Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

What makes you believe he's still the right man for the job? What would it take for you to change your opinion on him?​

I have a long-standing view that football is all about short-termism and a project like the current manager had when he joined the Club can't be easily done in 3 seasons. You may quote Ranieri, and that's fine, but will he be as successful next season? I don't think so, so what will they do, sack him for regression?
I also think certain players have done the Club a huge disservice by playing for themselves, not holding their hands up when they've made schoolboy errors, spoken to the press when they should keep stuff in house and generally thinking they're much better than they are. All this crap about wanting to play in the CL is nonsense....it's about bigger salaries nothing more. If Everton offered Lukaku twice as much per month as a CL side I know where he'd be playing. And besides, most Clubs have zero chance of winning the CL and those that qualifying generally get 4-5 games before being dumped by the big guns.
I accept Martinez is on really thin ice, and that forum-wise getting rid is a popular choice. I was ridiculed a couple of weeks ago for saying the forum view wasn't neccesarily representative of the match day crowd view, and Saturdays protest confirmed that for me. Around 100 from a crowd of 36,000 to 37,000. I understand some want to protest, and it was done in the proper way, with the exception of idiots giving the manager grief in the car park. But the numbers were less than a single percentage point. I'm not into stats but that's hardly a sway of opinion.
In terms of when it's right for the manager to go I'd say 10-12 games into the new season when he knows what he has squad-wise and if we're not picking up points at home and sat below 6th or 7th.
Not a popular view on here but an honest one nonetheless. Be nice to have an opinion without the usual suspects attacking it.....it is what it is, I respect the 'out' vote if that's what you want, so let's see a little bit of reciprocation.
Everton as a Club have always stood shoulders above everyone else where class and dignity are concerned - Saturday's tribute to the families of the 96 epitomised it, and I think RM has that in bundles and has put together a really promising squad - so, I'd like to see him given some time.

"Home record"? So what? Since when did we start splitting home and away records off from each other? Oh yeah, I remember, since it was declared open season on Martinez.

Only two stats that count and ones that will stand up long after he leaves:

Best PL points total
3rd best win % of any Everton manager

They^^^^ are stats that the new man with far more cash to spend needs to surpass very quickly indeed....or they'll be out quicker than RM.

You want stats. I give you stats man. Look at his winning rate in PL in the last two seasons. 22 wins in 73 matches = 30% winning rate.

We are going to finish in the bottom half two seasons in a row since 2002.

Stop using the 72 points trophy as an excuse to cover up. 11th last season and 11th again with three games to go.

"Home record"? So what? Since when did we start splitting home and away records off from each other?

Since our home form became one of the worst in Europe? Since fans shell out £40 of their hard earned money to attend the game and are lucky to see us scrape a draw?

How can you not see what is in front of you?

Liverpool battered us the other week, we barely put up a fight, we're keeping Watford and Swansea company in the league table and you act as though Martinez should be proud of this season.

Because we're getting shut of a manager who got 5th and our PL points record. If a new man coming in can't get a CL spot with vastly more resources they get less time than RM has had.

That is logical.

Believe me mate. If the new manager doesn't get CL footy in two seasons he'll be down the road. The rules of engagement have changed.

Don't you think that's a good thing? We aren't bobbing along anymore like we have under Kenwright.

"Terrible" - midtable finishes and two cup semi finals do NOT constitute the description "terrible".

This ^^^^ by the way is why I now insist on calling any Martinez successor who has cash to spend a failure if he doesn't get us a CL spot or a cup in his first season.

These standards are with us now, and if people are applying harsh ones to Martinez to get him sacked you can be sure I and others will be holding the next fellers feet to the fire if he falls short having spent ten times more than Roberto.

The new rules are in place and there's no going back now.

Change everton managers quickly from now on until we get a manager who gets success. That is the way forward.
Martinez didn't achieve any of those things either, In his first, second or third seasons.

"Terrible" - midtable finishes and two cup semi finals do NOT constitute the description "terrible".

This ^^^^ by the way is why I now insist on calling any Martinez successor who has cash to spend a failure if he doesn't get us a CL spot or a cup in his first season.

These standards are with us now, and if people are applying harsh ones to Martinez to get him sacked you can be sure I and others will be holding the next fellers feet to the fire if he falls short having spent ten times more than Roberto.

The new rules are in place and there's no going back now.

Change everton managers quickly from now on until we get a manager who gets success. That is the way forward.

3 years is not quickly and despite your love of his first season it's now obvious given his premier league record that it was a fluke

Dress it up if you like, it might be midtable but it's also bottom half, again

You have changed your language because you can't say 7th and 2 cup runs isn't terrible. Remember how adamant you were that we would finish at least seventh.

We used to get weekly updates from you on how close we were to 5th and how great a position we would be in after winning our games at hand

Now you threaten to throw your toys out of the pram because it turns out you were mistaken

Man up and support the team not the manager

Last edited:
He won't have me to worry about. But he wil have a load of County Road ninjas with bed sheets parachuting onto his Bentley to kill him if he fails.

I don't live on County Road. And I am not a ninja, but this season and last I have been a bit of a winja..

. IMG_5368.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back