see that either...

He's fractured and he's ballooned the best chance he'll have at management progression. Know why?

Because he's a terrible manager.

It really is that simple.
But, he also brought in Deulofeu and how many of us knew about him or ever would have thought we had a chance of getting him.
Funes Mori, Galloway even Lennon.

I think there are two sides to the RM equation and unfortunately the side to do with playing games and winning matches has fallen below an acceptable level and he will probably lose his job because of this.

But, there are elements of the job he did very well. imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back