Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. The floodgates have opened now. There's no way anything but real success is going to be tolerated with cash spent. That means any new manager has to get a CL in their first two seasons or win a cup.

Things have changed. People might say after one season in the top half again that it's ok, but from that season on any everton manager is on borrowed time.
Dave, serious question, and apologies if you've already answered this, when the inevitable happens and Bobby is binned, who do you think should replace him? I've only heard you be negative about the names mentioned, so I am genuinely intrigued who you think should replace him and why? I'll admit, at first I wasn't sure about Martinez, then I'll admit again that I got quite excited of the prospect of playing some exciting football after the Moyes years, but I've now realised I was totally wrong.
I think everyone can see that there's something seriously wrong at the club, and especially the dressing room, so to give him more time, in my opinion would be suicide. As we saw at Chelsea, it's much easier to fire the manager than get rid of an entire team when things turn sour..whoever that manager is.
So, let's just say that Bobby decided he didn't need the grief and resigned first thing in the morning and you didn't need to defend him anymore, who do you want to come in, play exciting football and actually win something?

That's just bizarre - there's loyal then there's utterly inflexible. Not everyone has to stay entrenched in an opinion in spite of growing evidence to the contrary before their very eyes. Believing that things are that black and white is not a outlook that is conducive to being right about football.

It's a shame because you seem very coherent and intelligent - anchoring yourself to this corner and defending the ridiculous for the sake of it is a shame. He's taken us backwards and people are asking for a change because they are loyal to the club - not one man's philosophy which he has failed to implement here.

It's called closed minded and he takes it to levels unheard of in this universe.

It's ridiculous to say it's "top four or bust" for a new manager. They'll get a season to finish top 8 and at least improve on the horror of Martinez in the last two seasons.

His second season, with the expected resources pumped in, is when we'll have expectations of continental qualification.

If Martinez had even been remotely average over the last season, he'd have a job at Everton going into the next. It's the sheer size of his failure which has led him to a 93%+ of the fanbase wanting the fraud binned.

It says it all that he's about to lose his job, when everything in our recent history suggests that this job is the safest in world football. That's how bad he's been.

Martinez latest excuse regarding the age of the squad.

Matt_Cheetham (Football Statistician at Sky Sports) 'players to make a PL squad in Moyes' final season had a slightly younger ave. age than this one.'

To add, Moyes' 08/09 squad had a younger average starting 11 than this season. They finished 5th.

Martinez heralding this squad as the best Everton team since the championship teams on the 80s, and the best young side in Europe - before then claiming two bottom half finishes isn't underperforming.

Martinez latest excuse regarding the age of the squad.

Matt_Cheetham (Football Statistician at Sky Sports) 'players to make a PL squad in Moyes' final season had a slightly younger ave. age than this one.'

The excuses show that this guy never quite got Everton. If he had straight-talked and been honest with the fans, he'd have a lot, lot more backers now.

What's turned everyone against him is the obvious lies and ridiculous buzzwords coming out of his stupid face every time he opens his mouth.

The excuses show that this guy never quite got Everton. If he had straight-talked and been honest with the fans, he'd have a lot, lot more backers now.

What's turned everyone against him is the obvious lies and ridiculous buzzwords coming out of his stupid face every time he opens his mouth.

Does not know when to keep his trap shut.

January

“As Everton manager, I take responsibility; we have to be a winning team,” he says. “We should be winning games and winning titles, not just looking to compete and hope for a win. Winning is in this club’s DNA and it has been too long since we won a title. We have the talent at this club: we are not quite the finished article yet, otherwise we would be top of the league, but we have to try to win something in the next five months.”

"I don’t think winning a cup will keep the young players, I think qualifying for the Champions League could help to keep young players," Martinez said.

"The reality is that we have taken a very different approach to what we are as a team than we took at this club three years ago. Three years ago it was a very experienced team who knew how to win games but had some sort of ceiling.

"Now we have gone very young with immense potential to go beyond that ceiling, and there has been investment in that potential so we will get the rewards from it."

This young team he places so much on - it's all going to be pulled out from under his feet come the summer. Lukaku wants to leave, so does Stones who put in his transfer request at the very first opportunity. Even Ross Barkley is unsure.

His project, his 'play thing' has failed. His own players don't believe in him.

He is 3 years into a 4 year project in which he promised Champions League, we're 12 points from relegation, 20 from 4th.

January

This young team he places so much on - it's all going to be pulled out from under his feet come the summer. Lukaku wants to leave, so does Stones who put in his transfer request at the very first opportunity. Even Ross Barkley is unsure.

His project, his 'play thing' has failed. His own players don't believe in him.

He is 3 years into a 4 year project in which he promised Champions League, we're 12 points from relegation, 20 from 4th.

Aye. Talk about making a rod for your own back...

Only Everton manager in recent Emory to actually win a trophy worth mentioning. He'll be a winner again. No question.

Know who else is winning a trophy in memory?

Leicester.

But you said they wouldn't even finish in the top four. Shows what you know I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back